1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Mobile speed cameras

Discussion in 'General' started by Threefiguremini, 26 Apr 2011.

1. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini What's a Dremel?

Just a quick question if anyone has the answer for me (can't find proper info on google). Went through a mobile speed camera the other day that was being operated off the back of a police motorbike. However, the officer wasn't at the bike but a few yards down the road talking to someone. So what I want to know is was the speed camera likely to have been working on it's own (ala a normal fixed one) or was it only working when being operated by the police officer? Cheers

2. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Was somebody speeding? ;)

I went past a mobile camera van too fast once, nothing happened though thankfully. It's a game of chance with mobile ones it seems.

3. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Police tend to pull you as soon as you pass a mobile trap, if this didn't happen then I think you will be ok.

4. Threefiguremini

Well, I don't think I was. I was more interested really in what happens with that type of camera. Time will tell anyway I suppose :)

5. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Oh no they don't. I went through one several years ago, and 7 days later fixed penalty and 3 points through the post. :(

Which reminds me, I really must send my license off and get those points removed now it's been more than 4 years. :)

6. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

Are you sure it was a speed camera? It may have been a number plate recognition setup (small camera usually on a tripod).

7. Threefiguremini

Umm I think there was a camera logo on a sign on it so I guess so.

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Generally mobile speed traps are the ones in the back of a van - they record all the necessary information which is sent out later. I'd guess that if that was a speed camera it was one where he'd flag you down to give you a ticket or it was an ANPR system looking for insurance/tax fraud.

9. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

It depends. If it's a specifically marked van with a camera pointing out the back window and no other marked cars in sight then you'll probably just get a fixed penalty notice as with any other speed camera (this is what happened to me about 4 years ago). However if it was just a copper on a bike with a speed gun then chances are he's probably just pulling people over as they drive past.

How come? It costs you £20 and there's not a lot of point in it if they've expired anyway. Unless you have OCD and feel the need to have a totally clean license :p

10. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

OCD OCD OCD! :D

plus it's almost time to get a new photo card anyway... You're supposed to change them every 10 years, IIRC.

11. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Yep. IIR the original ones never had a renewal date printed on them, but the newer ones have it under the photograph.

12. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Ten years is right. I'm sure the old one I had in pre-photocard days had an expiry date of my 70th birthday.