1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Digital Economy Act appeal denied

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 22 Jun 2011.

1. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

The whole "if you're not doing anything wrong then you've got nothing to worry about" defense of these sorts of things really annoys me, it seems to get used to justify just about everything, cctv, speed cameras, stop and search, most of which seem to have little effect on what their trying to prevent and cost loads to implement.
    It's also a difficult argument to counter.

I wonder who gets in trouble if you live next door to McDonald's and you rape their free wifi for all it's worth?

2. el_diablo_72

el_diablo_72 What's a Dremel?

Ah, the joy of the Government holding free access to your data.

At least they did a good job with the:

1. NHS Database - F*cked and BILLIONS over budget.
    2. Defence documents - Which tube did I leave that laptop on again?
    3. Pensions details - I KNOW we lost 30 million of them but don't worry, the payment system doesn't work anyway!
    4. Care home database - Pffftm they'll die off before we can update it anyway.

5. Did you know the armed forces/police/fire brigade, etc refused to take part in the DNA database as individuals - easy to remove their details from crime scenes - becasue they didn't trust the government with the details! Hello child support, we've got some live ones here!

3. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

I think this pretty much sums up where we are heading and all the cries of "1984 was supposed to be fiction" are really ringing true.:sigh:

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

the isp isn't going to monitor everyone, they will wait for copyright holders to complain first, then at an undisclosed threshold, send warning letters to customers flagged, it's not as straightforward as they are going to monitor everyone, and send everyone letters.

5. dactone

dactone dact-one

strike anybody?

6. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

Mcdonalds. Their connection ...their responsibility to make sure it is used for legal purposes only.

Which of course it wont be so one of the first things to happen will be all those free wi-fi spots will disappear as providers seek protect themselves from prosecution in the only way possible ...by not providing it.

7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

ok read this then explain where the problem is

8. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

with the recent hacking attacks, things like these would just give them the reason to push it through, yeah, thanks a lot to the hackers who are protecting the people

9. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I suppose this is one good reason to be with TalkTalk at the moment, :D.

Didn't they say that they would never participate in this sort of thing. Whether that means they'll just stop providing broadband in the UK, :D.

I honestly don't see how it could be done. If internet usage is to be constantly stored, to be retrieved at a later date, just think how much data that would be for the whole UK. There's no way that they'd be able to store anything more than a week old, probably more like 1 day old, so nobodies going to be able to sift through the data to find anything in time before it gets deleted.
    And constantly monitoring every packet is also not really viable. As someone else pointed out, the UK broadband infrastructure is already under par, adding in monitoring for every packet will just kill it.

With all the recent hackings, how is all this data ever going to be secure anyway, I mean if lulzsec managed to hack that unhackable site, they'll easily be able to get into the storage systems. And it couldn't be stored anonomously as that would defeat the point of storing the info in the first place.

Why are all the important decisions in this country.....no wait.......the world, made by people who have absolutly no idea about what they are really proposing?

10. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

124A to 124N

11. Kasius

Kasius Bringin' the dremolition

BT and TalkTalk are quite correct. Having been in an ISP's employ myself it simply isn't possible to implement and providers will be required to sink hundreds of thousands of pounds into developing and deploying inefficient solutions that likely wont be up to the task anyway. This will put allot of companies whom fall short of the legislation standards of delivering basic inspection and monitoring out of business.

It should be the job of the copyright holders to police as it's their problem, not at the expense of the majority of the honest tax payers OR the internet providers.

12. Kasius

Kasius Bringin' the dremolition

There will be a reform once it falls on it's ass :thumb:

13. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Honestly, I would not bother reading the act since it has been summised everywhere and particularly until the mechansim for enforcing the act has been firmly laid out, the ISPs are complaining that the act is unenforcable.

I agree that if you are not infringing copyright in an equitable world you should not be affected. The bit that gets me is there is a causel loop here: the ISPs are responsable to make sure copyright is not abused on their network, how do you do this without monitoring all the traffic? I have also heard that the ISPs will have to respond to to specific requests from copyright holders to give up infomation on users from IPs that they suspect of copyright theft. In this case a third party is telling them abuse is occuring therefore the ISPs were not monitoring copyright abuse, surely FAIL + fine time? This means that ISPs must get more intrusive, costs and customer charges will increase and there must be fears for user privacy once third parties are entitled to demand user information.

14. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

Downloading information on how to build a bomb is illegal? How about how a gun works? I'm genuinely interested.

I'm not sure if that's a legit defence, I know ripping DvDs is a grey area since you have to break encryption to do it. I also believe there is a conflict with EU law.

15. djab

djab What's a Dremel?

They just try to do like France and the "Hadopi".
    Private companies check torrents then send IPs to the Hadopi. Then the Hadopi send IPs to ISPs who send back customers details. Hadopi the does the three strikes letter/disconnection (+ fine) thing.

An EPIC fail paid with the taxes of French people.

16. Technobod

Technobod Minimodder

Now to see how long it is before they can demand to know the contents of an encrypted connection or before an i.p. = a person.

I can foresee the courts getting pretty busy if everyone stands up for their right of a free, fair and open trial...

17. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

the problem with the summaries is that some important information is left out, hence, you should read it to understand the exact process, copyright holders have to inform within 1 month of the alleged infringement, they have to report it with proof, and all the required details, if any thing is missing from the report, it will be rejected.

there are other bits, like they cant get the customers details without going to court to get the details, again, they will need to prove the need first.

they can request infringement lists, which will not contain customer details, and for them this will form part of the evidence required for the court order

the infringement list will be made up of reports from copyright holders

18. feathers

feathers Minimodder

The solution for the end user is a national campaign where people boycott anything related to the music and video industry. In other words, don't buy any games or music or movies connected with the big corporations responsible for pushing this bill. If only people were smart enough to unite in this way but sadly the world is full of plebs and idiots who will continue to back the corporations no matter what.

19. feathers

feathers Minimodder

P. S. I guess a start would be for someone to draw up a list of corporations responsible for this bill and then get people nationwide to sign up and agree not to purchase anything published by these corporations.

20. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

with the peoples need for entertainment feathers it will never happen

Tags: Add Tags