1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Most suitable GPU config for gaming @ 2,560 x 1,600

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dead beat, 21 Dec 2010.

1. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

I know I have posted a couple of topics recently regarding upgrading my system. However these are now slightly irrelevant as I have come into a bit of money (by chance) and will be looking to upgrade my monitor to a 30". I've been looking at the Samsung SM305T and the Dell 3008WFP.

I've looked through a lot of benchmarks of various GPU configurations (Since my mobo supports SLI, I will be wanting an Nvidia card). The most suitable options for this would appear to be either a pair of 570's in SLI or a single 580. I've heard good things about the scaling on the 500 series cards so my concerns about a multi GPU solution are reduced somewhat.

I suppose another thing to consider is my CPU bottlenecking this kind of graphics power.

I'd just like to hear some opinions from those that are wiser than me, if it's not too much trouble.

Cheers.

2. Marine-RX179

Marine-RX179 What's a Dremel?

You might want to refer to the following topic:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=199688

At 2560 res, it is less likely for graphic card to get bottleneck by the CPU comparing to 1920 as more stress is being placed on the graphic card.

For example, in a game at 1920 res the GTX580 is capable of delivering 50fps minimum frame rate, but your overclocked Phenom II X4 only capable of delivering 45fps minimum frame rate, that would be a CPU bottleneck. Now if it was it was 2560 res and the GTX580 only capable of delivering 35fps minimum frame rate, then obviously your overclocked Phenom II X4 won't be a bottleneck because it can deliver 45fps minimum frame rate.

3. dead beat

Thanks for that link. Looks like the 580 is the best bet really. I suppose in a few months time, when the prices drop, i could always put in a second 580 and run them SLI.

Ideally I'll be able to get non choppy gameplay with a single card at this resolution though. Guess I'll just have to see how a single 580 can manage.

4. Marine-RX179

You have to bare in mind that there are some games that ridiculously CPU demanding (such as Black OPs and Arma II) that could bottleneck the graphic card. While bottleneck on Black OPs probably won't matter too much, as minimum 50fps and minimum 90fps won't be noticable anyway on 60fps monitors (of course it would be noticably different in if was a 120fps monitor).
    But game like ArmaII...one or two GTX580 would probably not make no difference if the CPU itself fail to deliver playable frame rate.

I would advise against going SLI GTX580 on a Phenom II X4...you should definitely upgrade your CPU/platform to something faster than the Phenom II before even considering going SLI on GTX580....or even SLI GTX570. And no, upgrading the CPU to Phenom II X6 wouldn't help, as 99% of the games are not written to support Hex core CPU. But if by some miracle that all of a sudden every new game that get released comes with good support for Hex-core as common standard, then it would worth upgrading to a Phenom II X6.

5. dead beat

Yeh I understand what you're saying. I have always been concerned over the limitations of the Phenom II. However, people in another thread seemed to think that I wouldn't see any noticeable gains in gaming by switching to something like an i7 950, which surprised me.

What is your opinion on a single 580 running at 2,560 x 1,600 with my current processor? (all the benchmarks are done with intel processors, which makes it hard to compare).

I wish AMD would come out with something that could rival the more top end intel systems, so I wouldn't have to upgrade my whole platform.

6. -JP-

-JP- What's a Dremel?

For graphics i can recommend the ATi Radeon HD 5970, mine has worked fine for the past 6months.. And if i were you i would probably buy the AMD Phenom ll X6 1055T, i hawe both 1055T and 1090T, and i can tell you that the 1055T runs better than the 1090T! Dotn know why.. The 1055T takes the bus better than the 1090T..

7. dead beat

I don't really consider the 1055t or 1090t to be an upgrade from a 955. Not for gaming anyway.

My board is based on the 980a chipset, so supports SLI not Crossfire, which is why I am looking at Nvidia cards. If I changed my platform to Intel, then the likelyhood is that the board would also have an Nvidia chipset.

8. Marine-RX179

One of the "people" you refering to was me as well lol. On that scenerio, I really think your unsatisfactory with the performance is more to do with the GTX295 than your overclocked Phenom II X4. The reason why a few of us said you won't see much improvement between overclocked Phenom II X4 and overclocked i5/7 is because GTX295's speed is not beyond the level which the overclocked Phenom II X4 could handle, so there won't be too big a different on the frame rate of it and the i5/7.

Phenom II X4 overclocked to around 4GHz should be able to just barely keep up with with graphic up to 5970/Crossfire 5850 level at 1920 res. Considering that GTX580 is more or less on par with 5970, the overclocked Phenom II X4 should be fine keeping up with a SINGLE GTX580...but not GTX470/GTX480/GTX570/GTX580 on SLI, unless it is at higher res than 1920.

