1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Control Your PC With Your Mind

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 11 Aug 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

To be honest, I'm not interested in these things for Pc control, I am however, interested in what people like Kevin Warwick could do with tech like it.

I'd love to see him working with something similar to this, but perhaps I'm just getting too excited at the idea of "surrogates" so to speak >.>

3. SaNdCrAwLeR

SaNdCrAwLeR What's a Dremel?

worked with one of these at university,
    these things are absolutelly awesome!

also, I scared some of the people doing the tests on me...
    (never laugh at a picture with dead people, no matter how fake the blood looks nor if the actors in the picture are laughing) xD

4. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

Have you guys heard of the OCZ neural impulse actuator. I think it was released sometime in 2008 and it was a device that would read brainwaves and stuff and let you map it to keys. This looks to be an evolution of that kind of thing.

5. Jezcentral

Jezcentral Minimodder

With tech like this, I'm sure Kevin Warwick could generate 8 newpaper interviews, 3 television interviews, and maybe an appearance in a science documentary.

Is that what you meant? :)

6. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Now that's what I call playing mind games!! :D

7. Kenny_McCormick

Kenny_McCormick Minimodder

I remember that one. Only has 3 sensors, this one has 14!

Always wanted to have one of those controlers instead of the keyboard. For aiming (not firing) you must use the mouse.

EDIT:

Emotiv 299$ in their website. I've seen the OCZ NIA for 90€. If they reduce the price maybe...

8. Archandel

Archandel What's a Dremel?

Just give me the VR gloves & goggles from Johny Mnemonic.

9. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Next they will be telling us we can use our brain to control our arms and legs.

10. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

The NIA uses quite different technology to the Emotiv and NeuroSky headsets; the NIA basically just reads your expressions and facial movements - it's reading what happens on the surface. Both the Emotiv and NeuroSky ones are based on actual EEG machines, so they do read your brain waves.

11. dispie

dispie What's a Dremel?

I seen someone play a shooter with a thing like this it was just scary to see how fast he did head shots,

been thinking about buying one, but this soort of technick can go far fast.

would be nice to control stuff with like a heavy lifter or in near future robots and mechs

12. uz1_l0v3r

uz1_l0v3r What's a Dremel?

This is just one more step towards greater human-machine symbiosis. In the future, gamers will not use monitors or even peripherals. They will rig themselves up to a device and be transported into a fully immersive, virtual world.

13. shadow12

shadow12 I lie

Hi,
    I can tell you this will not be fast. Mental tasks are near the bottom when it comes to speed and accuracy. Some people may be able to achieve reasonable (80% accuracy) control over two mental tasks but each action would take seconds not ms as is often required by FPS. These things although do create an interest in the general public they are, as far as I know, not fit for fast action gaming. For detecting stress, fatigue, sleepiness etc. they work quite well since these things don't require fast responses. One of the fastest BCIs are SSVEP, have a look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6vyAQJGrXc

I think most people would be much quicker with a mouse.

14. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

QFT. These senors are years away from detecting the brain reaction to "an enemy has just popped up in the upper left quadrant of the screen, it's armoured so I need to switch to the rocket launcher and flank him".

However, for some very fundamental things like sleeping, these things could work very well. A sensor built into the sunvisor of a car that detects if the driver has fallen asleep and slams on the breaks would be something we might see quite soon.

15. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

did you mean, brings the vehicle to a safe stop? as slamming on the brakes, may cause an accident as quickly as falling asleep :)

16. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Bringing it to a stop while driving on a motorway would be pretty dangerous really.

Maybe a noise to wake the driver up would be better ??

17. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Looking forward to firing "Mind Bullets"

18. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

Volvo did that actually... not exactly mind reading, but its a good start.

19. Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos I Will Snipe You!

SOUNDS LIKE A JOB FOR--R-R-R-R-R-R--------->>> BASEMENT CAT!! Brainwashing you since 1977.....

back ontopic.....doesnt OCZ already have something like this out Ive seen them banging the drum about it a fair few times.

I think mind control is very innovative and it will take gaming by storm when it gets cheap enough but one question you have to ask yourself....In the years that humans have existed, shouldnt we have already evolved to that stage where we wouldnt need crap like this to control things??

this is Tom Cruise n tune in next week for more Church Of Scientology!!

20. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Future of combat, mind controlled big stompy robots :)

Tags: Add Tags