1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Can't remove graphics card. :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by David164v8, 11 Sep 2011.

1. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Have you taken the screw on the inside of the case holding it in to the case?

3. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

Where would it be? Sorry I'm really new to this :(

4. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Inside the case right at the back of the case, it will be holding the silver plate at the back of the graphics card to the back of the case.

5. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

It could be that the expansion slot at the back (the silver metal bit at the back) is stuck on a screw. It happened to me and I didn't realise and I snapped the little black clip

6. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

Can someone give me a brief guide? I've looked it up but everyone else seems to have a different latch and their card is screwed onto the backplate from the inside :(

7. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

YouTube? How to install a gpu

8. megadriveguy

megadriveguy Minimodder

Is the cards pci cover wedged in by the motherboard, try unscrewing the motherboard and moving it to the right a bit

9. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Graphics cards are usually attached at two points:

1: The connector bracket:

This is the small shiny metal piece visible from the rear of the computer which the connectors poke through. The bracket itself is normally attached to the case itself (Slightly duller gray metal) by either a screw or a latch/bracket system. From your pictures it looks like you have one bracket holding all cards in place (You have only one card, but an additional 3 blank brackets in your case). Judging by the picture it also looks like that bracket is held in place with one screw located between slot 2 and 3. (Look at your first picture. You can see the threads poking through one of the four holes to the very right hand side of the picture. Try removing that screw. The bracket should come off very easily. (edit: the locking bracket. Not the shiny bracket mounted to the card)

2: The slot latch:

It seems like you already know about this one, but I'll include it anyway. :)

To the right hand side of the slot (Towards the front of the case) there should be a small piece of plastic sticking out. This one should be pushed upwards towards the CPU/RAM. You will need to hold that one to the side while you pull out the card, or it will just spring back into place. (And don't worry too much if you break it. It's not really THAT important)

Keep in mind that it does sometimes require quite a bit of force to pull out some cards. It helps if you start by pulling the bracket side of the card out a couple of millimeters, then pulling at the front side of the card a couple of millimeters. Alternate until the card come loose. :)

10. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

Yay! Got it out. There was a thing keeping the backplates in. I screwed it off and all 4 backplates fell off. But at least i got it out. Now for the PSU. *Groan*

11. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

I can't pull out the 24 pin connector. I can pull harder but I'm afraid I'll break something.

12. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

There should be a little clip on the side. Press that, pull, and done.

13. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

It's a tough one! You have to make sure the latch located along the side centre is depressed so you can actually pull it out. Be firm but steady and make sure you don't rebound back on to the motherboard if it requires more force than you expected!

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Sometimes the lock wont fully unlock though, so a screw driver may be needed, but be VERY careful not to damage the board :)

15. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

No luck :( There are little white pins sticking out at the top of the plug, maybe they do something?

16. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

Hehe. Out now. Just pulled it very hard... :D

17. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

Graphics card and PSU out. My new components should arrive in the next few days. I'll be sure to make a thread if I run into problems :D

18. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

So is this a computer you bought pre-built and are now attempting a DIY upgrade?

19. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

Yeah, it's a Dell Studio 540 Mini tower. I'm sticking a 6870 and Thermaltake 575w PSU in it.

20. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Careful Dell like to do strange things to the SATA HDD power connectors. (some models the L is the incorrect way around). I think they are not doing this any more though.