1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Pete's Watercooling log/how-to. UPDATE: UPGRADES!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bloody_Pete, 10 Jan 2011.

1. donok

donok Every Little Helps .....

I was thinking of have one 360 in the roof and another hanging off the rear using a phobya rear rad mount.

so
    2x 360 rads
    2x 3 fans
    3x gpu blocks
    1x cpu block
    2x phobya res

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yeh, that would work, and would give good cooling. I'd run it all on one loop though, as you'll basically get very little performance gain from 2 loops. Get a D5 with a EK X-top and that'll provide enough grunt :)

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

If you do want to go dual loop though, keep an eye on the PRimochill website, as it looks like theres a new version of the Typhoon 3 res coming out and it looks like its build not to leak this time...

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Due to Specialtech's payment system spazzing out my tubing will arrive tomorrow, so hopefully i'll have it all finished then and can take some pretty pics :)

5. DarthBane

DarthBane What's a Dremel?

Look forward to seeing them :clap:

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

So do I, but the tubing still hasn't shipped, so I'm stuck until it gets here...

7. streetuk

streetuk What's a Dremel?

Bloody Pete, I may have asked you a few months back what I should get for my spec with a budget of £450. I ended up not doing it and now I have a budget of £600. Can you offer me any advice on what to get?

Thanks

8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

What are you wanting to cool? And will it be in your FT02B? As that case really isn't designed for watercooling...

9. streetuk

lol, I've learnt that at least - the FT02B isn't ideal in any way to water cool. I heard the 800D was the best for water cooling. **** thing is I just did a simple (though time consuming) spray paint of the side panel on my FT02B-W. Can I point you to another forum where I'd started a basket on a Watercooling UK just to get an idea of what I was buying and the costs. Users on Clunk suggested some new ideas and I'd saved a screenshot of the basket but I lost it when I put my new OCZ Vertex 3 in :( Anyway, post 14 is a good idea to what I'm going for and I'm open to suggestions for changes and suggestions :)

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/water-cooling/41055-finally-ready-get-into-watercooling-need-advice.html

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

800D isn't 'the best', thats the TJ07 for number of rads and the Elysium for features vs cost :) I always think the 800D is very expensive for what it is...

Just checked that link, looks good although a couple of pointers:

Wheres the res?
    You sould be able to get all of that from Scan, and you'll get free delivery by being on this forum (next day delivery, check their sub-forum). I found that with watercooling kit, Scans prices are really good, like the RX360 when I bought it was the cheapest I could find.
    Remember EK GPU blocks have that bug with the nickel plating, so you shouldn't even be able to buy that block as all sales should be suspended. Go for the copper version. I know this first hand, as mine suffered from it.

11. streetuk

I'd like to go for the TJ07, Custom PC has had it as their elite kit for since I can remember (must be years, I've been buying the magazine for that long lol) The reason I'm asking you for advice is because of the EK issue so that's why I wanted you to take a look at it. Any difference between the copper version you've suggested and the Nickel version just out of interest. I got told it's just aesthetic reasons. I don't mind using Scan, they seem very good at delivery and their customer service is very good. I'm not really going for overclocks, I worry about the stability of it all too much to bother. However, I would like the ability to do it in the future if I change my mind.

I get the impression that with water cooling kit it's pretty difficult to get something that isn't very good, is that true? Just seems like people in the know don't really say what is the best because all of the kit is good. Or is that not the case? Any manufactures you think I should avoid?

Thanks again :clap:

EDIT: I'll get a basket ready tomorrow and get back to you on the components based on your advice and on Clunk's forum.

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Not in my experience, they're all fairly good I believe :) I moved to a copper one, but I haven't been able to test it yet, but itt used to be used to stop galvanic corrosion between Alu and copper, but these days stuff is rarely Alu so it wont matter :) So, yeh, it's just for looks.

I've had my machine overclocked to 3.6GHz from 2.66 and I've never had a problem with it :)

13. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

You can, but you shouldn't...

15. streetuk

Wow, best info I've heard in ages. So that obviously means removing the bottom intake fans, do you need them for water cooling anyway? With the money I'd save on that I'm tempted to get another card for SLI. :)

16. streetuk

Reason why I shouldn't? :D

17. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

You'd kill all airflow in the case for any passive parts...

18. streetuk

:wallbash:

19. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

Effectivley all the heat your disipating through the rad is getting dumped back in to the case, worse as there's only a single 120mm exhaust fan.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't do it and there's plenty of people who do without any issues at all, ymmv.

20. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Espically with that 580 dumping loads of heat...