1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Does anyone use intel motherboards?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thetrashcanman, 11 Jan 2011.

1. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

I've been into computers for about 6/7 months now, but never have I heard of anyone building a pc around an intel board? Anyone care to explain why, are they just bad boards generally or do they have specific problems or are other motherboard manufactures just that much better/trustworthy?

I know when sandy bridge came out someone's reviews who I watch on youtube overclocked a sandy bridge chip on an intel better than boards like, asus & gigabyte but he presumed that was just BIOS work that needed doing. So yeah if anyone knows, please let me know

2. Foiseworth

Foiseworth Newbie

I'm not an expert but from what I have seen/read, other boards tend to look nicer and come with more exciting names for their features :p

3. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

I'm surprised there isnt a review of them knocking about, I know they make an extreme edition board to match their CPUs

like this motherboard

4. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

good point about the reviews cant say ive ever seen one for anything like 1155 or 1156 or 1366 ?

5. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I remember seeing a comparison chart of £140 Sandybridge mobos, the Intel had laughable power phases and thus would suck for overclocking.

6. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Intel make motherboards?

7. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I thought you were told to stop hiding under rocks. :p
    They do indeed my friend. Abit is also a sub devision of intel that makes boards.

8. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I thought you were told to stop hiding under rocks. :p
    ABIT no longer exists.

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I've never used one, but I've always read that Intel boards, although useless at overclocking, are the most stable boards out there. I think they tend to go into servers and workstations rather than home user machines (being that most prebuilt PC's costs are way too low to budget them so you get *******ised custom jobbies instead). If you want a machine that will never (ish) crash and are not worried about overclocking you'll want to look at them. :)

10. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Stable? Is that just a general design thing or something more specific as the only thing I could think of that would make a motherboard more stable would be a good bios?

and we going to see some photos of your water cooling loop today hey Bloody_Pete?

11. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

This doesn't seem to translate to real world overclocking results:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/20190/13

12. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I've got one of those, but got it second hand for about £80. Which is why I have it.

13. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

From the sandybridge boards I've looked at so far, the intel ones are the most basic.

From experience of intel boards a while back, perhaps due to keeping the boards simple & limited to "stuff everyone needs without stuff not everyone needs", they were rock solid & very good quality boards.

No, it's not just the BIOS that determines whether or not a board is stable, less obvious things like the quality of the manufacturing environment, actual manufacture & board layout design also make a difference. If you want a basic but rock solid machine, you could do worse than go Intel.