Motors Mobile speed cameras

Discussion in 'General' started by Threefiguremini, 26 Apr 2011.

1. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini What's a Dremel?

Just a quick question if anyone has the answer for me (can't find proper info on google). Went through a mobile speed camera the other day that was being operated off the back of a police motorbike. However, the officer wasn't at the bike but a few yards down the road talking to someone. So what I want to know is was the speed camera likely to have been working on it's own (ala a normal fixed one) or was it only working when being operated by the police officer? Cheers

2. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Was somebody speeding? ;)

I went past a mobile camera van too fast once, nothing happened though thankfully. It's a game of chance with mobile ones it seems.

3. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Police tend to pull you as soon as you pass a mobile trap, if this didn't happen then I think you will be ok.

4. Threefiguremini

Well, I don't think I was. I was more interested really in what happens with that type of camera. Time will tell anyway I suppose :)

5. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Oh no they don't. I went through one several years ago, and 7 days later fixed penalty and 3 points through the post. :(

Which reminds me, I really must send my license off and get those points removed now it's been more than 4 years. :)

6. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

Are you sure it was a speed camera? It may have been a number plate recognition setup (small camera usually on a tripod).

7. Threefiguremini

Umm I think there was a camera logo on a sign on it so I guess so.

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Generally mobile speed traps are the ones in the back of a van - they record all the necessary information which is sent out later. I'd guess that if that was a speed camera it was one where he'd flag you down to give you a ticket or it was an ANPR system looking for insurance/tax fraud.

9. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

It depends. If it's a specifically marked van with a camera pointing out the back window and no other marked cars in sight then you'll probably just get a fixed penalty notice as with any other speed camera (this is what happened to me about 4 years ago). However if it was just a copper on a bike with a speed gun then chances are he's probably just pulling people over as they drive past.

How come? It costs you £20 and there's not a lot of point in it if they've expired anyway. Unless you have OCD and feel the need to have a totally clean license :p

10. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

OCD OCD OCD! :D

plus it's almost time to get a new photo card anyway... You're supposed to change them every 10 years, IIRC.

11. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Yep. IIR the original ones never had a renewal date printed on them, but the newer ones have it under the photograph.

12. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Ten years is right. I'm sure the old one I had in pre-photocard days had an expiry date of my 70th birthday.