1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by wst, 23 Sep 2010.

1. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

2. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

A question that just struck me, the game obviously requires that users have accounts for the broswer based version of the game, but with the downloaded client what's the downside of not logging in? When I can't connect it's still let me play singleplayer before.

My question basically serves two ends: How does offline play work, and how is piracy prevented, if at all?

3. cyrilthefish

The downloaded exe is pretty much only a downloader for the game, when you log in it then downloads the rest of the data.
    If it can't log in but you've logged into the game previously on that PC, it'll still work

Whilst it is possible to pirate the game, it'd be a little fiddly as it'll involve restoring the rest of the game files to the correct places in your PC user profile.

Pretty much spot on for preventing piracy, some hassle to get the game working properly for pirates, which is transparent to paid users, + paid users get multiplayer and game updates. :D

4. wst

wst Minimodder

I use torches a ridiculous amount. I have no idea how people see stuff in this game with torches so far apart. Might it be something to do with my CRT and not using an LCD?

And I play in normal. I really really hate mobs, but peaceful would feel like cheating. I like the satisfaction and security that having to build a shelter brings. If I was on peaceful I'd just get bored.

5. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I play on normal too. It spawns more enemies than hard, they just have lower HP and do less damage so it's a little more forgiving but more fun IMO.

6. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Much more sense is made now, thank you! When I first saw that simple .exe I was a little startled!

Torches are almost religious for me. Any natural caves are fully lit with torches, or sealed with doors to prevent monsters from getting into the secure tunnels. They also make for fake sunlight so trees and wheat will grow underground when placed close enough. Top-side they allow for monster-proof areas when used with fences, or for guidance when travelling at night (follow the light!).

The peaceful vs. easy/normal/hard difference is really like two different games. One sandbox, one survival. I like to play make-believe so peaceful lets me go about my fun without interruption. On that note, starting a winter-mode world and pretending to be an airplane crash survivor in the vast reaches of the Yukon is great fun.

7. Pieface

Pieface Modder

I had trouble finding coal. Which caused major trouble for me the first night, as I carved a cave, then blocked it up and was stuck in a huge mountain as I forgot which way was out...

8. Daytona178

Daytona178 What's a Dremel?

Minecraft is great, its basically Lego for adults :)

9. Comfyasabadger

Comfyasabadger What's a Dremel?

Bought it when I got home after seeing this thread googling it in work and let's just say I didn't get much sleep.

My Boss is not impressed. :clap:

10. Bufo802

Bufo802 Minimodder

11. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I haven't slept since buying Minecraft..

:(

I'm that guy who played Runescape and had 99 mining when everything else was <10.

Time for school..

12. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

13. wst

wst Minimodder

This guy wins :p

14. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Does this mean we may be able to program minecraft to run in minecraft? And if we manage that can we program minecraft to run on minecraft running on minecraft....

15. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

A bit of a thought, the game as is uses various algorithms to create the random world, correct? Couldn't an algorithm be made to construct the world as that APU, or a more advanced one? A lot of it is repeating patterns, afterall. As long as you're capable of inputting a pattern for the game to create for you it becomes a matter of just designing a layout.

16. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

@1:1 scale Enterprise

NERD ALERT

The ALU is cool. He should win some sort of grant for that.

17. cyrilthefish

I suppose.

But reading on the minecraft forums i get the impression you get a random world generator that works off an initial random seed file. This is why some minecraft worlds end up very hilly / many oceans / flat relatively uniformly.

I suppose what you're saying is technically possible, but using a minecraft map editor is far far easier ^^

18. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

That ALU makes my brain hurt :(

19. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

Currently making my big underwater tunnel, that will have a glass top. (was going to make an in water glass tunnel, but the current makes it really, really difficult.

Last night i built a giant bridge from my hilltop fort, to my underground base. required hollowing out 2 pits of the size below :p

Pit
    Bridge

20. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

So the guy who automatically imported a 3D model is a nerd, but the chap who copied out an ALU by hand is a pretty cool dude. ¬_¬

Minecraft should be patented as an Aspergers detector.

I think I'll pop a mention to the minecaft server in the mag for next month. Well a mention of this thread and bit-tech minecraft server anyway. Any chance it will still be up next month. If not I could ask MPUK for one.