1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays [Q] U2311H or U2410H vs VW266H

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lxrysprtmscl, 2 Jan 2011.

1. lxrysprtmscl

lxrysprtmscl Minimodder

what do the specifications of monitor's actually mean?
    i use a Dell 17in 1280x1024 75Hz as my primary monitor.
    i am looking to upgrade to a larger and 'better' display.
    i also have an Asus VW266H.
    25.5in 1920x1200 60Hz 300cd/m2 1000:1 (20:000:1) 2ms (G2G).
    i use it for my xbox 360. and media viewing on my computer.
    with that said.
    i have been looking at three monitors.
    Dell U2211H. Dell U2311H. Dell U2410H.

i plan on using this new display for...
    a. everday use. webpage viewing, microsoft office.
    b. media viewing. blu-ray, dvd, etc.
    c. gaming. crysis. civilization. world at war.
    d. occasional picture editing.

in my research...
    i have found the U2410H as the 'ultimate' display to get.
    but. the price is so high. i could get the U2311H for half the cost.

how important are the specifications?
    compared to the VW266H.
    ......U2211H and U2311H are both 300cd/m2 brightness.
    ......U2410H is 400cd/m2 brightness.
    ......i have the brightness on the VW266H set to 50%.
    ...U2211H and U2311H both have a 8ms g2g response time.
    ...U2410 has a 6ms g2g response time.
    ...VW266H has a 2ms g2g response time.
    ......U2211H and U2311H have a contrast ratio of 1,000:1 typical and 10,000:1 dynamic.
    ......U2410H has a contrast ratio of 1,000:1 typical and 80,000:1 dynamic.
    ......VW266H has a contrast ratio of 1,000:1 typical and 20,000:1 dynamic.
    ...U2211H and U2311H both have a 100% sRGB coverage and 82% Adobe RGB coverage.
    ...U2410H has a 100% sRGB coverage and a 96% Adobe RGB coverage.
    ...VW266H has an unknown coverage.

1. do i need/want the added brightness of the U2410H?
    2. will i be effected by a slower 8ms response time? or is that just fine for what i do?
    3. how much of an impact would i see if the dynamic contrast ratio is only 10K:1 compared to 20K:1? or 80K:1?
    4. would i see a difference in colors between a U2311H and a U2410H when watching movies? or only when viewing pictures?

i believe that covers everything.
    i dont need all the added connections of a U2410H.
    just looking for a great display to view media on when compared to the VW266H.

thanks.
    sh4d0w86.

Last edited: 2 Jan 2011
  2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

The U2410H doesn't exists.. it's the U2410 simple. That put aside.

The U2410 has, as you saw a lot more connectivity, you can really plug about anything. The only thing missing is a TV-Tuner. It has a better Color processor which support 10-bit Look-up-Table. This translate to a bit smoother gradients. Nothing ground breaking, or an absolute must for anyone, but should be seen as a bonus feature.. like a USB hub on a monitor... not critical, but nice to have.

In addition, the U2410, has 2 pre-calibrated color profiles (with full detail report specifically for your monitor. If you order a second one, the report will show different adjustment level): Adobe RGB and sRGB. Basically, you pick either of them based on your needs or simply taste if your not a professional and you have fantastic colors out of the box.
    While the U2311H and U2211H does provide nice colors (much nicer than any TN panels out there), it might need manual adjustment, which can be time consuming.

The U2410 also has a slightly better back light spreading, which is interesting for more professional usage (NOTE: I did not say FOR PROFESSIONALS, I am saying MORE professional (i.e: not hit the auto-adjust on Windows Live Essential and stop there, if you know what I mean).

As you probably noted, the monitor is 1920x1200, so it's a 16:10 monitor. This means that it's more ideal for a desktop usage, as you have more vertical space to cover menus and tool bars in programs. In addition the monitor has features like Picture-in-Picture, and Side-by-Side Picture-in-Picture, which can be interesting.

While I can't comment on the VW266H, it is to be noted that your VW266H is a very inferior display in comparison to any mentioned Dell monitors. As I don't have the display, i can't comment on it specifically, but I hope the bellow information is helpful. I have the U2410
    The U2410 is a very bright screen. At 50% brightness (default) you are blinded at the time of day when the sun doesn't hit your screen. I set mine to 20-30%. It's very bright monitor. So my guess is that 300cd/m2 is plenty.

The VW266H is using a TN panel. The worst LCD technology their is. The only upsides it has is:
    laughably inexpensive for a computer monitor, and fast response time. The fast response time, is actually critical for the TN panels. As they can only output 6-bit color per channel (red/green/blue are channels). What this means is that instead of producing 8-bit per channel like PVA and IPS panels for a nice TRUE 16 777 216 colors, it can only produce 262 144, and to produce the mention 16.7 million colors, it takes 2 colors from it's pallet and switch between them really really fast in the vein hope to trick your eyes. The result? You don't see the right colors. Red can be orange, or/and Green is yellow green'ish, and so on. Now imagine the color switching happening in games WITH a moving picture... well the response time appear a tiny bit slower than the mention 2ms. And at <10ms you really don't see any difference, assuming you have some crazy eagle eyes. Unless you are a hard core FPS gamer with lightning fast reflexes... you won't notice, not even the input lag of the IPS and PVA panels due to the color processor (game mode, turns off the color processor, for reduce input lag.. if you wonder about any potential issues. I game with Adobe RGB color profile (that and sRGB has the most input lag), and I don't notice a thing), and I come from a CRT monitor where it had 0ms response time and 0ms input lag.

