1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other General Battlefield 3 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Otis1337, 8 Feb 2011.

1. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

QFT it may not be a beta in the traditional sense of the word, that doesn't mean it'll be perfect. If the beta annoys you to this level, please wait for release!

2. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

Yep, if you backtrack a few pages... :)

3. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

4. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

Caspian border servers taken down :(

5. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Is it me, or do normal people just sort of adapt to whatever keys/controllers are put in front of them so they can play the game? I couldn't remap some keys on some PS3 games to my liking so I just learned to do it a different way. I rarely remap keys on PC anyway, I just remember the new layout.

Moving your fingers ONE BUTTON to the left to get WASD is obviously far too complicated. And it is a beta, it doesn't matter if it was released a day early, a beta test is a beta test. Doesn't mean it isn't designed for testing.

6. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Exactly. I've got a friend who uses a bizarre keymapping based around the arrow keys and their surroundings but he managed to play the alpha just fine. And i've managed to play online on his pc just fine.

7. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

One...by...one...
    I've made several total conversion mods, I know developers, I talk to developers, I probably could've been a devleoper. I just don't enjoy the idea of making games for your publishing overlords.

I act out of not my concern, I'll go and play Quake 3 Promode for a few hours, but out of concern for the progression of the video games industry and games in general. Couldn't give a toss about if the game is good or bad, as there are better examples of video games dotted through history that people still play, the point is how badly the quality of games has degraded. Not even saying gameplay wise, or graphically, but things used to just "work".

I never accidentally walked through a wall in Quake 3, but I can in BFBC2.

You completely missed my point. My point was that this is PERFECT for load testing Battlelog because of the amount of people crashing back to their browser.

A test is a test and this is a valid test of the Battlelog system. What is bad is releasing a sub standard version of the game on the PC during this test which gives plenty (and i mean plenty) of players a bad glipse inside the game.

If there are still problems with map flow, weapon balance or game speed at this point, I feel bad for them. I mean, they'll only have about 26 days to fix it. As I said, this is a test for Battlelog, no the game. There is no valuable gameplay information they can garner and implement from this beta before the game is released. Any data gathered in this beta about actual gameplay will not make it into the DVD box.

There's more to multiplayer than server side issues, but you're right. This is a test of infrastructure not the game, which has the effect of making every bug discovered in the game a potential issue for release.

If Dice have given us a release candidate I'd be very surprised, because it's full of bugs. If they haven't given us a release candidate and they know of the bugs, why would they not pre-list the bugs that are known? E.g. the fact keyboard / mice binding is screwed.

This is more than just keymapping and you know it. Don't play down a genuine consumer concern.

Sorry, but when was the last time you played a video game "beta" that didn't allow you to rebind your keys? I think it's an issue worth putting in size 6.

Unfinished game is unfinished....1 month before its release

Have you even looked at the list of bugs and flaws on the PC version that's accumulating? Have a taste:
    #) Clipping issues when prone
    #) Can prone through certain objects
    #) Gun extensions of other players float infront of gun
    #) Random crashes to desktop
    #) Screen garbage (similar to that of corrupt RAM. Polygons start attaching to crosshair, mainly lighting effects such as bullet tracers)
    #) Stabbing multiple targets the knife disappears
    #) Revived under terrain
    #) Revived with no primary weapon

If it's 2 days old the game is set to dive. If all these bugs that people are discovering are already gone then the developers have essentially wasted their own time as players are spending hours finding and reporting bugs that have already been solved rather than finding things which have not and matter.

I could play the game if Dice came round hung me upside down providing I can jump with my right mouse button. This isn't an unimportant button, like knife or sprint. It's a button I've relied upon and assumed to be the jump function for 15 years.

It's like changing the default for you to ESDF + RMB Jump. You would not enjoy it and it would take you a while to get used to it. All the while you cannot get to the point of testing or enjoying the game because you're too focused on remembering which button does what...This is what I imagine people who are bad at video games feel like.

8. Juu

Juu Haters Gonna Hate [✓]

Pretty much yes. I want to change prone to 'back button' on mouse though, Z just feels awkward

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

doing the same here :D

Caspian is no more.

10. antonyand

antonyand mmm Jaffa Cakes

So get used to it!

things change, man up.

11. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

Perhaps this is where my problem comes from. I'm so used to games that let players choose what buttons that they want that I've become dependant on the same set of buttons. Dear lord, I wish someone would come along and break my expectation of customizable bindings!

12. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

's funny, cause I actually have popcorn. Nothing better than sun, laptop and typing practice.

13. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Damn, gutted I didn't manage to find a slot! :miffed:

14. Bede

Bede Minimodder

It's sad because you're the second weirdo in 14 hours I've seen have a very public meltdown on these forums.

15. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

This is getting off topic a wee little bit...

Hell, I want to play the Beta so much, but I'm telling myself not too, I just know if I do I'm just gonna get bored of it when it comes out...So much excitement to hold in! >: |

16. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

When I left my pc last night at 11pm this was downloading at the rate of 1mb per 15mins! Still all there in the morning!

So wanna start the game can't connect to server/can connect to server! ...plug in this, plug in that! ok will do, can't harm right?

Your gpu driver is this ...needs to be that ...nope ...if ain't broke don't fix it....ignore! Ready to play and...time to go to work.

More later.

17. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Having just played a different game, I decided to use your key layout. I fail to see why it is so difficult for you to use different keys for a week. I memorised your layout and used it, quite effectively without finding it awkward or uncomfortable.

Stop moaning. And since you could have been a developer, why not fix it yourself?

18. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Well, I just bought the Arma Aniversery edition, so maybe that'll feed my shooting hunger....^.^

19. loftie

loftie Multimodder

You weren't missing much imo. Map was ok, but I must have had the worst timing imaginable, as I kept spawning just after all the vehicles had been taken, so ended up having to walk most places - not fun.

And as far as the bugs go, it's a Beta - there will be bugs and things won't work. Though I'm hoping that this isn't a recent build, or Dice is going to have their work cut out for them getting rid of a lot of those, but based on how long it took them to fix the server browser in BC2, there will be bugs for a while after release - sad times.

20. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Question: to you get to keep the unlocks you've acquired in the beta, in the real game? I assume that's a no but would be nice if you could.