1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming World of Tanks Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 18 Jul 2011.

1. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

Cracking game. Loving tanks.

Its a bit confusing sometimes when you start out but bare with it for a few games and youll get into the swing of it.

+Thank you to the WOT folks. I got my WOT tshirt , all the way from Minsk for posting a comment on bit tech interview with tank devs.

2. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

I got my WOT T-shirt too :D

3. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

I'm glad you hear you liked your t-shirts...

We've got a new competition with World of Tanks lined up in the near future too :)

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Risky:
    I wouldn't say it's that bad - not even 1% of Counterstrike levels for example. Sometimes you do get griefers who simply don't understand what it means to be outnumbered and die, so they resort to masses of namecalling and noobcalling.

It's easy to ignore though, the chat box is unobtrusive at decent resolutions, and message stay is short enough that it will soon disappear.

5. wanapint

wanapint What's a Dremel?

Strange how my post was completely ignored or deleted......

Game is fun, although frustrating at times with the high numbers of inexperienced or ignorant players and lack of team work which this game relies upon.

Be prepared to have every moment of your game and forum posts scrutinised in case the game is not seen in a good light (negative posts often deleted by autocrat moderators who have huge ego and no people skills for the role).

Cost you money to play a constant decent level of tank or spend hours to make enough money to use a high level tank.

Very addictive game.

6. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

The game is very noob friendly, thanks mostly due to the excellent match making. Tier 1 tanks will only be put against tier 2 and 3s, both of which they can kill. Tier 2's might face up to tier 4s, tier 3s up to tier 5s, tier 4s up to tier 7s, etc. Its very well planned out, and means you don't enter a battle where you're entirely useless. You can always do something, even if it's just speed towards the enemy and scout them for the artillery before you're blown up.

Even when you do die, it's just back to the garage, where you can grab another tank and get stuck in straight away; no waiting for the round to end!

7. timevans999

timevans999 old modders friend

the problem with comparing the t34 to the panther is that really you would have to compare ten t34's to one panther.

impar likes this.
  8. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    eheh
    :thumb:

9. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Indeed, and because the Panther is technologically superior to the T34 the game puts them in different tiers. After all, the Panther was designed specifically to beat the T34.

Then again, WoT is not a tank sim, so it doesn't simulate Panthers breaking down all the time :worried:

10. timevans999

timevans999 old modders friend

Sorry but the Jagdpanther did not have "egg shell thin" rear and side armour.

11. naeelin

naeelin What's a Dremel?

Hate to tell you all this, but the review your seeing here isn't even deserved. The horrible balance, and worse match making system is what is going to drive this game into the ground. Hard headed devs who won't admit that there is a bug in their client, poor customer support, heavy repair costs at tier 5 and up, and terrible community doesn't endear this game to to many people. Think about it, your lucky if you see more than 50 accounts active at a time these days. There is nothing honest about Big World, even their induction into the Guiness Book of World Records is a fraud. To anyone that is thinking about playing this game. Avoid it.

12. Flip

Flip What's a Dremel?

Hi Jake

Yep I got mine too :)

13. Kamikaze-X

Kamikaze-X Minimodder

Edit: actually, i can't be bothered listing the actual criticisms. people will see the issues themselves and realise that the developer should be doing more to the core gameplay and mechanics.

Last edited: 18 Jul 2011
  14. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

I don't know which server you've been playing on, but the EU server right has now 37,455 people playing on it, quite a far cry from the 50 you claim.

However, I'm not here to defend the company - that's Wargaming.net's job.

My job, is to tell the readers of bit-tech what I thought of the game and I stand by that review.

Yes, there are problems, yes it's not perfect. But it is a hell of a lot of fun. Oh, and if you think that the repair costs at tier 5 are bad, I'd suggest that's because you haven't mastered the game yet - as I'bought several tier 9 in the closed beta version.

15. Kamikaze-X

Kamikaze-X Minimodder

"Yes, there are problems, yes it's not perfect. "

Why were any of the more serious, offputting to new players problems not highlighted then, such as the fact that no matter how good you get, random battles will always pull you down.

16. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

Loving it atm, got my M7 and 6 pounder, kabooom. :)

My only problem with the game is that I keep getting client crashes in the middle of battles.
    The game ticket system is fast and friendly and I hope to have the issue resolved soon.
    As for all the moaning about balance, I see it more as a challenge.

17. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Because, personally I don't see that side of the game any more. Yes, the matchmaking system was very bad in the beta, but I think it's pretty good now. That's not just because I mostly play in high tier matches these days either; Jamie, Antony and Harry have all got addicted to WoT in the last two weeks, and so they're all still playing in tier 1-4 battles, and don't find this to be a problem either.

18. gosh

gosh Minimodder

hrm, i must agree with the horrible community but it's mostly the gits you remember, i usually tab out and post a quick forum comment somewhere (like so) when waiting the 1-2min wait for a match and loading so i'm not really trying - most people are too busy unless dead during matches to type. what's barely touched on is the grind as well, some tanks are absolute murder to get through especially stock tanks, and frequently being matched with stuff you can't even ding can get old fast.

however i agree it's a brilliant game and one of the best f2p i have played around, and i'm sorley tempted to bust a few quid for stable/barracks extensions and maybe a premium if i get some time just to speed through the ranks faster. it's also made me read loads on wiki about ww2 battles and tanks (though that certainly hasn't made me a better player) and the amount of detail and depth in the game is truely impressive - when you see someone dodging toward you between rocks and facing away slopes to confound artillery shots you don't get long to consider how much skill can make even big heavy drivers in the same tank a completely diffrent fight.

at the end of the day everyone should try this, easy learning curve and you soon learn not to rush in and how to use camo and cover and some matches are pure edge-of-the-seat when you get to endgame and you're driving through a sector you suspect a tank is hiding in and the combat music kicks in (never sure if that's random or an indicator). free and easy to play, hard and deep to master, and also free.

plus it's free.

19. jumblejane

jumblejane What's a Dremel?

Match Making in this game is the worst in gaming HISTORY!

If you enjoy being one shotted, then this is the game for you! LVL5 Tanks up against LVL 7/8/9s where you do no damage,would WoW have lasted if it ws to put you up agaist lvl 85s when you where 40?

I hate to say this, but I believe it is too late for Wargaming at this point. They had a year to fix these fundamental issues... and they failed to do so. They launched with the problems as bad as ever, and decided their answer was the Lowe/KV-5 where folks could play $30 to be competitive again. While some have done that, those who enjoyed building up the trees but realized they can't do so without paying-to-win have become even more disenfranchised.

20. Kamikaze-X

Kamikaze-X Minimodder

its a game where when you start getting even halfway decent, you start noticing mechanic flaws and that the engine is working against you.

the community as a whole is poor in relation to 1) cooperative play and 2) any sort of communication.

My favourite thing about the game is that it is about TANKS. not the gameplay and definitely not the direction it is taking, which is exactly that of when it first started: give em more of the same grind with new tech trees to keep them quiet.

i have paid toward this game, probably what i would have paid at retail for a disk, so yes, at one point, i was pretty into the game. but really, when you start to realise that you are paying to just go through the tiers quicker whilst also being at the mercy of the mysterious not-so-random number generator.

if i was to go back now ( i havent played since the 6.5 update dropped) i would stick to tier 1-3, because they are fun, and the effects of stuff like ghost shells and poor teamplay are less decisive.

My MS-1 and its numerous top guns along side my T2 Light are probably my favourite tanks.

Tags: Add Tags