1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Bit-Tech 3D Week begins

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 23 May 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

No i'm not interested. And that picture is f*cking my eyes up and making it hard to read the article.

3. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Do I need to upgrade my monitor and buy some glasses to go over my existing glasses to read the articles this week? And will I get motion sickness from reading the first paragraph?

4. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

3D at the minute is gimmicky, expensive and the tech is moving too fast to be worth buying. most of the 3D films are just 3D bolt-ons adding nothing to the film, hardly any games make good use of it. pfftttt bring on ultra high def over this 3D illusion crap

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

3D is just a gimmick, just like it always has been. I remember the last 3D craze in the 80's (Jaws 3D - that film haunts my nightmares for all the wrong reasons), and it doesn't seem to be any different now: studios tagging a "3D" onto the end of titles, 3D either shoe-horned into a film (with scenes created for no other reasons than shout out "Look! We've got 3D!") or used to prop up poor storytelling in a film.

The same applies to games: it's just a gimmick. Because of the interactive nature of gaming, for 3D to work properly, there has to be some VR aspect that allows you to look around objects with your head - using the mouse ruins that. Otherwise 3D becomes no different from films, where you have scenes or levels shouting at you saying "Look! We've got 3D").

Add on the prohibitive cost of a new monitor plus the stupid gasses (which are a bugger to wear if you already wear prescription specs), and 3D becomes even more of a gimmick on the PC. Proper 3D gaming won't appear until we can get some level of VR-style control in games.

6. Xir

Xir Modder

Your picture is broken...:D

7. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

+1 ... Its just not worth it....And that pic just gave me a headache like everything else 3D

8. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Seriously.... investigating into these oldschool 3d-techincs, where you try to simulate 3d on a flat screen is a total waste of money. It isn't that interesting for the bigger part of the population.

And these goggles are a PITA! I get sea-sick of them after a while and my eyes are starting to burn after a few minutes allready.

Call me, when there's 3d-holographics without goggles to be had in the living-room.

9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Are we going to get free "glasses" to make us look like knobheads too?

10. SMIFFYDUDE

The internet has spoken, no need to run the rest of the week.

11. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Typical narrow minded internet.

12. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

I beleive as long as there is the option to turn something on or off it is still not quite right and is more of a gimmick. You might try it for a bit, get sick and tired, turn it off thinking you might try it again later and then just forget about ever turning it on again and still live a happy and fulfiling life anyway.

I am reminded that people are still so keen to turn off this technology even when it is already hardcoded into movies at the cinema, check out a favourite mod: Mark Kermode's 2D glasses.

13. SMIFFYDUDE

Good old Dr. Flappy Hands

14. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Looking forward to the rest of the week. Thanks BT, your efforts aren't wasted on some of us.

15. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Sounds like some of the readers may need to get their eyes tested due to eye strain probably from trying to watch too much 3D p0rn :p

16. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Incedentally, does anyone know of any 3D glasses that fit properly and comfortably over regular glasses? I would like to try all the 3D stuff out to make my own mind up about it but each time I try any of the glasses needed they either push too hard onto the arms of my regular ones causing pain being my ears, rest on the top of my frames and slide them down my nose or touch my lenses risking scratching.

17. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I'm not saying bit's efforts are wasted, but I still think 3D is a gimmick - although I would be interested to see if there are future developments to take the gimmickyness out of 3D as it stands at at the moment - whether that's true 3D (holography & VR) or whether any studios have any plans to use 3D in a sensible way.

18. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

Over the past 4 days I've been playing a lot of games in 3D, and I cant really say it's a gimmic. It's More of an enhancement to the games, adding that extra depth.
    I just got off playing l4d2 after a couple hours, and I kept running after leaves flying around in the wind and staring at the zombies as they ran up to hit me. The added depth made the game feel more real.
    Crysis 2 has been fun on 3D aswell. they obviously put a decent amount of effort into it's 3D development and implementation.

I think 3D is best done on games and not as a gimmic, but as an optional enhancement. I'm pretty sure valve didnt have stereoscopic 3D in mind when making l4d/l4d2, but the games just look and feel better with it.

19. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

A believer!! :rock:

20. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

ill stick to 2D for now thanks, I don't think its bad that the industry is trying to move to 3D, they are doing it because they need to exploit new technology to keep their profits moving. I am sure eventually that 3D will be the norm and will be implemented into things really well.
    But until they stop purposely throwing random hammers and ninja starts into the camera at the movies then it is just a bit gimmicky right now

Tags: Add Tags