1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Portal 2 PC metacritic score sabotaged

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 20 Apr 2011.

1. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah thing is games have gotten to the point where.. where is the challenge anymore

I haven't played portal yet, might not cause after the current releases I realized (well except maybe assassins creed brotherhood- not bad at all) what gaming is today.. and been too busy building my mill- calibrating it and making a cage for the digital readout =o ooo yeah

like give you an example.. here's quake 3 which imo is actually easier to play than quake 2 (they took out a lot of physics where you could circle jump and double jump- which took a lot of practice to master in 2 but added another dimension to the gameplay.. forget about a casual coming into quake 2 and doing anything to a vet- you could have the blaster and no armor and give the newbie permanant quad, max armor, all the guns and could jump around the map raping him.. there almost was no skill cap)

nowdays console geeks have no clue.. not one about playing as fast as you can think.. and it looks like we never will again.. the casual crowd is the majority- hardcore gamers aren't the pc geeks anymore who enjoyed challenge

it's sad but that's the state of gaming today.. not going to get any better either.. it's almost to the point that a toothless crackwhore can compete with a brain surgeon in these games

maybe protal 2 is great.. can't comment until I play it, but if these past titles have shown us anything.. it's going downhill fast

2. knuck

knuck Hate your face

To be fair I didn't mean to compare portal 2 to games that were dumbed down. This game is about much more than challenge. It's an extremely immersive experience, not just a game.

I do agree with what you say, though. Nothing will ever be as hardcore as the old Quake and UT days :waah:

3. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Played about 3 or 4 hours last night with a mixture of single player and co-op with a friend. Have already got my money's worth just from the entertainment so far.

Graphics look a bit slicker than previous source engine titles and the rooms are a lot larger than the previous version. It's a more polished release with a longer single player experience plus the addition of a co-op mode.

Can't see where all the hate is coming from.

4. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

:duh:

DMC3 on pc was just awful. There were a few patches and trainers you could get to make it playable though.

RE4 should be played with a controller TBH. Though you should be able to use one if you want. I will say that about 4 gigs of mods later, RE4 on PC was freaking awesome. Complete hi-res texture packs, HDR, motion blur, and proper control implementation.

Luckily, RE5 and DMC4 run very well on just about anything.

Last edited: 20 Apr 2011
  5. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

Due to school I have not had enough time to get though the entire game yet but I can say that it appears longer than the first although so far it has been a LOT easier than the original. It could be that portal prelude broke by brain so that they would half to have some reality breaking ones in order to present a true challenge. I can say that so far the skill required to shoot portals quickly and move around like the original is lost. While there are times when you do this the challenge is not as hard as it was relative to the first game. As for the complexity I think that the lasers were believed to be harder than they actually are. If you have any understanding of angles you solve these problems instantly. I do understand though that kids my not be so good at dealing with angles and thus these challenges may be very difficult for them.

For the pre release stuff I did not buy the sack but had some of the games already and played them. I found that perhaps playing so much defense grid may have helped get me into the right mind set for beating portal 2.

As for the story I really like what they have done and I have enjoyed the presentation thus far.

6. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Most of the negative reviews on metacritic complained way more about the fact the game has 'too little content for such an overpriced game', than anything about consolification. Yes some people said it was a 'console port' but a lot of the criticism is concerned with how short the campaign is above anything else.

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Flipping morons tainting a masterpiece, no need at all, good thing I know it'll be an awesome game as I sometimes prefer user scores (sometimes).

8. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

Lucky I wasn't drinking when I read that, I would have ruined my shiny new laptop ;)

Sounds like Portal 2 has the same kind of relationship with it's prequel as Half Life 2. I was disappointed when HL2 didn't have any nuclear reactor start-up procedures to figure out or empty coolant pools to flood with water re-routed through damaged ducting complexes. They were hard puzzles with a shade of frustration that I found actually enhanced the feeling of achievement when you persevered and finally beat them, but I bet a lot of people got turned off by them. I wouldn't denegrate them by labelling them "casual" gamers and accusing them of ruining a sequel, I'd praise Valve for finding ways to still make an awesome game when one of the main features has to be heavily toned down for the audience - it is a business after all.

9. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Aw c'mon.
    I understood it a bit when they did it with DA2, but with Portal?

What a shame.

10. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Look, there are different ways to look at this. Look at Portal 1 for example, which was relatively easy once you got through it. But then look at Portal Flash Map Pack or Portal Prelude, they built on top of that and gave you much harder puzzles.

Same will be with Portal 2, i expect lot of community content using the new stuff.

In my eye Portal 2 is at same or even higher level of difficiulty as Portal 1, thanks to the new stuff.

11. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Difficulty wise I think it was about the same as Portal 1. I don't want the puzzles to be harder. I come to a Valve game for the immersion in the amazing worlds they create and if I get stuck for too long it breaks that for me. If you want more difficult puzzles they will come as DLC or user made maps, but for the campaign I think everyone should be able to enjoy the ride. Also think of it this way, this game is rated for everyone 10+, these puzzles would actually be difficult for children at times I think.

12. Pieface

Pieface Modder

God forbid people having a differing opinion to you. How dare they!

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

How dare they indeed :hehe::lol::p.
    Also god forbid me for having an opinion of people having an opinion :D.

14. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

I've purchased Portal 2 but not played so the article had me worried but then reading the review and comments feel much better :)

15. Teq

Teq What's a Dremel?

I'm one of those evil doers who bought the PS3 version, though only because it has Steam interoperability and I can play the PC version as well :p

16. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

My roommates and I noticed the lack of quick-hand-eye elements as well. I was expecting a lot more of the 'place a portal after being launched from another portal that you were launched into by another portal' stuff but I was terribly disappointed that there was none of that.

On the whole however, well worth my time and money (so far, not finished SP or co-op yet).

17. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Same here, but I intend to only play it on PC. (Someone was kind enough to buy it for me!)

18. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

http://www.destructoid.com/valve-fans-whine-and-cry-about-portal-2-like-idiots-199220.phtml

'nuff said.

19. unikey

unikey What's a Dremel?

Stopped buying valve products when they forced steam on me (yes I know lots of people like it but I don't)
    having had to put up with steam for Civ5 (now thats a title that suffered from consolifiction) in future I will avoid as often as possible and if not i'll use the pirate'd copy to avoid steam

20. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

Erm, Civ5 wasn't released on consoles :worried:

Dumbed down perhaps, but that right there is a blatant misuse of the word "consolification".

Tags: Add Tags