So basically the important thing is to know the capability of the CPU is to what extend of graphic level.

9. dead beat

Thanks for the informative post Marine.

So it seems from what you're saying that if I were to switch my 295 with a 580 and still use my current 24" monitor, then the cpu should just about cope with the power of the card, but adding another 580 would be pointless. However, as I'm intending to game on a 30" monitor (and a much higher resolution) running SLI on a 580 would also work without the cpu being a bottleneck due to the minimum framerate issue?

So it's not really necessary for me to upgrade the entire platform?

Sorry if this sounds dumb, but I'd rather avoid shelling out a load more money for a new processor/mobo if i don't really have to.

10. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

That processor not going to stop you getting frame-rates below 30 fps in any game is it?
    While a single 580 may go below 30 fps in at those kinds of resolution.
    Wait until sandy bridge has dropped in price then get one of those and an 2nd sli 580.

11. dead beat

In the Just Cause 2 benchmarks @ 1920 x 1200 (all settings maxed), I'm averaging around 42 fps in all tests. The minimum I have seen is 22 fps. It's the micro stutter that's the issue, which seems to be the result of the multi chip configuration of the 295.

However, switching to a 30" monitor completely changes the entire scenario. Changing to an Intel system, buying two 580's and a 30" monitor is going to become very expensive.

It almost seems more reasonable to forget about the 30" monitor for the time being and just change the platform and add a 580. Then upgrade the monitor at a later date. It's a bit of a tricky one.

12. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

If your unhappy enough with a 295's performance to buy a 580 and 30" monitor money can't be much of a problem.
    That's got to be £900? at least.

If you really want to play at 2560 * with AA and such then wait 1 month for sandy bridge and get the i5 2500+mobo with crossfire. That'll be around £300.
    Then get duel 6970, they scale very well and the 2gb of ram means they perform very well at higher resolution, and it'll be cheaper than sli 580's.

13. Marine-RX179

I guess the question you are ask yourself is...are you 100% sure you will be upgrading to 30" (2560x1600)? If you are then upgrading to Intel, and then go Crossfire 6970 is probably the best bet (GTX580 SLI is just too expensive). If you are sticking with 1920 res, then a single GTX570 and overclock it would pretty much eat through any game you throw at it at max settings with 4xAA (except Metro2033), Crysis should run ok at very high with 0x or 2xAA.

14. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

GTX 580s cost peanuts compared to the monitor.

In-Plane Switching monitors are expensive. A new 30" monitor can cost anywhere from £1200 to over £2000. RGB LED backlit monitors are even more expensive.

Unless you buy used of course.

15. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Coming from someone who has a 30 inch monitor, and twin 5870 cards (with a GTX 580 coming tomorrow as a replacement), you'll be happy with a single 580 and a 30 inch.

It doesn't take that much power to run most games without issues. I ran fine at maxed settings @ 0xAA with a single 5870. After adding the second card and turning up the AA, the difference wasn't even worth the cost of the second card.

The microstutter from the twin cards definitely isn't worth it either. For everyone that hasn't paid any attention to graphics card power, the 580 is more powerful than a 5970, a 6870 crossfire setup, 6850 crossfire setup, etc... It's barely slower than a 5870 crossfire setup unless you're running the cards at 1GHz each.

Any games that you play in windowed mode will only run off a single card as well.

Single 580, and the 30", and call it done.

16. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

17. dead beat

Well there's certainly a lot for me to think about there. However, I think I will go for the single 580 and 30" monitor.

I guess if I find that my AMD platform is not fast enough, then i'll just have to upgrade that too. Cheers for all the help guys, having had no experience of the demands of a 30" monitor on the system, it has been very hard for me to decide.

18. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Dude, KISS method-Keep It Simple Stupid :p
    One 580GTX is the easiest way. No Sli driver to worry about, and if you feel you need to upgrade next year just add another 580GTX instead of having to chuck out two cards and buy a faster one.

Sli/crossfire is debatably better value, but i only see sli/crossfire as a way to upgrade you existing rig without having to throw anything out anything or for he lower end cards like the 460GTX etc.

19. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

Running two GPUs has too many small glitches and artifacts, not to mention double the noise and heat. You can overlook the small problems because they are barely there, the noise and heat might be a bigger issue. However if you can settle for a bigger single GPU without any issues, thats the obvious choice to me.

Of course unless you want more performance the best single card can give, then SLI/Crossfire is the only option.

20. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I don't know if you guys have actually tried SLI recently, but I haven't had any of those issues since owning SLId GTX 260s a year ago or so.