1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Pi-Amp Bi-Amp (Update - Completed!)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ptah, 28 Feb 2011.

1. ptah

ptah What's a Dremel?

Pi-Amp Bi-Amp Completed!

I've had questions about using class D amplifiers. My preference is to drive large speakers in stereo mode with lots of power using an audiophile grade amplifier.

Installed the main board as shown below. It is a GA-MA78GM-S2H w/ a AMD 64 X2 4000, not state of the art but it has decent on board sound and video. I did take care to ensure that this layout will handle a large video card (there is sufficient clearance between the drive head and the main board).

[​IMG]

Installed one Western Digital 1 TB, one Samsung 1.5 TB HDD and a Sony DVD R/W into the drive head.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Installed the drive head to the controls panel - good fit. The drive head is locked to the controls panel with three machine screws. Also installed the modular power supply.

[​IMG]

I wish that main 24 pin PC power cable were shorter! I've seen how some mods in this forum re-head the PC power supply cables. I will look into that.

[​IMG]

Fitted the chassis cover -

[​IMG]

The rear panel is clean. I elected to pick up line in for the amps off internal pins on the main board rather than jacking into rear the panel.

[​IMG]

And that's how I built the Pi-Amp Bi-Amp! Thanks for the interest and great feedback!

[​IMG]

Now if you'll excuse me I'll be listening to some very loud Radiohead.

Last edited: 16 Mar 2011
  2. forart.eu

forart.eu What's a Dremel?

Ehm, well there are Class-D solutions for your needs:

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/...AMP-MODULE-GLOBAL-POWER-SUPPLY-PRO-AUDIO.html

BTW, now an integrated high-quality DAC would be great:

j4cDAC: a new open-source DAC project
    Open Source/Freeware Budget USB DAC
    Open source USB 192kHz/24bit audio codec
    Audio and Control Interface for Amateur Radio SDR and Audiophile USB-DAC
    Open source USB audio class 2 DAC designs
    Open Source DAC R&D Project

Hope that inspires !!!

Last edited: 31 Mar 2011