1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Dell drops online sales of Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 26 Jul 2010.

1. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

It's not difficult. Call them up to order and request no Windows OS. They will then offer a free hardware upgrade instead of the OS.

2. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

Didnt Dell do this a while ago? As in offer Ubuntu laptops and then stop selling them.
    Im getting a serious case of DeJaVu right now :worried:

3. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Why should they set an example? businesses drop commercially unviable products all the time, from their own figures dell have decided to drop the product from online purchase, you can still get it if you really want it though.

The problem is that linux ISNT for your average joe thats spent the last 10+ years on a windows OS, there will always be issues with some software, hardware or peripheral which we (bit-techers) would work around, that average joe couldnt even with all the steps laid out infront of them.

I usse ubuntu on my netbook and media PC and its better in those situations than any windows install, but i still wouldnt use it on my main rig or lappy.

4. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I rarely say this to crazyceo but I agree.

urgh i feel dirty....

5. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

Money.

Is the explanation.

You're welcome.

6. MrZephyr

MrZephyr What's a Dremel?

I reckon that 'joe public' don't understand the concept of an operating system and would be genuinely amazed that a pc could run without windows being installed on it!

In fact they probably think that windows is part of the hardware, not software!! So to then have a company telling them that they could try something that they haven't ever heard of, when they know windows and (ignorantly) like windows is an absurd proposition... people don't like change and never will.

I like linux, but having just been studying it next to windows, people surveyed just don't like it because it isn't windows... can't get around that.

7. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

How is liking windows "ignorant"? There are plenty of things to like about it.

Of course, the systems dell was/is selling with Ubuntu on aren't really good enough to run windows anyway... netbooks are far too wimpy for a proper windows 7 experience, IMHO.

8. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

seems Dell have added an ubuntu desktop to their US site... check it out!

9. Shagbag

Shagbag All glory to the Hypnotoad!

Maybe there aren't enough sales to justify it in their product line. With Intel scaling back it's subsidies, Dell is less willing to put the finance into developing a market.

I think we should also be mindful of the move by consumers away from static desktop PCs to mobile devices. With Google prepping ChromeOS and Android already being the largest smartphone OS, I expect we'll see Dell selling these devices in the future.

10. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

This does rather beg the question "what else is it for".

Being a somewhat worse, more difficult-to-use desktop OS than Windows? Frankly I'm still impressed every time I get a Linux box to successfully print something, it's not really a day to day experience I particularly hanker after.

11. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

@ Phil Rhodes.
    Really?
    I installed Xubuntu on my Dads old PC the other day and it recognised the printer straight away and printed without having to install any additional drivers. Getting the scanner to work involved downloading the HP drivers, but that was simple enough, even for a Linux noob like me.

12. NickCPC

NickCPC Minimodder

Holy thread revival batman... O_O

13. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Bit needs a collection of memes for occasions like this that are resident to the sire, like the slileys are.

Just think how much easier it would be top type : holythreadrevival : and get that graphic!

Also, : nope :

Tags: Add Tags