1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it morally justifiable to kill animals for meat?

Discussion in 'Serious' started by eddtox, 1 Oct 2010.

1. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

I'd put a bucket underneath it, milk it and put the milk in the fridge. It's perfectly OK to do it because it's delicious and nutritious. As for male calves, those that aren't used for reproduction are sold as veal. I would say the farmer makes a pretty decent profit from it. As long as they're consumed where is the problem?

2. deadsea

deadsea What's a Dremel?

A vegan would would be rather idealistic. But it that even possible on a large scale? Locally sourced vegan diets range from manageable to outright impossible depending on where one is located.

Would the morality of not killing animals be enough of a reason to spend the amount of resources required to transport food all over the world? Not to mention the food spoilage in that scenario. Meat freezes fine for a couple of months, but not so much for vegetables.

3. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

not true, most male cows are killed at birth
    But what are used for veal only live for 16 weeks, and never move from there wooden cages.
    source: http://www.ocpausa.org/cows.htm
    I cant believe people eat that....

Well for starters shops and supermarkets would have change what they sell because everyone would need more veg ect, so finding it wouldn't be a problem.

And also i thought veg freezes fine? but there would be so much food, more than the planet would need, there's no reason you could no pick up fresh veg when ever you like

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

In a vegan world there is no medical research?

5. Viqta

Viqta What's a Dremel?

Well, I don't see anything wrong in eating meat (been eating since I was little). I think The Bible even made it known that God created them (other animals) for man, and I think that's one of the ways they are useful to man - as food..

6. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

No animal test subjects, yes, I take it we will have to debate about that now? lol

Well im none religious, soooooo i cant really talk to you about this.
    Not been an ass or anything, but according to the bible animals where put here for humans to use as we see fit.
    Which is just ridiculous imo, but lets not go off topic even more than we already are.

7. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

"I think The Bible even made it known that God created them (other animals) for man, and I think that's one of the ways they are useful to man - as food.."

Ah yes we all clearly forgot that the Bible says it is ok.... what were we thinking writing all these posts!

Off to throw the bacon out.

8. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

wouldn't want to go to hell now would we....

9. memeroot

a good man once died and was met on this occasion by st peter.

st peter told him he had been accepted to heaven but that on their journey he had to drop off a parcel at hell - he hoped the good man didn't mind

whilst stopping at hell he noticed that the dammed we feeding of pork, beef, shell fish etc. wilst washing it down with beers wines and spirits.

the man wondered what must await him on arrival at heaven if the dammed were dealt with so well.

on arrival st Peter handed him some dried bread.

The good man asked st Peter why tha dammed seemed to have so much food but yet he, having lived a good life, had been given such a meager portion

st peter replied "well there didn't seem much point cooking for one"

oh and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taboo_food_and_drink

doesn't leave much for heaven

10. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

If my neighbour's anything to go by who is a so called religious man and a church warden I would rather go to hell at least it wont be full of hypocrite's.

11. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

Why not? It's delicious.

12. uz1_l0v3r

uz1_l0v3r What's a Dremel?

The Bible isn't the most up-to-date and modern guide for modern living, however. Would you eat Dolphin? Gorilla? Chimpanzee?

I should add that I am a vegetarian, so clearly eating meat is not for me. In terms of morals, animals eating other animals is a fact of life. Meat eating is no more a moral issue than evolution - it's just how things are. One of the most awful sights in nature is watching hyenas eat their prey alive, but they've been doing that for millions of years. It's simply how nature is and there is no right or wrong about it.

Having said that, I have made a personal choice not to eat meat because, unlike the hyena, I do have a choice.

13. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

I don't think there is anything wrong with eating meet, in my opinion it was probably the easiest (short-term) and safest way to sustain humans throughout human history.

Easiest and short-term because you could hunt the animal and have something to eat within a day as opposed to farming which is more a long-term but more sustained way of food production.

Safest because there is probably less poisonous animals than there are plants. Bearing in mind that before eating unfamilair vegetation you would have to test for toxins by ingesting a small amount and seeing if you survive or not.

However in modern day living, I don't think there is any excuse for humans not to be vegetarians, we have mastered agriculture in all seasons and have protein alternatives to meat. The only thing is, if everyone was to be vegetarian we would need another planet to farm all the plants we need, or at least one side of the moon for the short-term.

Also bearing in mind that humans currently waste a lot of food, for example America wastes enough food to feed the whole of Africa on a daily basis, imagine how much food the whole world wastes!

Sorry went off on a divergent path there :p

14. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I don't mind vegetarians.

A couple of my friends are vegetarians.

I do, however, get rather put off eating around "hardcore" vegetarians. The ones that don't shut up about being vegetarian, and regularly prattle on about reason x/y/z as to why everyone should be vegetarian.

I love meat. It is by far my most favourite edible substance. I eat a fair amount of it per week (Probably looking at the best part of two chickens, and a fairly decent portion of beef, quite a few bits of fish, sometimes lamb if there's lamb being roasted and so on). I must stress, though, that it's not just piles of meat, it's well balanced.

I couldn't give up meat without good cause.

I can understand why people do. I don't mind that they do. Just.. Leave me to my own devices when it comes to eating dead wee beasties.

The morality, though.. Meh.

Anyone sufficiently dedicated to saying it's immoral will pick on every potential for "proving" their point. As anyone would, I suppose.

My opinion: They taste good. People are willing to breed them for the sake of me eating them. Go Go Gadget dead animal on a plate.

If Panda tasted good, we'd be breeding them like nobodies business. Fortunately for the panda, though, no one is really certain they do taste good..

Last edited: 11 Oct 2010
  15. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

you sure need to stop reading so much fictional story books

16. memeroot

there are fictional books?

17. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Omnomnomnom
    If they were farmed to sustainable numbers I'd not think twice about chowing down on grilled dolphin or any other meat bearing animal.

If the animals wanted it any other way they should have evolved their asses faster and beaten us to the upper food chain.

18. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Actually don't the chinese eat pretty much anything, And I know there are race's that eat chimps and such.

19. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

anything they can get there hands on

20. memeroot

anyone seen the cove?