1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Amazon launches cloud storage service

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 30 Mar 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Nice concept. I've often thought this would be a great feature for Spotify.

3. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

As long as I can store my FLAC files (which I can), I'm not that bothered whether I can play them directly from "the cloud".

4. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

.... to the cloud!

Annoying ad. This is a great concept though. Be greater once they allow you to put ALL your files and apps there and allow you to stream/operate remotely. I'm basically doing that on my home server.

5. sb1991

sb1991 What's a Dremel?

While in principle this has been possible for quite a while, it's cool to see that it's actually cheaper than Amazon's existing S3 service, though it is less versatile. I imagine they've not included the torrent feature here, at any rate!

6. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

check the T&Cs. NOT COOL.

your data is placed there at your own risk. make sure you back it up. any downloaded music from amazon to your PC but then re-uploaded counts towards your storage !!!!

also your data can be snooped on by the goverment if they wish as amazon will comply and hand it over or grant access. now im not a terrorist storing plans or whatever but i dont like the idea they can snoop without me even knowning about it

EDIT- forgot cloud player is US ONLY. and the andriod app sucks from reviews ive looked at

7. Xir

Xir Modder

I've tried dropbox and other "Cloud" services, and it all comes down to bandwidth.
    I lack it, those who want to see my files lack it, especially on the move we lack it.

As long as putting 200 pictures on a USB stick, driving 100km then copying them again is faster...meh.

Of course, for JUST mp3's...those are pretty small files, it would be okay. But general online storage is just too slow and falky (well, the average connections are*)

*No, not i the smack middle of London, but try getting a decent Wifi signal in the province

8. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Me mam always used to say I walk around with my head in the cloud.....I must have been ahead of my time.

9. Xir

Xir Modder

:thumb:

10. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

No thanks, I'm not a fan of the cloud computing concept

Tags: Add Tags