1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Which smart phone to get?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grritsshawn, 1 Oct 2011.

1. grritsshawn

grritsshawn I'm not insane I'm a modder

Well I'm looking to get rid of my verizon account maybe 140 dollars a month is Nuts!
    Well i am going for sprint now and i am stuck between these phones

1-I phone 5
    2- HTC EVO 4G
    3- Samsung Galaxy II

I want to listen to music have it be able to connect via Bluetooth to my car and good battery life.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Music eh?
    Are you in the U.K?

Because you can have unlimited music download in high quality, and streaming from any computer that support Silverlight plug-in, with Microsoft Zune Pass. Downloaded music are playable on: PC's with the Zune software (100 times time better than iTunes, and you don't need 5 super computers to run it), XBox 360, or Windows Phone 7.

Windows Phone 7 with Mango update (Windows phone 7.5), really pushes the phone OS, to be at about the same level as the other phone.
    All I can say, is that I would definitely suggest to have a look on the web on it. And if you are interested, give it a test run in a store (don't ask sales rep, because they don't know ****, and pushes lies to push more profitable products for them. They are a lot of stories on the web form people getting lies and pushed old Android phones on them, that they try to empty their stock)

3. Xcellenye

Xcellenye What's a Dremel?

From what ive seen galaxy S2 is the best smart phone at the moment but its sooo expensive, i don't think you should really bother with windows phone although it is up to, if you need something cheap and quick then have a look at the orange san fransisco, i wish you told us your budget then we could look at that price range

4. microsoftPerson

microsoftPerson What's a Dremel?

It is not a bad recommendation to take a look at the Windows 7 Phone offerings and give them a try for yourself as it is an emerging platform that deserves some consideration. I personally have not used it but it seems the small number of early adopters are really liking the platform and I know Microsoft is really pushing the development tools so the relatively small number of apps will probably only be a short term concern.

I recently went from Blackberry to Android and I'm not incredibly impressed with my choice for two reasons: no physical keyboard and poor email responsiveness.

With the blackberry I could type over 60wpm with two hands and could easily type blindly with one thumb. With my touchscreen device I can barely answer the phone without physically looking at it. So unless you are already used to the touchscreen you might see if it is something that you like to use on a day to day basis and of course there are android phones with keyboards worth a consideration.

As for the emails they just don't arrive as quickly as they did on my old blackberry phone. I used to get account verification emails and such faster on my phone than I would on my computer. With Android it seems to sync at some sort of an interval whereas the blackberry had the emails pushed through to the phone. I could turn the syncing option to a shorter interval but that would probably sacrifice battery life which is not exactly a selling point on this phone either.

By the way I use the LG G2X. It's okay, don't get me wrong. In fact my blackberry is in the desk drawer, still functional, and I have not even contemplated going back. I just thought I would pass on my experiences.

5. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

You need to change the settings for synch. The default peak is every 15min and off-peak once an hour. The battery seems to just fine...but its the bluetooth and wireless and high speed connections for internet browsing that really cause it to take a toll. I used to have a blackberry and now I have a HTC...the email is just as good if not better as I don;t have to pay the extra BB 'email service' charge. I have multiple accounts in one simple nifty application.

To type that fast no touchscreen keyboard is going to suffice...

6. Oggyb

Oggyb Mutant

Another nudge towards WP7.5 here. I have a first gen phone and though it had its downsides (no USB tethering, fixed on newer phones) it's by far the best device I've ever communicated with.

Consider tapping the people tile and getting a continuous feed from your twitter and Facebook accounts, and being treated to seamless migration between SMS, Facebook and MSN in the message centre. Also, I.e. 9 is no slouch and supports embedded youtubes unobtrusively everywhere.

It'll even put the Facebook events you rsvped to into your phone calendar.

In the spirit of full and bipartisan discussion here are the things that bug me to hell:

Can't upload or attach anything that isn't a picture from the gallery. Groan.
    No USB mass storage support.
    See here: http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/f...ase-enter-your-feature-suggestion-/filter/top

7. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Windows Phone 7.5 again here.. also.. .why would you put down the iphone 5.. it isn't even out! There's also the HTC Sensation to consider if you're thinking about the SGS II.

