News HP Slate specs leaked

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 6 Apr 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. ImInTheZoneBaby

ImInTheZoneBaby Bring it on sucka!

Lower battery and a smaller screen. Hmm.
    They could improve that, but I suppose it could be worth it, seeing as you don't get the heavily restricted Apple operating system.

3. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

These things will be fail because to pull off touch you need an OS designed with a touch interface and control in mind so while this will be more flexible and powerful the overall experience will probably suck compared to something like the iPad in usability terms.

That said I would probably buy something like this over an iPad.

Last edited: 6 Apr 2010
  4. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Looks nice, if it's £300 or less then I might think about picking one up, otherwise I'll look at some swivel screen ultraportables.

5. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

This was actually what I was expecting. A bit more powerful, and that would be a minus on the battery life.

6. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Thing is that this is a full PC running windows 7 and not just a novelty giant iPhone. The limitations of the Atom platform are still massive though so I'm hardly taken with it. Some hands on time required.

7. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

What about graphics? The question is, Does it run Crysis?!

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

£500 I recon. Z-series Atoms are expensive and it's a bespoke design, not normal laptop tooling.

Proxess: Atom graphics. You'll be lucky to run Aero.

9. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Since I got iPhone 3GS, the only thing i'd want would be a bigger one - I just love to browse the interwebs from my bed or sofa. Apple has really got things right with their touchscreen an OS, and imho these two are the things which will define the given device as a success or a failure. A slate-sized device would only suffer if it's forced to choke on a fullblown Windows.

10. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

the question is wether plants vs zombies is better on the iPad or the HP Slate
    I forsee this device being a failure just like HP totally screwing the Envy release with misinformation, hardware and software failures

11. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

If I'm really honest, I don't think I will ever need such a device other than for pure gadget geekness. My HTC phone can get me online if I really need to on the road. My netbook can get me online in bed or on the toilet. My Desktop can do everything else and kill Zombies effortlessly.

Will this or the iTampax fill in any of the gaps that I may unforeseeably have? I can see the additional benefit of the HP working such as the extra connectivity but is that enough?

I'm no cheapskate but I really would need to seriously justify the outlay on one of these instead of desktop upgrades.

12. Xir

Xir Modder

sooo...it's a netbook, really.

But why not buy a convertible like the Eee PC T91MT (or something similar) with the same hardware for less money, and have an additional keyboard?

13. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

Lmao, you'll be able to run flash videos showing crysis

14. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

1024x600 resolution fail. Atom Gfx fail.
    I thought the video chip makers, (ATI Nvidia), made a huge push over the last 2 years to enable their chips to go to ultra low power when idle. Why can't they get it together for the netbook generation?

15. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I'm skeptical over windows7 os. They need to design a mobile os tailored for this product specifically. That's the strongest area of the ipad and even iphone that apple designed their own mobile os. While windows 7 is good my concern is that its heavy for the specs and thus sacrifices speed and battery.

It will be interesting to see where the tablet martket goes but I don't think it'll be an imediate success. While this has me kinda excited Ill wait until the 5th gen ipad before I start looking at them. After all it'll take apple that long to include all the features of the iphone

16. rollo

rollo Modder

Win7 on 1gb ram and a 1.6ghz processor just be too slow

5hrs battery life is lol In this day and age

if ipad really does get 10hrs of life that's a good days usage

Niether will replace the laptop and I would never buy a netbook

ipad gets more and more tempting. Wonder why it supports the pen feature surely it's fully touch compatiable

600mhz on win 7 vs 1ghz on ipad custom built os dout it will be faster if anything it willl be slower

uk price will be above £400 for both I guess

17. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i think it's either people not sure what they want or the current technology is not ready yet.

the iPad is a very good implementation, although limited, it offers everything the device is capable of, nothing more. the HP Slate offers so much more, tried to pack a netbook into such a small package, but due to technology is not ready yet, it feels clumsy and runs out of battery really fast.

there ought to be a half way house, a redesigned interface that offers more than the iPhone OS by taking advantage of the full screen and possible peripherals (USB, SD reader) but doesn't require as much battery as Intel Atom running full Windows.

18. Blanx3_Bytex

Blanx3_Bytex What's a Dremel?

Was tegra not good enough for this?
    I thought Nvidia was pushing it for just such products like this.

19. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

When's courier coming? Are there any Tegra slates that anyone knows about? I'm looking forward to serious competition in this sector.

20. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

It's immediately a better product to me because it's not running the iphone OS.

Tags: Add Tags