1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Pete's Watercooling log/how-to. UPDATE: UPGRADES!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bloody_Pete, 10 Jan 2011.

1. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Hey Pete I know you said in your main post that the typhoons make no noise at all or barley any when you have them hooked up to a fan controller, but I did hear they can make a slight whining noise or something like that, never happened with the old ones, but there new ones can have this, which I thought would be rather annoying, don't suppose you've got anything like that happening/know anything about that do you? :] just I'm plaining to use them and I will be MAJORLY p***ed off If I got something like that after going to all the effort time and money to make the system, silent hopefully :]

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I personally stay away from dual loops, it sounds good in theory, but in reality the additional cost and effort gives little benifit. The same goes for WC RAM, unless your overvolting heavily no modern RAM will get even warm.

What is the Aquaero block? i loked at this last week, but i don't remember this pieve specifically. If it's temp or flow sensors then to be honest it matters little where it goes. Personally if it's a flow meter I'd pop it on the last section before the res as this'll have the 'lowest' flow rate. If it's a temp sensor then it matters little as the temps in the loop will only go up or down by one or 2 degrees around the loop :)

Pete

I got my fans last summer, and to my ears they are silent, unless you count rushing air as a noise :p I run 3 1850RPM's @ 1740rpm and at this speed they shift loads of air at a high pressure (both my GPU and CPU sit at low 30's idle and high 30's load) so maybe this would be your best option. If you want silence, grab as many GT 1850's at you need then use a fan controller to run them at speeds your happy with. Then when it gets hot during the summer you can turn them up full, so it'll give you some cooling headroom :)

Pete

3. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

The Aquaero block sits on the back of the new Aquaero 5, and it cools a certain part, allowing you to use 2 12v pumps (laing d5's for example)

I'm still toying with the dual loop system, will see how clean a loop i can get.

Sam

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Ah yes, but will you really need to vary the speed? I have a D5 Vario and I have it mounted on one of these, and when I was leak testing (outside of the case) I could only tell if it was on by touching it...

5. samkiller42

Probably not, but it's a feature, so i may as well use it.
    What flow sensor would be good? Thinking of one of the Aquacomputer ones.

Sam

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Are you turning into a sense and control addict? :p The Aquacomputer ones would probably be best as they're designed to work with their system :)

7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Just a little poke from me. I've had this loop for about 6 months now. I'm getting the feeling I want to do something with it... A summer project is looming I feel.

A question though:

The tubing comes out orange under UV, where as I wanted a nice red. Now, I have 3 options:

1. Try to find some better coloured tubing. I've asked the guy's at Aquatuning, but I think they said all of the red stuff they have comes out orange :( Any one had any experience?

2. Use a nice dye and clear tubing. I've been keeping an eye on Mayhem Dyes for a while, as the dyes look really good, and don't go sludgy. Not sure what the effect will be though.

3. Braid my tubing. Seen this a couple of times, but I'm torn as I'm not sure if I like it or not...

Opinions?

8. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

If you're going to get Mayhem dyes then get them quick. Following a car crash he's quitting the business. IandH in the US will be taking over but I'm not sure when UK stocks will be refreshed. For tubing I'd check out either the TFC at Scan or the Primochill LRT at Specialtech. I think the TFC is closer to red though.

9. samkiller42

Bump.
    Pete, Got my Motherboard Full Block now, looks pretty, also got a Swiftech D5, Doesn't look so pretty, but when do pumps ever look pretty?

What 140mm Fans would you recommend? I bought 3 of the Scythe 120mm fans you went for, and i'm tempted with either Scythe or some 1200rpm Yate Loons.

Cheers,
    Sam

10. thetrashcanman

Have to agree with you on the d5 sam, it is bug ugly, but you can jazz it up if you wish, don't know if your using compression fittings or not, but I bought these, one so I could use compression fittings and the other to make it look good :D

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/ek-d5-x-top-acetal-g1-4-rev2

and this http://www.scan.co.uk/products/bitspower-d5-mcp655-mod-kit-black-sparcle

11. samkiller42

Yeah, the block is something i will be getting, along with the silencer pad Pete linked the other day.

Just for the moment need 3 140mm fans to replace the fans Corsair supply in the 700D

Sam

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Ooooh 140's are a odd area. I've personally just stuck to 120's as in my experience they are far better. But I haven't used any 140's for a while, so things may have changed by now :)

Could use a 5400RPM Gentle Typhoon...

13. saxman

saxman What's a Dremel?

How much liquid did you end up putting into your system Pete?

I have been toying with what coolant and how much to buy for my next build

14. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

I had to check out that block

http://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info.php?language=en&products_id=2671

a water cooled fan controller! now i have seen it all.

15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Mine uses about a litre :)

Cools the voltage regulators and amps to power more fans. If your using W/C'ing it'd be silly not too really :p

16. saxman

saxman What's a Dremel?

All of that is only a Liter?!?!. I would have guessed about 2 liters. Glad I asked I would have way over purchased on fluid.

Did you ever decide on what to do for your new tubing/dyes?

17. samkiller42

18. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'm going to go for some beautiful Tygon tubing, and braid my tubes... That way i get the colour I want :) Not sure how I'm going to do it yet though...

19. thetrashcanman

20. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yup, only using MDPC braid, as it's a beautifully dense weave.That stuff looks shockingly loose on that mod, which is a pitty as everything else is stunning :(