1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs My First LAN Party

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 23 Sep 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Ahh LAN Parties. I haven't been to one in years, since the days of my old P4 1.8@2.5 and a GeForce4 4800SE. Good times, good times. Imagine 20 blokes in a tiny garage waking up the host's parents at 4am yelling swear words at each other. Bundles of fun.

3. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

LAN parties are brilliant fun but are sadly a dying trade with only older games really getting played now. I haven't been to one in years now since widespread hi speed broadband but I miss them. Although like you said Sophie sugar induced headaches and being outplayed are 2 things I do not miss at all.

4. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Sounds like you had fun after all. I still go on LAN parties on regular bases as my student club organizes 4 of the a year. Its great as the really put some afford into it, with prices and batches and from time to time even some freebees like keychains and stuff.
    But i noticed that staying awake for 24 hours straight is not that easy anymore when you get older :)

5. Laitainion

Laitainion What's a Dremel?

I host LAN parties twice a year (a summer and a christmas one) for 8 years now and through a friend of mine have been involved in FragSoc in York, that hosts about a dozen big events a year (often 60+). My LAN parties are somewhat smaller as we have it in my kitchen/dining room.

They're both great fun, FragSoc events are fun with loads of people meaning you can have frantic FPS games in fully loaded servers but on the flip side it's more personal at my smaller LANs, I know when it's Ben that shot me rather than some guy on the other side of a big hall.

I see what you mean, Centy-face, about LANs being more about older games. The first game we played at my last LAN was AoE2 (Conquerers naturally). It was great fun having..6 of us I think in there back-stabbing each other, even more fun hearing Jeremy get paranoid that I was going to pull a comeback on him after he stabbed me in the back. (I am accepted as possibly the best AoE2 player in our group, with Tom who hasn't played in years so maybe...). Still took Jeremy ~half an hour to finish me off though, even after totally destroying my economy and troop production with his first strike.

Really looking forward to the Christmas one now, want more AoE2!

6. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

i go to about 6 LANs a year, ranging in size between 14 and 600 people. I love every bit of it, even though i get my ass kicked in just about every game i play. It's just great fun. The diet thing, i agree. I'm a big sugar-addict, and indulge in junkfood a lot too, but at LANs i try to be smart and not overdo it. I usually bring a lot of fruitjuice to drink, and eat a fresh salad or so for lunch, to make sure i get some actual nutrients in my system, along with all the cafeine, sugar, chocolate, junkfood, and halfbaked or burnt meat from the BBQ.

7. Zider

Zider What's a Dremel?

I hate the term "LAN party". It's a computer party, it has always been called computer party and I shall always call it computer party. Of course, you might have different kinds of computer parties, like gamer party, scene party or whatever, but it's still not the network it's about, but the computers.

8. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

A LAN is only as good as the people you go with. Turn up on your own or a bunch of guys who just want to play 1 game all weekend and you're going to have a bad time. Get a bunch of mates who are up for a bit of everything though and you'll have a great time.

9. Xir

Xir Modder

Like "Just Dance" :D First time I heared about that one on a LAN :thumb:
    But it makes sense to GET-SOME-MOVEMENT, like the Idea.

Sooo, you're the one that did the first-time-player article a while back?

10. CardJoe

No, Sophie is with us on work experience this week and this is her first article for the site. If you're referring to the Fable 3 Casual Gamer Review then that was done by my sister, Faith.

11. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

I was just at a LAN this weekend! 2 days straight playing with friends! It was a small one with only 12 people but it was a blast!
    What event is pictured in this blog? Thats a heck of a lot of PCs!

12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

work experience....... why i never found such a cool company to do it in?

my work experience many years ago was just in an computer admin's office, installing windows.

13. Benihana

Benihana What's a Dremel?

I'd imagine its one of MultiPlay's insomnia events (i-Series) been to a few of them, but am a fan of the smaller events as they are cheaper and more personal!

14. Dudey109

Dudey109 Minimodder

I would guess the one pictured is dreamhack

Largest LAN in the world i believe.

15. llOriginll

llOriginll Minimodder

Dreamhack is the Swedish mega LAN, but if you're in the UK look up multiplay i-series, coming up at the end of November!

16. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy What's a Dremel?

LAN parties are awesome. It's a shame most people assume playing online is just as entertaining and some devs/corporations are removing the LAN feature from their games. Our LAN group didn't buy COD4MW2 or BFBC2 because of it.

17. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

found the picture from wikipedia. you got to cite other people's work :) university will drill that in so deep, you'll never forget about it.

where's the next multiplay i-series? should be going if it's near London area.

18. CardJoe

It is indeed Dreamhack.

19. CardJoe

That's actually not where I got the image, but you are quite right. Updated.

20. Xir

Xir Modder

I prefer the smaller LAN's as, as you said right, most fun is the communication between players.

I'm getting too old though, can't stay awake, can't sit still in a cold garage for hours and hours...and them is bloody fast too, them 15 year olds :D
    Playing CS against a clan that was in average half my age in an unheated tear-down house in winter (with gloves on). I was fragged the moment I spawned :waah:
    freaks...the lot of them...and me too....darn... *muttersandshakesstick* :D

Tags: Add Tags