1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I'm going to sound like a whiney, jealous bitch by saying this but I don't do it often, and at the moment, I don't care how it sounds because it's true.

Lately, I've noticed more and more from having friends and people I went to school with on Facebook and flicking through their profiles every now and again that most of them have changed a lot since I last saw them, or since I left school (in some cases, the last time I saw them was when I left school). Most of them have also been abroad or lived in a different country for an extended period of time, as well as having holidays abroad. Comparing that to the past 4 years of my life, which have consisted of work, studying, poor health and more work... it's easy to see why I feel incredibly jealous of these people, who seem to have had the time of their lives in their "student years". This is hammered home even more by my plans to live and work in Canada for a couple of months this year falling through. Overall, it's left me wondering if the choices I've made over the past few years have been the right ones. I can't remember the last time I went out of the country for a holiday. I spent a long weekend in Glasgow for a family wedding earlier this year, staying at the Hilton, and not having to do anything for a few days was heaven. I've been left thinking that I need to shift my focus from working, saving and studying to just saving as much money as I can for the rest of this year then disappearing for about year to visit a few different countries.

Then again, if I hadn't spent the past few years living, working and studying in this country, I wouldn't have met any of the most awesome people I know, who instantly became my closest group of friends when I met them. Huh, there are two sides to every coin.

2. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Sounds quite a lot like me Unicorn

3. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Unicorn, how many of these people have also been frivolously spending beyond their means and will now have a huge crippling debt?

Probably not many - I ****ing hate how people can just declare bankruptcy and be done with it. Send 'em to the workhouse!

4. Canon

Canon Reformed

I'm feeling horribly prudish having just sent an e-mail to Thermaltake informing them of a typo in one of their ads. I stopped half way through and asked myself why I had to act such a damn smartass, but came to the conclusion that if I had made an error in my work I would appreciate somebody pointing it out to me without being rude about it but I'm still not sure..one of those days.

5. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

they do however end up with an awful credit rating which means they can kiss goodbye to getting a mortgage in the next 10 years.

6. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

THIS!
    For a long time, I used to be one of those people that can go out every weekend, stay at a nice place, go on holidays, buy games, etc.

Then, about a year and a half ago, I had a long look at my finances, and I saw a huge amount of outstanding bills. It scared me so much that I have since then cleared debt, sadly was forced to make more debt (but way less than I had), and am now clearing that.

With some luck, I should be out of any debt (save for the car I drive) by the end of this month.
    That should mean that there's a bunch of more money in my account every month, and that a almost 2 year long dry spell is nearing its end.
    By dry spell I mean spending minimal money (Pension fund that paid out was used to buy necessities like my MBP for sideline work). Downgrading hosting contracts I have, Downgrading phone contracts, buying (a) game(s) literally twice a year, etc.

I have sworn to myself that even though I might not be able to afford the big european holiday that other people seem to be able to, I will not make excess debt again, will pay my bills on time, and will focus on keeping things affordable.
    I have lived beyond my means, and I know that the grass just looks greener... The burden of debt is the devil.

7. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Bad debt is the devil, yes, but good debt can set you free!!!!
    There's no billy mays gaurantee however, investing is risky... invest poorly and you can end up bankrupt :worried: Then you'll be wishing you just blew it all instead :lol:

8. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

You're just going to drive yourself nuts if you start thinking of the decisions you've made over the period of four years! I know I'm a bit in the same position, not sure what I want, hardly sure what I DON'T want. On a quick look at FB you may get all sorts of ideas of how other people are doing, but it's a fact that many, many people (especially those trying to keep studying a bit longer) are in the exact same position with you.

And what's ruining it for me? Well in short term, it's the time of month when I'm supposed to pay the rent. Which is difficult.

Last edited: 2 Aug 2010
  9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

At the end of the day, banks ( in most aprts of the world AFAIK)are forced to go through "Affordability" calculations (SO, AFAIK - at least around here are stores, cash loan centres, etc). These are all cute, but at the end of the day mean nothing. I know that if I max out my credit card, I'll be proper f***ed.

10. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Nope, not many at all. But not because they can declare... because Mummy and Daddy have been bankrolling the entire thing. My parents don't do that, and I'd never expect or want them to.

You're just right. I'm not a grammar Nazi for the fun of it. Proper use of the English language is extremely important... especially in advertising!

This is very true. I can't afford to have a bad credit rating. I don't own any property yet but I plan on changing that within the next couple of years.

True, but knowing some of these people, It's probably just as it seems. I can't help thinking some of the decisions I've made in the past were either completely wrong or could have been better. It's just one of those times for me. I have some major decisions to make in the next couple of months and they could will affect my entire career and life, so I'm sort of freaking out a little bit at the moment :rolleyes:

11. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

@Uni:
    The question to ask is: Relative to everything you've done so far, are you happy where you are now, and who you are? If the answer is Yes, then you made the right choices. If not, then you have to figure out how to get back on the track, step by step.

12. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Story of my life! Especially with 90% of my friends leaving in the next week for their $40,000 annual tuition Universities which their parents are covering entirely. Rejoice in knowing that everything you get, even if it's not so great, is through your own efforts! :D

13. snakerine

snakerine holy immortal gingers

Where do i start.

First i lost my job in May 14 then my gf dumped me in July 14 and now im on an airport and i dont know where to go or what to do.

And the demotivational topic is closed wtf.

14. LatinSpirit

LatinSpirit Minimodder

I have had enough of my current job, the stress is beginning to affect my health. So I'm on the lookout for a new opportunity so I can improve my life. Best of luck to everyone in the same situation as me :)

15. TheMusician

TheMusician Audio/Tech Enthusiast/Historian

Extremely bored with nothing on my mind but how she still calls me her "best friend" even though she spends 99% of her time with someone else and doesn't communicate with me at all.

Sorry, not to bring this **** back up again or anything, i'm just having a moment. Carry on.

mvagusta likes this.
  16. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Not so friendly reminder that I have almost no life (as evidenced by complaining about having no life on a tech forum). People have a great way of taking what seem like otherwise quite good days and stomping all over them.

mvagusta likes this.
  17. Canon

Canon Reformed

18. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

19. Canon

Canon Reformed

There we go then :hehe:

20. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

I've been in a bit of a rut recently, having lost my job and having to take on freelance contracts. My life felt directionless and without purpose. That changed this morning when my phone went mental and now I have 4 interviews. I am now wondering what video games I haven't played and how much freelance stuff I can turn in before I become gainfully employed again and not have to do 8am till 10 pm working patterns at my computer.

Life getting better? let's see.