1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 7 64bit Home vs Professional and OEM vs Retail

Discussion in 'Software' started by SirFur, 30 Sep 2011.

1. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

Hi guys,

Need to buy a new OS.

My brother has Win 7 Ultimate 64bit version. I like Win 7 its quite cool.

However, he got it very cheap and on sale from a friend. I really would like Ultmate if I can too lol, but I don't think its worth the prices offered online. So I'm toying between Win 7 Home and Professional, obviously 64bit versions. Some help in deciding between the two would be appreciated, and perhaps a good link where I can get the software cheaper.

As a side thing...my brother is a University student....and should have access to student discounts for buying the software....is there anywhere that offers the full version? The other question is because my brother owns the full 64bit version of ultimate....could he use softwareforstudents to buy the upgrade pack and gift that to me? I don't think so but just want clarification please. I don't have another OS of windows tp upgrade from as I'm keeping my previous system intact for my parents.

Thanks in advance.

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

You can use an upgrade pack to do a clean install as a starting point :D

Yes your brother could buy it for you like that, but it's a bit naughty. Home Premium has everything a normal user needs. Pro can utilise more than 16GB RAM and has added network features like VPN (I think), and Ultimate adds on the changeable language packs mainly.

Edit: I purchased my W7 copy from software4students I think.

3. SirFur

I didn't know that...I had been informed using an upgrade pack would not work with activation. Does softwareforstudents offer full version packs?

I am assuming then that home allows me to access up to 16GB? Is that including the GPU RAM? I may as well buy Win 7 Pro if that is the case as I will prolly be using this for a good long while...and more than 16GB of RAM is not unforseeable occurence. I guess there is no real benefit of ultimate vs pro in that case.

4. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

May aswell get the home version, no difference for most.

5. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

The upgrade version usually does work on a fresh install. I used it on a new PC and on my Macbook without any issue. The advice is to delay activation until you've installed all the updates. But if it doesn't work you can always just reinstall Windows 7 - it will detect itself and this counts as an upgrade. Stupid, but it works.

6. SirFur

Ah I see, now that makes sense. I may as well get him to get Ultimate as thats at £59...

7. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Software4students only do upgrade as is all student deals.

Yes you can do a clean install from a upgrade version I do it all the time I use the double install method its recommended by M$ very simple and easy to do PM me if you have problem finding out how to do it.

8. SirFur

Ok great thanks! Problem sorted then I suppose.

9. Teelzebub

Just a note software4students do not do the home version only the Pro and Ultimate I believe that is the case for all student deals

10. SirFur

Yeh I saw that...I'm going for the Ultimate edition...and my brother is also going to grab a copy of Office 2010 which comes with two licenses. Time for a freshen up from 2007. :D

Total cost £99, plus the Office 2010 is a download option so it'll be a forever easy-to-access source after reinstalls and the like.

11. Teelzebub

If I remember right the OS can be download as well you would have to do a ISO image on disk or a bootable USB.

12. SirFur

Easier for me to have to a media version...I have serious concerns about my brothers ability to burn the disc properly anyway... :p...besides free delivery...and also I think Ultimate only comes as media. Its the Pro which offers download option.

13. Teelzebub

Yea just depends if your in a rush or not tbh, As I said feel free to ask how to do the install if you need.

14. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

To install Windows 7 Upgrade:
    -> If you have Vista 32-bit or XP 32-bit, if you click on "Upgrade" Windows will still do a clean install. The difference, is that it won't delete the old Windows.. it will just move it into a folder called "Windows.OLD", ready to be deleted once your done with it (transfer your files and stuff).

Only if you use Vista 64-bit of the same or lower edition, that Windows 7 Upgrade will do an upgrade process when you click on "Upgrade".

If you have a new HDD, and you don't want to install the previous version of Windows. Then what you can do, is follow Method #2 here:
    http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media

Please note that the method #2 above is no hack. The registry item that you change is new to Windows 7, all you are doing is tell Windows Activation system that a previous version of Windows was detected, so that the activation process works. I pre-ordered Win7 Upgrade, and I got 1 day before the official release. I also got a new HDD at the same time. When I contacted Microsoft, and pushed how much I don't want to put Vista first, and got transfer to upper level support, the instruction I got, match Method #2 on the page above.

Last edited: 1 Oct 2011
    SirFur likes this.
  15. SirFur

@GoodBytes

Thanks matey!

16. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

unless you need multiple laungages dont bother with ultimate as thats the main benefit. Just grab pro as it will do more than everything you need.

17. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

Have you tried using the anytime upgrade to use the code after a fresh install from an upgrade disk, I have and it seems to work for me