1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice OCZ Agility 3 causing Win7 to freeze?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Necrow, 12 Oct 2011.

1. Necrow

Necrow Minimodder

Last weekend I installed a new mobo, memory and CPU along with a new SSD the OCZ Agility 3. It is my first SSD so I was keen to follow all advice for TRIM, Defrag, Windows Search etc..AHCI was also enabled in the BIOS. I used this guide: http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-ssd-tweaks-for-windows-7/552.html

All ran fine for 1 day but now it seems to cause Windows to freeze. My system specs are:
    Mobo - MSI P67A-GD55 (B3) - Socket 1155- ATX Intel P67
    CPU - Core i5 2500K / 3.3 GHz - LGA1155
    Memory - Corsair Vengeance - Memory 1600MHz - 8GB
    SSD - OCZ Agility 3 SSD 60GB 2.5" SATA-600 Read
    PSU - OCZ 600W
    OS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit (Fresh install)
    For storage I also have 3 1 TB Samsung F1's.
    Cooling XSPC Delta with 2 x 120mm Rad and Xigmatech fans.

Temps are good and overclock is with OC Genie (until I can stop freezing) It actually freezes even with no OC at all. I see that there some support sections on the OCZ Forum but I don't have access even after registering.
    http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...d-boards-Vtx3-Agility3-Solid3-BSOD-setup-info

Can anyone help? This does seem common but I can't find how anyone is resolving it?

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

thehippoz likes this.
  3. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Stupid question but have you updated your bios recently? I updated mine after installing my SSD and it reset my settings in the bios from achi to ide. Could be worth a check, caused me alot of headaches when I got the ssd

4. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

When you say you have tried with no overclock, did use the reset to default option in your motherboard bios? If not try using that.

do you get any blue screen errors or just a hard lock? Does windows event logger give you any information?

I had a similar problem which actually turned out to be the psu, im guessing that this is not new and was carried over from your last build? If so I think it would be worth testing it with another

5. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

did you install the windows ahci drivers in windows before activating it in bios? did you do the firmware update on the SSD before installing windows?

6. Necrow

Necrow Minimodder

7. Necrow

Necrow Minimodder

No I'm fairly certain that I checked the BIOS several times and it is still set to ACHI. It was IDE first when I installed Win7 but I changed it soon as I read that guide above.

8. Necrow

Necrow Minimodder

On the MSI there is a nice little OC Genie button that allows for 1 second overclock. If I use this it runs at around 4.5 and without it it runs at stock 3.3. I haven't played with manual overclock yet as I'm waiting until I have SSD stable

9. Necrow

Necrow Minimodder

Actually no I am stupid and installed Win 7 before I realised that the latest SSD is shipping with an old firmware. I haven't updated it yet, I will try this tonight but I read that it will cause problems as it is where the OS resides.

10. Necrow

Necrow Minimodder

To all posters above, thanks ever so much, this is why this community is so good for advice and help :)