Films Inception

Discussion in 'General' started by okenobi, 16 Jul 2010.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Loved it. £10 for two in Digital theatre + large screen here in Taipei. Might do IMAX for £8 but it's further to go. :D

Feel sorry for those having to read subtitles AND see the fast visual queues + visual splendor. Left a few Taiwanese people I know (inc. gf) a little more trouble keeping up :(

2. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I'm going to have to make the effort to see this.

A 5 page thread about just one film, must be good.

3. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Well Mr. Haas looks pretty unique, and his looks didn't add anything to the character.. They really could've cast anyone, I thought it was sort of a tribute.

4. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Why was it that

They set the premise that if there was no gravity in one level, then the level below would also have no gravity (think of the rolling van), but that didn't extend to the Snowy level where the gravity was there all the time?

5. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Probably because the dreamers on the Snow level weren't aware of the gravity fluctuations, as they where asleep on the Hotel level where they where taking place - only the guy from 3rd rock felt it as he was "awake" on that dream level.

They didn't effect the 'Limbo' level either.

6. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

Possible spoilers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 2 Aug 2010
    pimonserry and boiled_elephant like this.
  7. GreatOldOne

This is soooo going to be new wallpaper. :)

Nice time line. The thing I still can't get is
    What was Cobb's kick to get him out of limbo?

Last edited: 2 Aug 2010
  8. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

I think him and Saito killed themselves after he found Saito.

9. GreatOldOne

Yeah, but we didn't see it - and I guess Cobb would have needed to kill Saito first, and then do himself... And then's the whole ambiguity of wether Cobb's still dreaming at the end.

Isn't it great? It's going to be another "Is Deckard a replicant" thing, but (hopefully) without the special edition to give the game away :)

10. GreatOldOne

11. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Okay, I admit it, it was truly incredible.

12. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

We saw it last night, and I think it is a really good film. Generally I'm not a fan of Leonardo DiCaprio, but I think he did a decent enough job. The rest of the cast was very good, though.

One thing I didn't understand, and which unfortunately caused me to question the rest of the movie:
    The "kick" plot device that is used to wake people in an emergency. I get the premise as put forth in the movie: your inner ear senses and imbalance and sends a signal to your brain to wake up. In the montage leading to the final sequence of dreams, we see the chemist demonstrating that he's blended the sedative so that it leaves inner ear function intact, and we see Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character repeatedly having his chair knocked over. In those scenes, something as simple as the chair rocking sideways was enough to wake him.

In the final event, the kick in the primary dream is meant to be the truck falling off the bridge. However, during the chase scene we see that characters thrown back and forth, and in one scene the truck actually drives off the road and rolls numerous times. Shouldn't that have woken the characters? Also, the instant the hotel experienced zero gravity, the sudden sensation should have had a similar effect for the sleeping characters. For some reason that bugged me enough that the very idea grew in my head like a tiny seed.

That aside, it was pretty good. Knowing that the fight scene in the hotel was made with good old fashioned film-making, not just a bunch of special effects, made it all the more enjoyable.

13. K

K 528491

I think it had something to do with the sedatives used. They mentioned something about having to be synchronised else it wouldn't work. Yusuf drove off the bridge way way too early. He should have drove off as Arthur dropped the ceiling AND the guys in Eames's dream blew up the fortress. But he was far too early. As such, the second kick of the truck hitting the water synchronised with Arthur's elevator kick and the explosion kick. That's how I interpreted it at least! :)

14. scgt1

scgt1 Minimodder

Its on my list to see. Hopefully I'll get off my duff and find time to go see it before its out of the movies. :-( Also looking forward to August 20th.

15. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

supermonkey likes this.
  16. Rotcrack

Rotcrack Food Maestro.

Did you spell Michael Caine wrong? :eyebrow: The Michael Caine.

17. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

I was away for a few weeks so I didn't get a chance to watch this until last night. ZOMG. EPIC EPIC WIN. will probably end up watching again. And buying on blu ray. And obsessing about for months on end.