1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News GOG relaunches, admits closure was a hoax

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Sep 2010.

1. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

The difference between Steam and GoG is DRM. You can back up games bought at GoG on DVD and install them whenever you want. I think GoG even encourages users to back up games in case **it happens.

2. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

2 words came to my mind while reading up this thread this morning.

Immature and amateurish. I'm well up for clever marketing gimmicks - this is not one of them. Yes it has worked to gain publicity, but before the reveal i gave them enough credit to be going through a name change or a good relaunch and I had respect for the company, now I don't. No loss to them. No loss to me either because I would never have bought a PC game outside of Steam or mail order.

In terms of business, no properly managed company would do this kind of stunt. This will have come from a decision maker and I have to wonder that if they are prepared to go this far to gain publicity, then what sort of bad decisions will the people in charge make in the future.

Before any pro-GoG supporters take exception to my points of view, you're entitled to think it was an awesome idea, and I'm entitled to think it was pathetic. Let's leave it at that.

3. Crunch77

Crunch77 What's a Dremel?

I agree completely. :)

4. Xir

Xir Modder

Not comparable, it's not like you need GOG.com once you've downloaded. Your Backups are your problem :D

Wellllll...okay :thumb:

5. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

There is so much publicity for people who do NOTHING and contribute NOTHING to society.
    Jet Set et Al, and the other WAG's and crap no-one cares about.

It wasn't the best publicity stunt, but publicity is publicity.
    ;)

kudos to them.

6. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

I'm a GOG supporter and I agree with you. :)

This type of marketing has clearly been effective but has also shown a lack of respect for their existing customers.

The one item of really good news (aside from Baldur's Gate being added to their catalogue) is the speed up - despite using a Content Delivery Network, I've always found GOG's downloads to be on the slow side, maxing at 300KB/s which isn't great when you're downloading a few multi-GB purchases...

Last edited: 23 Sep 2010
  7. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Once you've bought a game, it goes into you GOG Library so you can re-download it as many times as you like. You also usually get a few extras with each game you buy (soundtrack, wallpapers, PDF manual or whatever)

8. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Do we have a leg to stand on if they did do that? I doubt it somehow and, as one of the millions that doesn't read the terms and conditions, I would get my just deserves for putting my faith in something that it is outside of my control.

If you think about it, online content delivery services such as steam are like banks in that we allow them to look after our 'possesions' and they allow us access whenever we want. The only problem is that when a bank flips out we are protected, not so with things like Steam.

9. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

This is precisely my point of view and it's precisely why I won't do any more business with them. If they think duping their customer-base into thinking they've ceased their service is a good PR stunt, I don't want to see what they do next time they need a bit more publicity.

10. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

I don't particularly care about the idea of tricking people into thinking the site has gone under but those revival videos are bloody annoying!

11. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I'm just glad they're back; would have been a sad loss.

12. the-beast

the-beast What's a Dremel?

GOG launches as schedule @ 1PM, a few minutes later it went down again with a 'our servers are undergoing maintenance' page.

So much for the relaunch :(

13. the-beast

the-beast What's a Dremel?

Sites back up now. 1 new release and some items rearranged, not much to say really.

14. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Probably hit squashed under too many hits.

15. barbary

barbary What's a Dremel?

As a GOG customer this has pissed me right off.

16. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

Not too bothered tbh & I certainly can't fault them for having Total Annihilation with both Expansion packs for $6 and added Win7 compatibility when I the only new boxed copies I can find don't have either... and cost at least £7.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a great site that sells games DRM-free - and without requiring any client software. Exactly how digital distribution should be done. As for the marketing tactics - put simply, 330+ views of this topic wouldn't have happened if they'd not bothered... regardless of the opinions above, it's clearly raised awareness of the site.

Last edited: 23 Sep 2010
  17. Xir

Xir Modder

Woohoo!!!

Space Quest and Kings Quest! :D

18. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

But that's just lying, isn't it?

19. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

not really, if you read the original post on GOG.com, it didn't actually say anything...

20. Tsung

Tsung What's a Dremel?

As an existing customer of GoG this stunt done nothing except make me cautious about buying any future titles from them.

Tags: Add Tags