Windows Windows 7 Start Menu is just awful!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by DarrenH, 15 Nov 2010.

1. DarrenH

DarrenH What's a Dremel?

Been having great fun playing with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit the past week. Feels very light and sleek and also stable. But there are a few major issues that are driving me mad!

The Start Menu:
    Who on earth decided it would be easier to hide all the programs and have to click each folder to get to view programs. I am sure you only click the start button once and then move the mouse until you find what you want, or is that just me? I admire them for trying to change things about and I do like the list of options on the right hand side. But trying to find a program is such a pain. Click here, scroll here, click there, etc. Such a pain and very slow. Surely they user-tested the product first. It worked in earlier windows, it works in Ubuntu and if you change it in Win 7 then it had better work - but it doesn't.

System Tray on Right-Hand Side:
    Why do I have to click to access the triangle that contains system apps running? Let me move the mouse on it and within half a second realise I want to access it and open up the contents. Simples. And the network icon is such a pain as well. Why can't it just show simple network info when I move the mouse over it? Why can't I right-click to get instant staus info? Instead I have to left-click, scroll up to selected connection and then right-click to get status info. This is a task I perform on a regular basis. Who tested the user-interface?

Such basic errors that detract from such great software engineering under the hood. Address these issues now and I'll be impressed. The above are much used functions that are slowing me down leading to frustration - yet the rest of Windows 7 shows such great promise. I do not want a mass load of icons on the desktop - that is so old school. Give me a sleek and easy to set up task toolbar that I can position where I want for my convenience. I can do this in Ubuntu so come on Microsoft!!

:duh:

2. No_Na_Me

No_Na_Me PC & water, this can only end well

Why not just add your regular programs to the Taskbar, I think you can add folder as well. But not tried it myself.

As for the System tray why bother with that and just use a desktop gadget, then its one show 24/7 no clicking.

3. DarrenH

DarrenH What's a Dremel?

I should not have to keep adding programs to the task bar. What if I install new software? Or when I want an already installed program not in my favourites? It is such a pain.

And for networking I want to access Windows information as quickly as possible especially when using wifi and fix any connection problems. Not add gadgets and more gadgets then have to go the long way around to fix any issues. It was easier before - now it is not!

Last edited: 15 Nov 2010
  4. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I agree, my task bar is a mess of frequently used programs. I love it. If you hate clicking through start menu, press the Win Flag key and start typing... much quicker than using the mouse!

5. DarrenH

DarrenH What's a Dremel?

So rather than just using the mouse like before now we have to mouse and type just to locate a program? Madness!! Sorry to sound negative but trying to keep all programs within a small rectangle box above the Start button is crazy. It doesn't work. I don't like it!

I remember just before Win 95 came out I was using OS/2 and it had a really cool taskbar that you could drop your apps into and you could also group them. It was so easy to use - and that was 15 years ago!! Win 7 has got it wrong...

6. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

^^ this....

I can launch any program I have installed in less than 10 key presses (most in 5 or less), and I'll bet you that it is quite a bit faster than clicking through, either in W7 or in a previous version of windows

7. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Windows 7 - No mouse required LOL
    Press the Win key on keyboard, start typing, wait a second, press enter. I use Win 7 at home and still in the dark ages of XP at work. Win 7 took a bit of getting used to, but I really struggle with XP now, and I use that for 40 hours a week.

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

For the system tray just drag the ones you want out of the hidden section, you can even dictate their order permanently. Hide everything you don't want. = win.

For the start menu I like having everything filed into categories of progs, so clicking for something is a little more ordered, or for a specific program just use the much-touted Windows key + type.

:thumb:

Can't help with the network icon, there's probably an option somewhere to show legacy icon info or something, but don't forget that windows is built to accommodate the most number of users. Most folks these days don't need connection info beyond on, off and broken. Something that the current icon does well.

9. DarrenH

DarrenH What's a Dremel?

So windows has gone from Dos keyboard commands to mouse event driven commands back to keyboard commands. And that's a forward step? If I'm using the mouse to move around the screen I then have to go to the keyboard to get the program I want using your "quick" method.

