1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News New Ethernet A/V standard aims to take down HDMI

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 2 Jul 2010.

1. saspro

saspro IT monkey

So they've merged this with a standard network card then?

2. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

I paid £15 for a 10m HDMI cable from scan (or play have them aswell). Digital cables do not need to be expensive, as long as the signal reaches the end then no information is lost. Analogue cables the material quality has a larger impact due to the possibility to knock information off of the waveform.

3. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Although better digital cables have less signal loss so error correction does not need to be applied so much thus producing a better quality picture.

4. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Digital cable?

I can't wait to see $100+ fancy ethernet cables.

5. amacieli

amacieli What's a Dremel?

Not at all stupid. I have CAT6 throughout the house - several ports per room. By using something like the Intelix system (avovercat5.com) I can move my cable box to the basement with the rest of the electronic junk that I have (like switches, vonage boxes, wireless phone bases, modems, and who knows what else) and plug whatever TV I have wherever I want. I'd just not connect the "TV" CAT6 cable to the switch.

Why on earth would I necessarily want or need to have the HD and IR signals routed through my switch? I don't plan on moving my TV around very much.

6. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

7. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Can you show me a rigourous "double blind" study to back this claim up?

Unless the cable being used is so poor or so long or suffering massive interference the signal won't get degraded enough for there to be picture loss.

A quality cable should be able to run longer and shield itself from more interference, but time and time again over priced cables for digital connections have proven to supply no more accurate a digital signal than standard cables.

BTW, I'm not claiming that there aren't some really poor HDMI cables out there which are badly made - I'm sure there are some dreadful cables out there, but "most" cables will perform just as well as an expensive one.

8. Bionic-Blob

Bionic-Blob What's a Dremel?

For me it would be extremely useful to view whats happening on my server if it crashes or RDP/NIC fails, unless anyone knows of a cheap out-of-band management solution?

9. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I already do this, its called HDMI over Ethernet and I recommend using Cat6 for it. Works great, crystal clear 1080p and 7.1 audio with no noticeable signs of degrade or noise.

10. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Cool! I added my own ;)

11. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

So you can watch your Sky HD on any PC/laptop in the house? Stream content to your Xbox. Be able watch the content at multiple locations simultaneously? Have several different streams broadcasting all at once?

And by the way, I wasn't suggesting piping signals over Cat5e/Cat6 is a bad idea... It's a fantastic idea - cheap cabling with low signal loss, good number of twisted pairs, what's not to love? It's sticking an RJ45 connector on the end.

RJ45 is for Ethernet networking. Making it dual purpose is confusing and will lead to tears when equipment end up getting fried.

12. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

13. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

I just can't wait to see $557 Monster HD-e cables in best buy. 120 feet, with gold plated connectors, you see!

14. HourBeforeDawn

you know what I loved is that Best Buy Rocket Fish brand 50ft HDMI Cable that sells for $125-$150 at cost if you work there is $14 lol but hey thats how these companies make money is on cables not on hardware.

15. Noob4ever

Noob4ever always learning

meh, I just buy cat5 in spools and plug the ends on myself, easy quick and exactly the length i need it to be

16. flaming_goat

flaming_goat What's a Dremel?

This will be a disaster for non technically mined people. I can imagine people plugging their tv into their router and complaining it dosent work. Also what about blu - ray player which have ethernet, everyone will be plugging the tv into the ethernet instead of the same connector hd output!

17. Noob4ever

Noob4ever always learning

I imagine goat, that they'd have some specific colored cat 5 to fix this issue, or striped in someway w/e, were talking about some of the biggest companies in the business, their not idiots :D

18. HourBeforeDawn

not completely but to agree to have HDCP was a big dumbass move on their part such a stupid standard...

19. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

It's required to view high definition content such as Blu-Ray. You can complain all you want about the morals of the standard, but from a technological perspective, not including HDCP would be disastrous for this idea.

Just as everyone plugs their Xbox 360 into their PS3?

20. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Well, for one the RJ45 connector actually clicks into place, unlike HDMI connectors which good likelihood of dropping out of the port (not unlike SATA connectors). That's a plus in my book.

Tags: Add Tags