1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films Green Zone

Discussion in 'General' started by Unicorn, 10 Mar 2010.

1. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Well, that was a couple of hours of meh...

So predictable it was boring. Each character was like a template. There was the guy in the middle. He's not sure who to trust, but he goes with his instincts and gets in deep, but does the right thing! There's the bad guy political type. There's the old grumpy mentor. There's the bad-ass almost rogue guy who has no morals and just likes fighting and there is even a sidekick with one leg!

My advice, buy the dvd for £1.99 in a few months.

I wish I'd seen Shutter Island. Now that looks good!

Also, why why why why are they using such a rubbish trailer for Kick Ass?? That film looks fantastic, but the only trailer been shown in UK cinemas is just vague and confusing. I want people to go see that film so that they can make another!

2. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Erm... No offence, but it's based on a true story. If you know the story, you are kinda going to feel that it's a bit predictable.

Plus, I don't think you really appreciate it for what it is. The sheer logistics of how they shot it blew me away, never mind the direction, acting and cutting.

3. October

October Mariachi Style

Believe me, if you have a functioning brain you probably won't enjoy Shutter Island. Such a monumental disappointment :grr: Don't get me wrong, Scorsese and DiCaprio are brilliant at what they do, no reservations about that, but once you figure out the ending (which won't take long) the rest of the movie becomes redundant. I wrote a short with the exact same twist in tech :wallbash::wallbash:

4. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

This I am looking forward to watching

5. Unicorn

Was I, by any chance, in that short? ;) Maybe not though....

6. DRC™

DRC™ What's a Dremel?

Going to see it sometime this week, big fan of the Bourne films. :D

7. October

October Mariachi Style

You were not actually :lol: it's the last one we made before starting IPN :D

8. Unicorn

Thought so. Someone else wrote IPN right?

9. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I think the shakycam is more something you have to get past personally than something you can legitimately factor into your assessment of a film's quality. I no longer give any credence to reviewers who mark a film down because of it; it's like someone with a phobia of sharp objects marking down Gladiator because it gave them nervous fits. Physiological barriers like this are worth noting so that other sufferers know to avoid it, but that's as far as it should encroach on our assessment of films in my opinion.

edit -
    +1. I enjoyed that film, but I was never entirely clear on why the car flew into a barrel roll. I assumed I just lacked the necessary understanding of vehicular physics...

[​IMG]

Last edited: 14 Mar 2010
  10. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I didn't know the story.

Just because it's a true story though doesn't make the story interesting. My life is a true story but I doubt you'd want to watch it. Obviously that's an exaggeration, I'm sure this story is more interesting than mine, but even so, they obviously took some liberties with the characters and situations to make it more exciting but the resulting film was just irritating because of it.

Just as an example: If that bad guy rogue army dude was just another guy it would have been more believable, but because of his exaggerated character you knew exactly what was coming next every step of the way.

And you're right I don't appreciate the the logistics behind such a film. If it was a good film I might have been interested... But it wasn't. It was pants.

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I quite enjoyed it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I didn't pay to see it (Friends dad paid), but all the same it didn't make me angry.

Psyched me up for airsoft this weekend, though >.>

12. October

October Mariachi Style

:eeek: :eyebrow: Hell to the no! That was my baby through n through! With a little help from Larry :nono:

13. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Well, since everyone's "assessment" of a film is merely an opinion, and as such differs from one person to the next, how is it not relevant? It's not a physiological barrier any more than an aversion to a terribly bad storyline, which, in someone else's opinion, might be quite good. There's no pre-defined guideline for an "assessment" of a film - you either like it or you don't, and that is based on the film as a whole, but is made up of the various elements like acting, special effects - or in this case, directing. I'm not a fan of the way the films using this effect are directed, and that translates into my overall opinion (and therefore "assessment") of the film. It's not just something I can personally get over, even if you can - I just don't like it, and I know I'm not the only one.

14. Unicorn

Oops, sorry. I thought Larry wrote it.

15. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Watched it on Sunday, pretty darn good in my opinion, plus there's a hilarious story to go with seeing it.

Well, basically me and two of my friends saw some rather rough looking people outside on the way in, the chavvy kind of rough way. We thought nothing of it, bought the tickets, went in, sat down, all was fine.

A couple of minutes through the trailer however and we see them coming up the centre aisle to sit near us and there were literally 20 of them, and they made so much noise! The odd thing was, they had a massive variety of accents and none of them knew each other.

Eventually, they were kicked out and we were offered a refund for the inconvenience (Free film! Score!) It conspired they were all "travellers" aka gypsies who regularly came in an caused havoc.

So yeah, I didn't hear the first few minutes of the film, but the rest certainly good, especially since it was free! :D