I may have to get used to it just like you did. Maybe I will. But when something doesn't fit or feel right then it ain't right. I want an alternative. Win 7 should have the option to use the menus like before if you so wish. It should also have an awesome taskbar to match its shiny new OS but it doesn't.

10. Bartaggio

Bartaggio Minimodder

I think this is pretty easy to explain.

Start menu:

Why hide all the programs?

To reduce clutter, show your favourite programs/frequently used programs and because not everyone needs to open All Programs whenever they open the start menu.

Don't want to click? use the search function, it's there for a reason.

System Tray:

You can turn off the hide unused tray icons, that way there's no arrow.

And you expect MS to please every single customer? Impossible. 99% of the users don't care what the status of a connection is. They just want to connect to it and be done.

Don't want to go through Control Panel etc to get to it? Open Start menu, search Network Connections, click View network connections and you're where you need to be.

I think you're being a bit unrealistic about what Windows should offer.

If all else fails, you can go back to earlier versions of Windows too. :lol:

11. DarrenH

DarrenH What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the input so far guys. I am an half-full type of person but I don't like the main user-interface of Win 7. They missed a trick here.

12. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Can you not skin Win 7 some how in themes to make it look like an 8 year old OS (XP) :D I think it is called Windows Classic?

13. DarrenH

DarrenH What's a Dremel?

Quote of the year! Microsoft is a multi-billion £/$ company. Why should I not expect a new version of windows to offer bigger and better things?

I used a great taskbar in OS/2 15 years ago, I use a great taskbar in Ubuntu so why can't Micro$oft come up with something for Win 7? I love the look and feel of Win 7 but don't like the way the Start menu has been done. Is that so unreasonable?

14. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Also you can "dock" there may be a better term for it, programs to your start menu, I inadvertently did it with Skype the other day, if that is what you meant?

15. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Classic XP skin.. LOL. I have one somewhere

16. DarrenH

DarrenH What's a Dremel?

It is what I mean. Good man. But a much better and flexible dock system like the AWN in Ubuntu. I have spoken to many people who find the new interface a tad confusing. It should be easy to use. It's like creating a superb car with a great engine but dodgy door handles a clunky steering wheel!

17. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

18. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I'm not getting this.

How is the start menu any different to < XP??

Instead of the 'Programs' bit coming out into another section/window, its just in the one window/section.

If its that much of a problem for you to look for things in the start menu, why not create a folder on the desktop, with short-cuts for all your apps in there. I bet you could even get it to open at startup.
    Or, you could set all the programs you use to run at startup, then you wouldn't have to use the start menu.
    :D :D

19. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

You call them basic errors, I call them cool features. I will agree that from Vista onwards getting detailed network info is harder, but you get used to it.

I like the new start menu, it's neat and tidy and does it's job. I add the programs I use frequently to the start menu (pin to start menu), or the task bar - the rest I can find by typing in the search bar.

Windows 7 is so much better than anything MS have done before. In a few days/weeks you will get used to it.

20. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

What I do, is like Jedra.
    In my case I remove the list of items that shows the recently executed programs (Taskbar properties, see under Start Menu tab). And I pin my used programs there. AND the program I REAALY use a lot, like: firefox, folders, Outlook, OneNote, are pined on the task bar.

For the rest, including finding Control panel sub-panel settings. I just use the search bar. I simply hit the win key on my keyboard and type. No mouse needed, as mentioned.
    Let's say I want Firefox. I type F, and hit Enter, as "F" shows Firefox as the first program on the list and is selected. The search result is ordered by relevance and most selected. Most Selected item dominate relevance. Meaning, let's say you have a program that is ACTUALLY called "F". But because you pick Firefox more times, than Firefox will appear above.

I also set the taskbar to not group anything, providing a Windows Vista and older feel. Why? While I have no doubt it's ideal for small screen systems, or tablet PC's, or touch screen based devices.. I kind a don't like with a keyb/mouse setup as you need to perform another mouse click. It's not a feature that bug me per say, but less mouse clicks (or wait), the better.