1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GTX 460 single card: 1GB or 2GB?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PaulLFC, 25 Aug 2010.

1. PaulLFC

PaulLFC What's a Dremel?

Hi everyone,

I'm buying a new PC shortly, and I've decided on the GTX 460 as my graphics card. When pricing them up, I found that I can get a 2GB version of the card (Palit GTX 460 2GB Sonic) for not much more than than a 1GB version.

I automatically assumed that this would be the best option, as more memory = better performance, or so I thought. I've read on some other sites that 2GB of memory will make no difference on a single card.

Is this true? Or is it just in the sense that it doesn't make a difference currently as games don't require 2GB yet?

If it's the latter, I'll probably spend the extra and get the 2GB card to hopefully future-proof the PC for a little longer.

2. Reddoguk

Reddoguk I Play WoW :(

Last edited: 25 Aug 2010
  3. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

2GB is tempting, but is serious overkill on a mid-range card like the 460. It is debatable on higher end cards like the 5870, but only as a future proofing measure and for multiple-monitor setups. There is basically no difference in today's titles at any single screen resolution.

I would go with the Gigabyte 1GB. Everyone seems to love that one.

Last edited: 25 Aug 2010
  4. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

This, for budget builds even 512MB is still viable depending on resolution - with the 5670, for instance, which I had to research recently, the 1Gb performs almost identically to the 512MB. In huge games it would make a small difference, but those were such demanding games that the card couldn't run them well anyway.

5. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

6. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

That table says it all really.

The 1GB Palit GTX 460 Sonic is £167. GPU clock 700Mhz, GDDR5 3600MHz and Shader 1400Mhz. The 2GB version runs at the same speeds but costs £189. As proved 2 GB only gives you an advantage at insane res or multiple monitor setups. Are you planning a multiple monitor setup?

The 1GB Palit GTX 460 Sonic Platinum is only £179. clocked at 800MHz, 4000MHz and 1600MHz. You'll porbably get more performance from the 1GB Sonic Platinum than the 2GB Sonic for a tenner less. You'll probably be able to OC all these a bit as we know they love to OC.

I've got the Gainward GS:GLH running at 850, 4250 and 1700 and it's great. No change in temps from factory OC and still nice and quiet cooler.

Made of Win! :D

7. PaulLFC

PaulLFC What's a Dremel?

Thanks a lot for the replies everyone :)

You're right, looking at that table the extra memory makes virtually no difference, which surprised me. I assumed maybe in a couple of years when more demanding games were released the extra memory would help, but it seems I'm best just buying the 1GB card now and then upgrading it at a later date.

Thanks for the help.

8. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

I've seen a couple of reviews benchmarking the 1GB vs 2GB 460's and they both have the same frames per second in games!

9. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

For 2D Surround the extra memory might help in certain games like Just Cause 2 however it is questionable whether the GTX460 would have enough raw grunt to enable the features that would breach the memory limit in the first place. Mouthful over, for single card uses up to 1920x1080 there is simply no difference between the 1GB and 2GB models, assuming of course that the clock speeds are identical. At 2560x1200 there may be a difference but it is unlikley that you would be running a single GTX460 at this resolution anyway.

10. Legendary

Legendary What's a Dremel?

11. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

12. vgaguru

vgaguru What's a Dremel?

I think you are missing something about these cards and the reason for having 2gb of memory with them.
    This card is all about gpu processing power, not gaming as such. If you are running software that has options for using the GPU for processing such as 3d max, video composting, or other software that is extremely processor heavy, this is a great choice for you. Also as more and more software comes out with the ability to take advantage of GPU processing, the card will prove to be even more invaluable to consumers.
    Benchmarks for ComputeMark on Extreme don't even work in the 1gb version of this card:

"Note that ComputeMark’s “extreme” setting simply wouldn’t finish on the 1GB card. It would crash, or we’d get the dreaded “Your graphics driver has stopped working and restarted” error. So not only did the 2GB card get somewhat higher numbers (even though the core clock is lower), but it could actually complete ComputeMark on its “extreme” setting."
    -quoted from Lloyd Case, Maximum PC http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/palit_geforce_gtx_sonic_2gb_review