1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Western Digital to aquire Hitachi Global Storage

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 8 Mar 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I love it when people say things like that - "$3.5 billion dollars in cash". I just imagine them actually turning up with that amount in hard currency!

3. Valinor

Valinor What's a Dremel?

They should measure cash in number of briefcases stuffed with £20 notes.

4. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

most analysts tend to agree this is good for the market. As market shrink, like mechanical storage interests usually consolidate. I don't think the HDD market was suffering from under diversity.

I've used Seagate WD and hitachi drives, so I'm happy. Mechanical storage is probably in it's last decade of being dominant anyways.

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

so what does Hitachi have, that WD wants? the enterprise market?

companies don't just go randomly purchase competitors.

6. Tech NoOb

Tech NoOb What's a Dremel?

- Their billions of dollars worth of market share?
    - Purchasing a competitor means one less competitor to worry about.
    - Because they can

7. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

SSDs are taking over.

8. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

No more DeathStars!

9. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

thats a good thing surely, lol

10. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

You have got it all wrong. We willll just get Velociraptor DeathStars - now guaranteed to fail, fast!

11. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Question is:

[​IMG]

OR

[​IMG]

wyx087, Picarro and Zurechial like this.
  12. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

good for WD, horrible for us Consumers, less competition is never a good thing >.<

13. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Tech, tech, and more tech. Like they are the first to engineer 1tb platters and so on.

14. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

This may also have something to do with it, why develop your own tech when you can just buy a company that already did the research for you?

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

This.

Hitachi has some great tech innovations but not the greatest manufacturing or brand. WD on the other hand is the opposite.

I bet Seagate are shitting themselves, esp. given its Hybrid drives are causing them so many headaches.

16. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

I have been buying and using deskstars for 10 years with only 1 (the 75gb deathstart) failing and 1 (2tb model) coming doa. The only other mechanical drives I have had was WD raptors and segate 15k sas drives. One of my first generation raptor drives is still alive and well but I hope that I still see the long life and performance I have always gotten from the deskstar line.

17. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Reminds me of that bit in Dodgeball where he opens the suitcase with a million dollars in it, and it's actually this tiny wad of cash!

18. rinseout

rinseout What's a Dremel?

Most of the hdd failures I've had at work in the last year have been Western dig.

One of the labs we refitted last summer had 200 PCs in it. 6 WDC drives failed within a week, which is a relatively high percentage imo.
    Apparently since they moved their factory to thailand a few years ago the ethos has been that it's cheaper to replace a faulty hdd than to build decent ones in the first place.

Good brand but rapidly going downhill in my estimation.

19. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

It's a good bit of business but it's a shame that a takeover will guarantee WD a loss next year, dunno what it is about big acquisitions that drive profit into the ground. I just happened to pick up a Caviar Blue for my other PC the day before this story broke but I just hope they get back some focus because that colour coding crap got on my nerves and I just bought the bargain Samsung last Christmas instead.

@ Rinseout - what "colour" were those failing WD drives? Took me ages to figure out that Blue stood for "the same drive you bought before we came up with this stupid new name".

20. Keith_UK

Keith_UK What's a Dremel?

If they do actually aquire Hitachi's hard disk division I really hope its just to buy out the competition and not to put anything from the Hitachi HDDs into their products. Just that I know a friend whos had bad experiences with Hitachi HDDs a few years ago.
    But saying that I did have a problem with my 500GB WD Caviar green HDD after only 4 months use started to fail with bad sectors developing and not passing short HDD tests so sent it back to Scan to recieve a new one. I have backed up onto a spare Seagate just in case something happens to this new one. I am only using it as a mass storage not for running windows or games. Fingers crossed this one doesnt fail on me...

Tags: Add Tags