1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware XFX ATI Radeon HD 5830 1GB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 22 Mar 2010.

1. DbD

DbD Minimodder

So it's slower then the 4890 in ati card favouring benches and the GTX 260 in nvidia favouring ones. Both those cards were £120-£140 last Summer, now this is available for £190? Sure you can o/c but you could o/c the 4890 and GTX 260 too.

2. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

XFX HD 5830 1GB Review
    Manufacturer: XFXS

:D

3. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Slight adjustment of the settings can offer much greater performance increases. The problem is that more and more PC Gamers do not wish to turn anything off, down or overclock to improve performance (or do not bother to learn how to). Instead they adopt the Console Gamers attitude of 'I just want it to work out the box'. Personally I would rather do the reaserch and learn what I need to and save myself the best part of £100. What is widely recognised is that far too many people have more money than sense.

4. cybergenics

cybergenics What's a Dremel?

Rather pointless statement. What you are saying is you get more performance by turning stuff down. Right, I also heard that my car would be lighter and go quicker if I removed the seats. :duh:

The bottom line is, cards like the 5770 which people (and on this very forum) are reckoning way exceeed the performance of old stuff like the 260, actually don't, and your solution is turn down settings.

Thanks for that one.

5. SchizoFrog

Its about cost versus performance. Yes the car would perform slightly better without the weight of the seats but as your sarcasm denotes it would be of detrimental effect. However, remove the golf clubs, bowling ball, tool box from the boot and speed, handling and MPG are all going to improve in varying amounts.

My point is that people tend to complain that said game is unplayable on certain hardware so they claim that they need to spend an extra £80-£150 for an extra 2-3 FPS. All I am saying is that a slight adjustment of the game's settings would increase the FPS and therefore playability far above 2-3 FPS gained just by chucking in a new GPU.

A massive part of these reviews are concerned with efficiency. You could also drive your car like a T@#T but if you were to learn to drive properly (low revs, stable speed instead of accelerating and then breaking, allowing for slowing down space behind the vehicles in front...etc) you actually look after your car and save hundreds of £'s per year.

So when it comes to actual practical gaming, I would keep my current hardware and adjust a games settings to a playable and still enjoyable level with the knowledge that my £200+ remains in my bank account.

6. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Time to upgrade from my 4850? Might need to upgrade to win7 too :S

7. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

My Sapphire ATi HD4870 1GB Toxic is still a player in this war. It runs everything I throw at it really fine. Only thing I'm for is when Crossfire gives a huge (promised) graphic's boost, buy another if I can find it or a Sapphire HD4890 Toxic or a XFX HD4890 Black Edition that my brother has, never saw crossfire's config like that and I'm willing to be a pseudo-first.

I'm only trading my graphics when it dies until then 5870 can wait and by then a possible 5980 (2x5870) might be out instead of the 5890 (2x5850).

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

just noticed you are using 9.10 for 5870 and 5850.

please don't forget to use ATI's latest drivers (namely 10.3a or 10.3 if it's available) for benchmarking against gtx480. apparently there's a large performance increase on 5870 in that driver, to combat nVidia.

9. cybergenics

This is a very subjective evaluation of economics. Do you drink beer ? I could wax lyrical on how that is a waste of money or any other indulgence you might be involved in.

Furthermore, what exactly does this have to do with my statement that the 5770 isn't actually better than the old 260 ?

I agree that spending extra sometimes isn't worth it, but in the case of this card, the 5830, you might as well not buy it at all if you can't spend a bit more on the 5850.

10. SchizoFrog

@ cybergenics

My comments follow on from my original statement about the development of hardware, maybe my comment would make more sense if you read them all together?

As for your comment about drinking and other indulgencies... I drink, for the pleasure of the drink and certainly not to get drunk and hungover. I don't know about you I do not buy hardware to enjoy the hardware but as a means to an end, to have a PC that runs games and applications.

You may disagree with my opinions and you are welcome to, but please stop just insulting mine.

11. cybergenics

Well you are clearly being ridiculous now so I bid you good evening.

12. SchizoFrog

Some can't see the forest for the tress... good evening to you too.

13. rollo

rollo Modder

10.3a give marginal upgrades to my 5850 (1-2 min fps at 1900 high settings)(min is all that matters in this day) unless it affects 5870 only i dont see how it would make a huge dif

back on topic. 5830 is still a pile of crap and always will be either buy the 4890 if you can find it a quiet aftermarket cooler moddle pref. Or get the 5850 and above.

Performance per watt is irelivent, Want to save money on electric bill dont use the dishwasher or the microwave or cooker for a few days, Would save more money in a week than you would in a year on a less powered graphics card.

Thermal performance is about all i read i ignore all the power stuff dont see how its relivent to the review tbh.

Granted 5770 might destroy anything when its considered but it gets owned by the 4870 and 90 in every other test around that price bracket.

And i still fail to see the purpose of this card at £200. At £150 i might see a reason with the 5850 back at £200 thats the margins i had it down when i brought mine (£189 5850 ) a £69 price upgrade since last year sounds fun though.

Dont really play into any fan boy catagory usauly buy whats best avail at a price bracket im willing to pay ( 5870 at £320 around the time i was upgrading was a bit much)

14. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

funny enough, Hexus benchmark on 10.2 vs 10.3a were using 5850 and shown to have a large FPS boost: Dirt 2 Dx11 from 35 to 40. (only quoted one because this is the only game that is in Dx11, Dx9/10 performance no one really cares, all cards max out anyway)

15. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I *might* grab another HD4850, although I might be CPU bottlenecked, it doesn't matter too much, getting one at $100 would give me an overall benefit more than the HD5830.

And i don't even need to overclock after that!

16. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

I don't like HD 5830 as you might as well just save your pennies for a HD 5850 and get far better performance and use less electricity. Not to mention the HD 5830 doesn't overclock well at all. The HD 5850 when overclocked gets you HD 5870 performance and don't get me started on crossfire, WOW.

HD 5830 is a bad move.

17. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Still sticking to my 9600GT and waiting for Fermi to come out, mainly because it'd force sellers to drop their pricing of remaining GTX260/GTX275 stocks. :D

18. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Two years and transferrable warranty in Portugal, since 2003, as default.
    UK hasnt yet adopted Directive 44/1999?

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I wouldn't count on it, Fermi products do not compete with GTX260 products and no one stocks GTX275 any more anyway.

20. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I under understand this card. Why pay £200 for a card that doesn't even outperform prev-gen cards like the GTX260 and the 4890, both of which can be had for 25--30% less? Sure, it is a DX11 card, but given there are few DX11 games out there, is it worth paying an extra £40?

Tags: Add Tags