1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Are you waiting for LGA2011? Need your feedback on budget.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-16, 25 Jul 2011.

1. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

2. SpAceman

SpAceman What's a Dremel?

Going to hold out for Ivy Bridge here. I want to go for an LGA2011 Ivy Bridge but it will depend completely on the pricing. I might just end up with LGA1155.

3. chrismarkham1982

im waiting for ivy bridge 1155 tbh, what ive got now is good enough. couldnt afford a p67 board or gpu when i 1st upgraded but im now in a position to plant a k series chip and oc but cant justify changing a 2500 for a 2500k just now.

4. the_kille4

the_kille4 Chaos will rule da world.eventually

true...2500 to 2500k is not really worth it. I think its better just investing in a better graphics card next time when AMD/nVidia releases their mid-range cards instead of cpu. I mean the specs will last you for 2 years max of decent gaming so that would be the way that I would choose. The cpu is good enough and there are still people who are holding on to core 2 quads anyway.

5. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

I will definitely be upgrading when 2011 comes out.

I'll be buying a second-hand 2500k setup when everyone goes 2011.

6. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

The pin count has skyrocketed recently - how long ago was it that LGA775 processors were the norm? That shot up to 1366 with Nehalem, and now 2011 with Ivy Bridge. What do all these extra pins do? Make the processor WALK? :eeek:

7. chrismarkham1982

ive bridge is the die shrink of sandybridge, you mean sandbridge-e ;)
    the higher pin count is needed with the extra on die features such as memory controllers and pci-e controllers that weve seen in recent years

8. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

The s2011 will be to expensive for me, the only ''accessible'' CPU will be the i7 3820 (4 core 10mb cache) and I dont think they will sell their Flag ship product 300$ like the actual i7 2600k. Also quad channel boards will be expensive to. About AMD I doubt they will unleash some wild bulldozer from their factory. No I think I'll stay with my first Idea, sell my actual rig while it has a certain value then upgrade for a 2500k.

9. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Aww so my PC won't be able to go to the fridge? :waah:

10. the_kille4

Terrible...terrible...just terrible

More NEWS about LGA 2011 and X79 chipset!

apparently there are more feature cuts to the server level X79
    vr-zone source:http://vr-zone.com/articles/exclusi...ipset-getting-further-feature-cuts/13173.html

overclocking the chip
    [​IMG]
    interesting stuff...DDR3 2666 support (that will be expensive)
    however there is a huge blow to overclockers which comes in the form of limited base clock options
    there is another quote that pokes at my curiosity on the image
    what does this mean?
    vr-zone source: http://vr-zone.com/articles/exclusive-intel-s-future-base-clock-options-unveiled/13175.html

Last edited: 1 Aug 2011
  11. dave_salmon

dave_salmon What's a Dremel?

I nearly bought a i5 2500k based rig a while back and you fellas kindly encouraged me to save my benjamins and wait.

Is LGA2011 really going to be what it was touted as being or am I going to get to that point and be told to wait for OMGMEGA Socket 9000+ Windy bridge and rage quite?

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

If it's not so great, Ivy Bridge wont be far off and that'll be epic...

13. dave_salmon

Dude, did you seriously just suggest I wait even longer than I already have for a new build? Have you seen my current rig?

You know for a fact that if LGA2011 turns out to be a wet fart and I wait for Ivy Bridge, I'll be told to wait for OMGMEGA 9000+ Windy Bridge when I come to ask about Ivy...

14. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

LGA 2011 will be good, whether intel, being intel will cut back some of the features and make it not so amazing as it was meant to be, then bah, but it will still be awesome, also why don't you just upgrade now dude? Unless you feel like your system isn't slowing you down in what you do with it.

15. dave_salmon

I had £2000 to upgrade and was going to jump on the i7 2600k boat but was convinced to wait for LGA2011. Some stuff came up since then and I had to spend £1200 of that on some other stuff and it's looking like I'll be living off the other £800 because of a balls up with my pay.

So, no money now...I'll have to save but will find it infuriatingly diffcult to do so if I get to Intels next chip only to find out it's a comparative floater when placed next to their next release.

Looks like it turned out for the best considering I wouldn't have had that £2000 to pay for what it's now paying for but it took me bloody ages to save that and it'll take me bloody ages to save it again, by which point I'll be smack bang in this exact situation all over again.

16. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

My system isn't that much better than yours... I'm holding out for 2011 and failing that Ivy Bridge, as 2 brand new tech's will be introduced with it, 22nm production and trigate transistors, so it'll be cooler, faster and use less power, so it should overclock to insane levels! This is all happening the begining of next year anyway, plus new GPU's at the end of the year, so if you save till next year you'll skip this gen and move on to the new and faster gen, well worth it in my opinion...

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Wait wait wait a second.

If this is true, then DDR3 prices for other frequencies will come down. Also JEDEC has/is signing off 2133 as an official spec so manuf. will start producing chips to meet this frequency.

If the second part is true it'll be old-old school overclocking back again. That's quite good. OK not perfect - not like the 1MHz bumps we're used to, but it'll be a proper enthusiast platform that sorts the men from the boys.

Anyone else remember the early days of FSB OCing? Drop the multi, try to avoid the FSB holes and PCI clock skews that were too far out of spec? OK we were only adding 100s of MHz not GHz like today but we also had less multipliers and dividers to play with.

If it launches on the same 100MHz bus as SB then you'll have plenty of multipliers to play with as you bounce up the bus. If the slides are correct, the DMI and PCI-E are also tied into the BClk, so you'll have to keep them in mind to adjust lower as you increase the bclk. That requires proper grey cell thinking time, not just voltage+multi.

Bear in mind Intel slides and specs change before launch - this happens to every company. It might change again so keep your mind open. We've no idea what the motherboards - from anyone - offer yet/what the clock speeds are etcetc. Wait for closer to Q4 - there's still 3 months yet.

Last edited by a moderator: 2 Aug 2011
  18. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Thats not true, YOU know what Asus is making... :p

19. the_kille4

sorry but I'm still new, and what I posted was my initial reaction to the news

I wonder why there were so many Ifs in his post.

Sure but it is still good to have some sort of news or a leak or something else. Obviously, I'm just trying to be a messenger and obviously I have no authority of whether it is true or not and in a way you are too a messenger of info. I don't see any harm in posting the stuff that I've read.

Last edited: 2 Aug 2011
  20. knuck

knuck Hate your face

my X58 rig is perfect as it is. I see no reason whatsoever to upgrade anything except storage space