1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU corsair 850 not enough sli 570?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by memeroot, 12 Feb 2011.

1. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

My computer blue screens when either sli is enabled or I run a monitor off each card. I've done a fresh install , swapped the cards round, run with 3 monitors with either card and a 8800 gtx .....

The psu should be fine in theory - is th3re anyway to test ? Could it be because were 110v in Europe ?

2. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

You need to plug both monitors into one card. That should sort it. Make sure your drivers are updated too, ther'll be SLI profiles for the 500 series cards.

3. memeroot

2 monitors one card fine but if I enable sli then crash. I actually have 3 monitors which run fine off the 570 and a 8800 but I ultimately want surround hence the 2 570 s

Drivers up to date .... I'm fairly sure its power.

I'll try a 9800 gx2 also ... maybe it sucks similar juice to the 570

4. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Mmm, I just drew up the specs for your power and I think you're going to need a 1000w PSU. I'll take the 850 off your hands :)

Edit: a 9800 gx2 doesn't draw as much as a 570. You do need a bigger wattage psu:

950W at the least, I say go with 1000w, or for headroom, get a 1200w

5. bobisgod

bobisgod What's a Dremel?

The 850 is more than enough. I'm pretty sure you could run 3 570s on that easily

6. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

you can easily run even 2 gtx 580's of an 850w and still have headroom, its not the power supply

7. memeroot

It's very odd as it should be in the clear

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-570-sli-review/13

"GeForce GTX 570 in 2-way SLI
    A second card requires you to add another ~225 Watts. You need a 750+ Watt power supply unit if you use it in a high-end system (800+ to a KiloWatt is recommended if you plan on any overclocking"

... but I cant think of another reason... perhaps I'll try using a different plug socket - does voltage (110 here) or the age of wiring in the house make a difference?

any way to check (other than getting a second psu for a day)

I have one old psu with 1 6pin pcie power connector - if I hook that to the second card (along with one from the corsair will it be ok - or fry the card?)

@ thetrashcanman

can you think of anything else it could be or any way of testing

fresh windows install,
    fresh drivers,
    both cards work alone in either slot
    mobo will run 3 monitors with either card and a 8800 - just not with both cards....

net result every time that I enable the second card is a bluescreen memory dump.

I have an evga Cheesecake mobo... could it need a bios update?

8. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

You mean you guesstimated.

Simply telling him to throw more hardware at the issue might not be the best solution. Let's at least make an attempt at finding out what's wrong, shall we?

OP, your post was a bit vague, when do you get BSODs? Under load?

Zurechial likes this.
  9. memeroot

no not under load - thats what is so odd.

If I go into nvidia control panel it is set to use only 1 card... I then select sli (performance) it pauses, screen black bsod... to be honest I thought it was jsut rebooting the first time.

the alternative method is to have 2 monitors on the one card (fine) but then when I connect the 3rd monitor (activating the 2nd card) bsod.

If i boot with 3 monitors - I get win login on central monitor, then 3 working monitors (black windows certification note showing in bottom right mouse working over all 3) until windows tries to go to desktop at which point bsod.

I can boot with either card in either slot valid so it doesnt seem to be the cards or the slots... totally at a loss

10. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Then we can pretty safely say that it's not a wattage issue.

Can you try stress testing with a single 570 for a while to see if it's stable? I'm just hoping to rule out the possibility of a faulty PSU.

11. memeroot

totally stable with 1x570 and 2 monitors off a 8800.

12. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Man thats a tricky one, only thing I can really think of is it might be bad drivers, whats the rest of your system specs memeroot?

13. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

A tricky one indeed. My best guess would be software aswell. I know you said it's a fresh install but i'd still try using Driver Sweeper and letting windows grab whatever driver it fancies for you. (assuming it's running win7)

Also, does anything happen if you enable SLI with a single monitor?

14. memeroot

Intel i5 750
    EVGA P55 F.T.W.
    Corsair H50
    4GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600MHz
    Corsair HX 850W modular PSU

and 2x f3 hd's one with a fresh install and drivers - which is the new boot - the other is full of crud - both cause the same issues (I'm only connected to one at a time).

its a totally fresh install on a fresh drive now... yep old drivers can be a pain but this is as fresh as can be.

yes enable sli on single monitor also crashes system....

the 2 cards together cause it... possibly the psu is duff?

the bsod mentions something about atempting to rebooting the graphics system failing but it goes to fast to read. It says it's doing it to protect the system.

as I said cards and system not under any load

15. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Are you using the latest drivers from nvidia's website (266.58 as of now)? Or the ones that came on the driver disc?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

16. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

After installing my second gtx285 windows downloaded the drivers for me but for some reason it just kept crashing. So I downloaded the drivers from nvidia and wham bam awesomeness just happened and it's now working with 2 monitors.

17. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

memeroot, this is potentially a long shot, but could be a dodgy SLI connector?

As a test, try enabling SLI without the connector (unless you have a spare). I seem to remember reading that SLI can still operate this way, though slower, so should rule that out or point to it.

18. memeroot

I've tried them without connector and drivers are ultimately date ..

19. asura

asura jack of all trades

Have you tried swapping the cards over, to see if the second card is faulty the issue? And can you try SLI in another motherboard (even if you have to borrow a friends computer for a day) to see if your motherboard is faulty the issue?

20. memeroot

Both cards have been swapped , its not sli as with sli off and 2 cards running on diff monitors it crashes - but ok with either card and a 8800.

Aside from testing with an unmatched but still power sucking card (is 9800 gx2 realtime less watt ? Must check) the only real reason is power. I'll grab a psu for the cards and update.

It could be my house wiring - its 100 years old no earth ... may try taking the **** round to a mate in a new build

Closed for a week update then