1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Asus Transformer Prime TF201

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Edwards, 11 Jan 2012.

1. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Has anyone else ordered one of these?

I got a dispatch email from ebuyer yesterday, so hopefully this will be waiting for me when I get home from work today. Asus have announced a worldwide OTA ICS update for the tablet tomorrow, along with the tool to allow custom kernels/roms on the tablet too. Needless to say I'm quite excited :D

[​IMG]

Asus have just announced the TF700, which is the same tablet with a higher res screen (though whether this will be an IPS display too is yet to be seen), also fixing some of the issues that have been seen with the transformer, which is a little irking. Main issues people have been complaining about are the Wifi & GPS performance, which is apparently down to the back panel being made out of aluminium, a design oversight made by Asus. Hopefully I won't be having too many issues with this as I'm never far from a router, but we'll see.

Last edited: 11 Jan 2012
  2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

One of my mates managed to get one of these from PC world last week...

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

The Transformer Prime's OTA update started on the 9th (as announced on our Facebook page), so should be available by the time the tablet arrives. I hope you enjoy using it! :)

4. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

any feedback on what your mate thinks about it? is he liking it?

5. Itchy Rim

Itchy Rim Minimodder

What size screen do these jobbies have, are they in different size models or is it fixed to one model only?

Itchy

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

He loves it!

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

The two shipping models - Transformer TF101 and Transformer Prime - both have 10.1in 1,280 x 800 screens. The Prime has a newer, brighter SuperIPS display which improves outdoor viewing in particular and it also benefits other improvements including more RAM and a quad-core Tegra 3 chip.

There's also the recently announced 7in MeMo 370T, which also has a 1,280 x 800 resolution. Also, the TF700T was demoed for the first time at CES this week, which has a higher 1,920 x 1,200 10.1in display. I can't talk in much detail about the MeMo 370T or Transformer TF700T at the moment as the products have only just been shown for the first time - availability is some way off.

8. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I'm seriously tempted to treat myself to a Transformer, Maybe Tf101 for now, and wait for TF700T to be released.

Sam

9. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Thanks for the update Tim, I can't read the facebook page from work, but is there any mention of the unlock bootloader utility that was supposed to be released alongside ICS?

I quite like the idea of being able to dual boot ubuntu and android like the transformer currently can.

Just checked and my ATP has been delivered; can't wait to get home!

10. samkiller42

Read the original post Edwards, it's already up there.

Sam

11. Itchy Rim

Itchy Rim Minimodder

Them 7" jobbies sound like what I need, something I can shove in a pocket nice an easy.

Itchy

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

The bootloader unlock tool hasn't been released yet, but it is forthcoming - there will be an announcement as soon as it's available. :)

13. trig

trig god's little mistake

is that you smiley? haven't personally seen you in a thread for awhile...how are you?

edit: dunno why i typed smiley lol...smalley!

Last edited: 11 Jan 2012
  14. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Have to say, I'm pretty disappointed.

The prime itself is beautiful, no doubt about it. Wifi isn't amazing, but it's more than acceptable (just under 20Mbps on my 50Mb line). The major flaw with it is that when I connect my bluetooth headset to the prime, the Wifi goes straight out the window. I ran a speedtest on it when connected, and got 0.54Mbps download speed. I really like this tablet, but this is a deal breaker for me, and I'll be returning it.

Hopefully the TF700T doesn't have this issue.

15. Tim S

Tim S OG

I'm sorry to hear that you've encountered some problems with the Transformer Prime - it could be that you've got a faulty unit, but without knowing more I am not going to make a sweeping diagnosis. I will get in touch with Taipei to find out if this is something the engineers have come across before and I'll come back to you as soon as I hear more.

Again, I'm really sorry that you're having problems. :(

Tim

16. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Hi Tim,

No problem. I may have jumped the gun on this one. Further testing with other devices shows that bluetooth tethering is interfering with WiFi signals on other devices, I'm assuming because they must run quite close to each other on the 2.4 Ghz spectrum. I've seen that the iPad 2 has the ability to connect on the 5Ghz spectrum, circumventing this issue, though it doesn't appear that this is the case on the prime. I'm assuming that as the tf700t has all the same specs except for the back, resolution and camera, it will be the same for that too.

I'm undecided on what I will do at the moment, I will ponder this some more.

17. mikeyman198

mikeyman198 Lets pretend this is hilarious.

My friend ordered himself one of these to replace his really old laptop that turned into a tablet when you swiveled the screen around so he could make notes on it :)

18. samkiller42

I have heard of similar issues with the Prime, can't remember where i read it though. However, the 700T may not suffer from the same issue:

Sam

19. samkiller42

So, erm, I've just ordered myself a Prime. Will hopefully get it soon.

Any Tablet apps worth looking at? Does the Market have a tab for Tablet only apps, or are they all jumbled into one big pot?

Sam

20. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Hi Sam,

After some PMs back and forth between myself and Tim, I'm getting my Transformer Prime replaced so they can investigate my bluetooth issue.

So far the best apps i've found for the prime are:

Perfect Viewer - for reading comics
    MX Video Player - for playing MKVs and other videos
    ES File Explorer - for browsing through files on my pc share over the network

Emulators for playing games:
    nesoid
    snesoid
    n64oid
    gensoid
    psx4droid

All of which allow use of a ps3 controller through the dock's USB port (for the most part, at least).

There isn't a tablet tab on the market, though on the apps front page there is a 'Staff Choices for Tablets' list.