1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors What am I getting myself into?

Discussion in 'General' started by chimmy09, 28 Jun 2010.

1. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

I demand more pics!

Good luck and I hope to see you back in a few months with good developments and more pics! :)

2. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Any progress to report?

3. chimmy09

chimmy09 What's a Dremel?

no progress yet, been busy with work and all hat. need to clean out the place i will be working on it in first.

4. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

If I had that car, i'd be tempted to really work it :rock: Corvette QOHC V8, sporty & lowered suspension, ~18" wheels, black soft top, leather interior, dark blue or red metallic paint, big sound system, etc... easy to spend $20 or $30k like this this :worried:

What's the goal with this car? Is this going to be your car to keep? You might be able to get a much newer car in good condition, for the same money it would cost to get this thing in a good condition.

Or you trying to patch it up and make money on selling? I dunno if anything could possibly be made on this car? But I guess if you get your money back on selling, then it was a fun learning project & cost nothing :D

Whatever you do, I wanna see some burnout videos :naughty:

5. chimmy09

...well, I guess now is as good a time as any to give some of the backstory for the car.

The car used to belong to my uncle. His girlfriend and her kids took it to Oregon(we live in Washington) and I'm not exactly what they did to **** it up, but it was abandoned in a ditch on the side of the road. The Oregon police took it and had it stored. A few days later the cops called my grandpa and told him that he needed to come and claim the car. They didn't tell him that the car didn't run. My grandpa went and paid $600 to get the car out of storage, then had to pay even more to get it towed back to where we live. After we got the car back it kind of just sat around for a while, not getting fixed. I am pretty sure it was during this time that the car had the headlights and radio and other various parts taken from it(my uncle was big into drugs, as were many of his "friends" that he would hang around with). Before the car was fixed, my uncle was shot and killed by his drug dealer. After that was when the car was taken to where it is right now, where it has been sitting for years(maybe 8 or 9, I can't remember exactly). Anyways, since I am going to be going through my local Community College's Automotive Repair program starting in the fall, I asked if I could try and fix up the car. So there is the story.

TL;DR : I plan to fix the car and keep it for myself for as long as I can... Sentimental reasons.

6. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I read it all, which at least most of which you posted in that earlier thread, but this last point is enough reason to spend some cash fixing it propertly.

If that engine hasn't turned in 8 or 9 years, i'm guessing it might be seized :miffed: Before you go spending any money on any parts, the first thing i'd do is get a breaker bar, and see if you can turn the motor.

7. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

At least living in America you'll have access to plenty of cheapish parts, and as long as you can keep the motivation up when things get tricky or go wrong you should be fine. At least from the story you've got a great reason to get it back on the road.

Ive completely given up my stude resto, because parts are difficult to find here and tbh i lost all heart in the project when i was getting crazy shipping quotes! My resto if i lived in the states would cost $5000-$10,000 over here its getting nearer $30000 for the same spec!

8. chimmy09

small update:
    used a tractor and some chains to tow the car up to my grandparents from where it was, and it has been hosed off. I am going to give it a proper wash tomorrow and then I will take some more pics(tbh it looks so much better with just the rinse.)

9. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Yeah the paintwork will be destroyed from all the bird much though, as someone has already said. That's going to need a respray.

10. JCG

JCG What's a Dremel?

It's not leaking oil, it's marking his territory. Or just see it as a feature: if the oil pool under the car stop getting bigger you need to add more oil

11. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Ah, I've done this. Clean out the gas tank, change the oil and water, new battery and start it. It's likely the brakes are locked up and need worked over, so don't go for a test drive.:D
    Pre-fuel injection Fords are easy to get running again. Thank God you don't have 4 wheel drum brakes. They suck when they rust in place.

My biggest problem was the gas tank. I had a '63 and the tank was rusty and badly gummed. The filter on the inside of the tank got cruddy and I had to deal with vapor lock symptoms caused by that.