Modding My driving 'cockpit'

Discussion in 'Modding' started by knuck, 13 Jan 2011.

1. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Over the past two years I have equipped myself for the release of GT5. I first bought The Logitech G25 (as well as a PS2 and GT4 to warm up a little). Then I got an HDTV (huge upgrade from a crappy CRT) and a month later a first gen PS3 for a ridiculous price (125$ for the PS3, two games and two controllers).

Playing GT4 made me realize how uncomfortable it is to drive while sitting on a wooden chair and to constantly reposition the pedals because they are slipping on the floor. Every time I wanted to play, I had to set up the wheel, the pedals, my chair and the table... it was a pain in the ass and it spoiled the fun.

Well gentlemen, the problem is no more ! Thanks to my dad who agreed to help me build this :

(excuse the poor quality of the photos. I took all of them except the last two with my HTC Desire)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the semi-final result !
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still need to buy a seat cover the for Chevrolet Cavalier 1995 seat that is not very clean. It is, however, very comfortable. I was extremely surprised at how well it does the job for this !

Excluding the pedals, the whole thing is fully adjustable. The steering can be moved up/down and forward/backward, the shifter can be adjusted in height and the seat can be moved forward or backward.

The cable management is only average but the shifter cable is too short and I read from a Logitech rep that a serial cable extension is not good enough... I doubt this guy can be trusted but I'd rather avoid any possible issue.

If I were to guesstimate, I would say the whole thing with the steering and the seat included weighs about 50 pounds, which is quite good considering how sturdy that thing is :D

:rock:

bulldogjeff likes this.
  2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Thats really cool. I'd love to do something like that if I had the space for it. A freind of mine done something similar about 10 years ago, but made up the body work to go around the sides. It looked like a go cart with out wheels. Nice job. +rep to your dad.

3. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

only thing I would have is armrests, seems like it would be uncomfortable on the arms after a while.

4. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Looking good.

Allways wanted to build myself something like that, but I allways found a solution to play comfortable without cockpit.

5. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I need a proper seat for mine, I've got a wooden setup at the moment (an old filling cabinet draw on its side). I'm just using an old desk chair, which is the worst thing ever.

Only problem is, all the car seats on ebay are either too expensive, or too far to go and collect and won't offer delivery.

6. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Damn, do want. Make sure to get one of those massaging seat covers! :D

7. knuck

knuck Hate your face

there are no armrests in racing :D

at least not that I know of

Maybe I will ;)

8. Bartaggio

Bartaggio Minimodder

Local scrapyard? :)

OT: Nice, would be a bit too extreme for me to have since I rarely play racing games, but I still want it :lol:

9. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I want something like that for F1 2010.

10. Matticus

Matticus ...

Looks great, good work man.

Only problem, you have put the gear stick on the wrong side. Well, someone had to :hehe: