1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Codecs Windows 7

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by iknowgungfu, 5 Nov 2011.

1. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

If I am using VLC for video playback should I be downloading any codec packs at all? A few years back (when I didn't have a macbook for my main computer) I remember downloading different packs of copdecs.

2. unikey

unikey What's a Dremel?

You will need a codec only if they aren't included in VLC and most are. I use the Klite Codec Pack to fill in the gaps.
    Do not download individual codecs for files (usually pirated movies etc) from an unknown website as most of them are a scam or trojan

3. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

If VLC can't play it, it can't be played. This is a combination of partial fact and partial opinion.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

VLC doesn't need codec pack.

If you use Windows Media Player or Center then you do need a codec pack:
    -> Windows XP - CCP or K-lite is fine
    -> Windows 7 - already has many superb codecs provided including DVD codec, in both 32 and 64-bit flavor. Basically if you want less known files, like FLV's, or MKV's, then a codec pack is needed to extend this.
    KLite, and CCP overrides Windows codec's and tend to break stuff as they are designed for XP. I use Shark007 codec pack (32-bit and 64-bit), there is also [urlhttp://www.windows7codecs.com/]Windows 7 Codec pack[/url] (not from Microsoft, or have any affiliation with Microsoft, miss leading name).

Up's and down's of both.
    Both does the job nice and neat.
    -> Shark007 has a terrible looking website.
    -> Windows 7 Codec pack, has a miss leading name, making you think it's from Microsoft, and the web site template is stolen from Yahoo page web hosting, mixed with Microsoft stolen background

-> Shark007 has a forum with support from the developer.
    -> Windows 7 Codec pack has 1 page... got a problem, too bad.

5. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

I mainly use VLC and so far I've had no problems. Just wanted to check though. Cheers. Goodbytes..you seem to be a paragon of advice on here. Loving the Dell U2410 that i bought too.......

6. GoodBytes

Thanks

AWESOME! Yea, totally a sweat monitor.

7. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

Well....my monitor seems quite dry. Not sure why yours is sweating :) Maybe you need to give it a well earned rest?

8. GoodBytes

lol stupid Firefox spellchecker. Confuses me.

9. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

The three most popular video players which play most things out of the box, dont install extra codec packs which overwrite directshow filters etc are:

1) VLC - Plays almost everything, however.....
    its GPU accelerated playback is poor and fairly undeveloped compared to other solutions
    its seekbar doesnt work that well.
    its deinterlacing is poor
    you cannot use external codecs
    its a fair bit larger than...

2) MPC-HC - Plays almost everything apart from he-aac audio (aka aac-latm, this is used for freeview HD
    Great DXVA
    Has lots of render options, even including mad VR if you install that
    options to use external filters
    very small in size, 13.2MB after install
    i like its vsync, tearing test, gpu control options
    note - the sourceforge mpc-hc page tends to have fairly old builds of mpc-hc. You may prefer to get more recent builds by using http://www.xvidvideo.ru/media-player-classic-home-cinema-x86-x64/

3) XBMC
    As the name says, its pretty much a whole media center, with video playback included. Its a pretty popular solution for HTPC use, can look very swish if you have a nice library of videos. Its not the best if you are on windows and just want video playback though.

Of course, you dont really need a standalone player, you may prefer to use windows media player or windows media center. This is where you might think you need a codec pack..... but no, do not install a codec pack (not k-lite, not shark007, not even CCCP).

If you are on windows 7, directshow (what WMP and WMC use) has a very functional h264 decoder, even on 64bit (on 64bit, you need 64bit decoders for media center). The only thing you really need is a splitter, like haali media splitter.

Install that (same one for 32 or 64 bit) and its just a matter of registering the file assocation. IIRC haali can do this on installtion now.

That might be all you ever need. If you do run into the limitations of the MS decoders, there are a few different options for codecs, particular h264. ffdshow, coreavc and diavc all have their advantages and disadvantages. If on 64bit, I would recommend a clsid built of ffdshow.