I've got a Desire HD (running cyanogemod nightlies) and that's awesome, I've also got an HTC Trophy with Win7.x (nodo) - haven't seen if mango has been pushed to it but when it does, it'll be awesome.

8. GoodBytes

The iPhone 5 will be announced Tuesday, and it will be the same as the iPhone 5, with the new, A5, same as the A4 but a faster GPU (I don't know how fast) - rumor

It will feature a 8 MP camera, but probable and most likely, same size of the sensor, so that me worse low-light performance (higher the MP and larger the sensor you want, to have more area to absorb the low light)... and that is about it.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/01/iphone-5-4s-placeholders-pop-up-at-cincinnati-bell-questionab/

9. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

I got Droid Bionic. That phone is niceeee and it's 4g LTE. Rumors have it that IPhone5 will only be 3g so Idkn

10. GoodBytes

I though rumor said it will have 4G?

11. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

I took a liberty to research more on this topic I found this. They said" Current LTE chips are a bit bulky and would force Apple to increase the size of its iPhone, something it is reportedly not willing to do. Slimmer chips from Qualcomm are not expected to hit the market until next year, so we probably won’t see LTE until the iPhone 6. What will we get? A China Unicom exec said this week that the iPhone 5 will support HSPA+ 21, which is kind of like 4G lite. It’s faster than 3G (21Mbps vs. 7.2Mbps) but it’s not as fast as LTE."

If that's so it means Android is still faster speed wise. Also a question: Does anyone know who's got better GPU? Bionic/Iphone5?

12. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

im just gonna say galaxy s2. because i have one and it can handle everything i throw at it. its super fast, supports pretty much any media format and has some great unique features. not the mention the screen is super good.

13. GoodBytes

Yea, but Apple will probably call it 4G, and people will jump on it, without knowing they didn't get the full 4G.

Last edited: 2 Oct 2011
  14. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

Thats the crux of it really... :/

Tis why Apple annoys me so much sometimes....

15. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I'd get a Galaxy S2, but if you'd even considering buying an Apple based product then you wanna wait till Tuesday.

16. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

I have just got a Nokia N8.

There are a lot of features it is missing compared to Android phones; on the other hand it is a little bit unique (so in my opinion very cool) and the 12mp camera and HD video capture are superlative.

I brought it because of the camera quality which is (arguably) the best available at the moment.

It has just received a major operating system upgrade and is quite a bit cheaper than the current top phones.

Having said that if my budget was unlimited, I probably would have bought the Galaxy S2 which has received some very awesome reviews.

17. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

I vote for the Galaxy 2 as well (since I own one and I am extremely happy with it). People are having issues with the price, but if your considering getting the best of the best, then the price should not be an issue at all. Also, the iPhone 5 will probably cost more than the Galaxy S2, and price/performance wise it will most likely not beat the Galaxy S2.

If you can't wait the Galaxy S2 is the most obvious choice (brilliant reviews all round from both professional reviewers and customers). If you wan't more options, then wait a while until the iPhone 5 comes out and there are some comparisons between it and the Galaxy S2. That way, you can determine which phone has the feature set that suits you and which phone is in your price range.

18. AMDFTW

AMDFTW What's a Dremel?

the galaxy s2 is amasing very fast and very slim

19. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

I have a Galaxy s2 and its a great phone. Its very fast and the screen is amazing but 1 thing that is poo is the sound quality. Its much worse than the iphone I had before it which in itself wasnt great. Also the battery life isnt great but then again a dual core CPU @ 1.2ghz is going to take some power. You can buy larger batteries if needed but I thought that I should mention it as you say its important.

If I was you, I would wait to see what the new Iphone is like and I would wait for the new Google phone to be anounced in the next couple of weeks. Its made by samsung and it appears to be very simmilar to the Galaxy s2 but with a higher res screen and hopefully a better sound chip. Its also worth looking at the HTC beats phone (I think there is a review on gsmarena) as it is suposed to have decent sound quality.

Or you could do what i did and buy a sandisk clip+ mp3 player which is tiny, sounds better than any phone I have ever heard and takes microsd cards!

20. TheLegendJoe

TheLegendJoe Syntax error

Out of those? The Galaxy S2, however I'd wait for the Nexus Prime or wait even longer for the Galaxy Skin (assuming all the rumours are true, Samsung have said they're releasing a flexy phone :p)