Dynamic contrast ratio is the light system that adapt to the display. White color will diminish the back light, and at black colors it will increase the back-light. If you use this feature in games or movie watching, you may care, else it's not important for a desktop monitor.

sRGB and Adobe RGB are color standards created to say "this is how real life colors are".
    These standard are back with a lot of research and testing. The coverage of each standard, means how much percentage of the standard the panel it self CAN produce. It doesn't mean that the monitor is color accurate.. it means that it CAN produce it, if specified (you will need a color calibrator, to calibrate your monitor... not so much with the U2410 as it's pre-calibrated (well a true professional will still calibrate it, as he or she is used to it's own colors, and knows he's or her's printer, and how things will appear, and so on).
    As your ASUS monitor is a TN panel.. it can't really produce all colors, and as TN monitor are aimed for people who only want to spend the least amount of money (hence why the build quality of the most (but not all) TN panels are quiet low), they don't bother testing, beside it will only look bad at the end of the day.

U2410. And no, I dont' think so. Unless, your work envirement has a lot of sun. But if you are fine with your current ASUS monitor at 300, then you are fine with the 22 and 23inch monitor from Dell.

Should not (see above).

No idea, but most likely useless on a desktop monitor, as I doubt you will even turn it on every-time you watch a movie or something... you might do it here and there, but not always. And you will hate it, if you leave it turned ON in Windows, as you will see the back light always adjust every time you open folders or your web browser and be blinded by the monitor most of the time.

I doubt you'll see any difference on either, even side-by-side.

The really interesting ports (beside DVI) of the U2410, is the Displayport (which is now appearing on desktop GPU's as it replaces DVI slowly, and now on laptops - first standardized digital port on a laptop). HDMi for consoles, and maybe component for some gaming consoles (Wii, for example, or who knows... maybe Nintendo next console (If Nintendo didn't want to pay DVD MPEG codec licenses.. I reaaallly doubt they will pay the super high royalty fees of HDMi.)

Already, the fact of getting an IPS panel, you will be stunt with the colors. Once you go IPS or PVA panels, you will NEVER would want to touch or see a TN panel monitor ever again. Getting the top of the line U2410, and using the pre-color calibrated profiles, you will be on the floor dolling and having a seizure by the awesome colors. And after you pass that, you will start to vomit when you look at an TN panel. :)
    Granted laptop uses TN panels, so far, they are no low power IPS or PVA panels, and they cost a fortune (HP has a buisness model where you can kill your battery life with an IPS panel.. and I think it's 5 000$ US more)

3. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

TN panels is the worst movie watching experience ever. Unless you are watching it alone because you won't be able to sit dead center every time with friends around. Viewing angle for TN panels are so bad you can't enjoy anything.

That being said, you will never look back after getting a IPS or even a VA panel. The colors are so much better. Of course you might now know if you haven't seen one. It is like asking a dog if he it colour blind. How could it know if it never seen colour. When I first got my IPS panel I noticed a lot websites actually have completely different colour schemes, just my crappy TN panel distorted them all and wasn't able to display some. What was solid colours on my TN panel was actually brilliant gradients and what was orange was actually bright red.

TN panels being 6-bit producing 64x less possible colours than 8-bit monitors struggle to produce smooth colour gradients. There is simply not enough colours to show a smooth transition is colour. It would look nearly solid.

Heres an explanation of dynamic and static contrast. Static contrast is defined by the amount of light each LCD pixel can block out or the brightness difference of a black and white pixel. The higher the contrast the more distinguished greys tones look beside black. A monitor with poor contrast would have blacks looking like greys and one tone of grey looks no different from another. In movies and games it is important to see what is what in dark scenes and high contrast allows you to clearly distinguish between different grey tones.

Dynamic contrast is the brightness difference when the backlight is at minimum output and max output. How dynamic contrast works to improve black and white levels is by changing brightness. In a relatively dark scene, the brightness would be turned down so the blacks are blacker. As you might have realised the whites are darker too, as of the greys, in fact everything is darker by the same amount. By turning everything darker it actually decreases visiblity rather than improving it. The blacks do look blacker but do you want everything to look blacker? I personally don't use dynamic contrast because it is pointless. The reverse applies to whites, I don't want my monitor to be blindingly white from time to time.

Dynamic contrast is nothing more than a really big number on a box. Sony actually qouted Unlimited Dynamic Contrast with their LED TVs. Since LEDs can be turned on/off instantly unlike CCFLs which needs to warm up. It is just another big number on a box since a off backlight isn't good for anything. If you have seen a plasma TV, they have a real 2,000,000 to 1 static contrast because each pixel is indipendently lit so there will be no backlight bleed when showing blacks.

GoodBytes likes this.
  4. neonplanet40

neonplanet40 Minimodder

Im looking at either the u2311 or the u2410 myself but still waiting on sales to appear! Which hasn't happened so far.