1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Official Star Trek Case Mod: "TRICORDER CHIC" Listed on Ebay by Winner for $8,000...

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mnpctech, 2 Jun 2011.

1. Shael

Shael What's a Dremel?

The case is looking sweet bill :thumb: the stealth sata / dvd drive bays look awesome :D

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

You have gone quiet... NO VACATIONS! NO!

3. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

hey guys! :D 1st one arrived safely to Maximum PC Magazine's offices today... will ship 2nd with tribbles on Monday.. Here are final photos of 1st one before packing it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The boy 4rm oz and Guest-56605 like this.
  4. Gentleman_Dingo

Gentleman_Dingo What's a Dremel?

Allow me to post first in reply! AWESOME JOB! I love all of the lines and how they capture the essence of Kirk and Spock and maybe a little Sulu. +rep of course.

5. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

F......., flippin feckin unreal absolute love it. Love to solid aluminum being used as well

6. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

:jawdrop: :eeek: Sweaaaaat !!!!! Bill you've truly outdone yourself with that bro!!! :dremel: :thumb:

It just looks the way it should and totally captures the ethos of Star Trek

Stunning monolithic modern art in aluminium form :hip:

+ rep and then some!!!

7. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Fantastic!!!!:D

8. BOBDBONE

BOBDBONE Owner at BS Mods

Great job!

That is so clean and just oozes Star Trek.

Did I miss it or...did you clear coat the aluminum or anything? Just curious.

9. mnpctech

Thank you for kind words and all your support along the way guys! :D :thumb:

MaximumPC just tweeted the following...

The Star Trek themed PC mod we commissioned from @mnpctech just arrived. It. Looks. Gorgeous. Pictures soon

(whew! I like hearing when they arrive safely, now just one more to go!)

@BOB, no, polished it by hand...

10. Fuganater

Fuganater What's a Dremel?

Awesome looking case man!

11. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

Very nice Bill.

Its not surprising it would arrive in one piece. That is one hunk of aluminum there.

12. BOBDBONE

BOBDBONE Owner at BS Mods

I was just wondering if it had protection from all the clammy hands that will be all over it. Why is it that the shinier and smoother something is people just have to touch and rub it!!!

Such a nice mod. Even Spock would approve of it's logical design.....

Oh man that was nerdy wasn't it..:duh:

13. OC Maximus

OC Maximus What's a Dremel?

I'm here, lurking but I'm here :)

14. BrokenJaw

BrokenJaw What's a Dremel?

That is a really nice case (and a lot of aluminium)

15. mnpctech

Never underestimate the idiocy & carelessness of ANY parcel delivery company. No matter how durable you think your case construction is or how much packaging is involved.

I know that some of you have aspirations of doing mods as sideline business.

The last call you'll ever want to ever get is that your case arrived damaged. Especially if arrives on a deadline for photo shoot or overseas event. Whether it's minor or major, it's very unlikely that your client will be able to fix something that was custom fabricated or painted.

In general, Dealing with Insurance Claims personal is a P.I.T.A. Especially when the damaged item is valued at several thousand dollars.

Shipping Rules to Live by...

1. Customer pays for shipping including full insurance and if necessary, custom made crate or misc packing materials
    2. Include Invoice with shipment. Listing every single cost including labor.
    3. Expect the worst case scenario as you plan out your packaging. Leave no room for Ins. Rep to question what you did.
    4. Take photos of every step involved in packaging the piece and every side of carton after you're finished.
    5. I've even taken video of the packing process, depending on value of the case.

I didn't have time to make a crate, so I packaged the case carton inside a larger carton with ample packing, suspending the case carton inside, protected from impact to outter wall. Then reinforce all of the corners and edges of the outter carton with 3M #375 shipping carton tape. Apply several layers of tape to the bottom of the carton, it will be dragged and pushed a lot during transit :thumb:

Also keep in mind, shipping Overnight (altho very expensive) the carton typically goes through less hands during it's transit.

I will invest whatever time necessary to insure that my work arrives safely and avoid the dreaded "Oops" phone call or email! ...Just ask cheaps!...lol

Last edited: 7 Jul 2011
  16. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Bill she looks absolutely fantastc. I would be very happy to have something like that sitting next to me on my desk :D. +rep good sir!

17. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

This is true. The MM reservoir was FLUNG through the sorting room window right before my eyes. Just last week, something Bill sent me was "hoop-shot" at my front door.
    I'd also add that an extra layer of cardboard and Elmer's glue makes an OK box even stronger.

That's a mighty fine tribble crusher you built, dude!:D
    So, Maximum PC are going to add hardware?

18. Gentleman_Dingo

Gentleman_Dingo What's a Dremel?

Awesome advice! Info noted and saved. :)

19. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

From a receiving viewpoint (given that most of us mail-order components):-

I'd recommend taking photos of ANY damaged boxes arriving, preferably in presence of courier.
    Or just refuse the delivery.
    If you have to have it now, sign for box stating on sheet "Received under protest, contents not inspected".

20. mnpctech

@boy, Thank you dude :thumb:

@cheaps, Yes, they're selecting and installing a system in both cases for upcoming article.

@monkeyfun, you are very welcome!

@IandW, Great advice!