1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Thanks! I would like something quite firm and I think reds will be too light. Not sure where it will go though......!

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

When my Race arrives, the Poker will become my bag keyboard, will take it to labs etc :D

3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Blacks are the firmest linear you can get as a standard option. If you wanted firm, they certainly are. Poker is best gaming keyboard.

4. longweight

I am quite excited! Can't use a poker at work as I need the F and number keys to be separate. Can't sell my brown Filco tenkeyless ninja as my awesome girlfriend bought it for me and I want to keep it! So where does the poker go?

5. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Anybody know where to get o-ring dampers in the uk?

6. longweight

7. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Yeh seen them ok ta for that :)

8. Raptor77

Raptor77 What's a Dremel?

Yeah, orings make a pretty big difference (at least they do if you're as heavy handed a typist as me). It's especially noticeable with blues when the bottoming out noise without orings is drowning out the clicking.

I might well get one of those in the future, it might be nice to have a more portable keyboard. I definitely don't regret buying a fullsize keyboard though; I type numbers very slowly away from the number pad... and even more slowly now that I don't have keycap text :lol:

9. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

The o-ring mod is definitely worth it. It cuts down on noise so much and you can't really feel all the big of a difference when typing.

10. longweight

11. el2k

el2k Modder

12. longweight

I was thinking new :)

13. longweight

Actually I think I will try a KBC Poker first :)

14. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

The HHKBs are very highly regarded keyboards, but are pricey as a result.
    While it seems a lot to try topre switches, you could literally sell on for new price and probably get a buyer if you didn't like it :p

15. IvanIvanovich

Topre is so overhyped in my opinion. Yes, they are nice, but nowhere near worth that prices. It's essentially not more than a really nice feeling $300 rubber domes.
    Yes I have tried them, a friend of mine has one, and I will keep my Cherry anytime.

16. leslie

leslie Just me!

I did this on mine, there are some guides to show you how to embed the usb adapter inside the keyboard as well, which is what I did.

Not sure about others, but my little cube usb adapter lasted a little over a year before the whole thing died. I suspect it's just the usb adapter has failed as I can't find anything wrong with the IBM, ad let's face it, those things are indestructible, but I haven't swapped it back to ps2 yet to check.

The other downside to this is that on USB you lose nkey rollover. Most aren't familiar with even having the ability though so not loss.

As far as the IBM goes, they are THE keyboard for typing. Simply fantastic!
    However for gamers, they aren't great, but they work just fine, and they are quite noisy. If you focus on games, get some Cherry blacks or something. If you need a mix, browns work great. If you mostly type, the IBM is king, they also work as a weapon should you find yourself needing protection.

While I haven't tried them, just looking at the design, I'm just not impressed. It just looked like an overly complex way to make a dome try and feel like a mechanical.

Grimloon likes this.
  17. IvanIvanovich

Well that is sort of the thing with Topre, it doesn't even feel like mech, just like a REALLY nice domes, cause thats all it is. No argument it is way, way, way, better made than the average domes... but still, $300? If they were around $150, and there is really no reason not to be other than going out of the way to stay 'boutique' I could understand it. Also they could potentially put the Logitech and Razer et all 'gaming' domes out of business if they sold at around the $100-$150 range. Fujitsu you are dumb.

18. longweight

They are beautiful but not really worth $300 if the switches aren't great.

19. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

I'm finding that I'm steadily getting faster with the number row but initially I was very slow as I hadn't realised how much I used the number pad. However, I do find the compromise between full layout and portability with the tenkeyless is worth considering as it's noticeably smaller than a full keyboard. My desk now looks HUGE as I had one of the gaming monstrosities previously. It also fits neatly in my backpack in its box so I'm sorted for LAN sessions :thumb:

I managed to find my old (late 80's) IBM keyboard put away in the loft as well as a PS/2 adaptor for it - it truly is still the mutt's nuts for a typist but oh so LOUD!:jawdrop: The browns will definitely do me for day to day typing and gaming. I definitely agree that the IBM is an underrated melee weapon for the coming zombie apocalypse but don't underestimate the Filco's either as there's a lovely steel plate running through them that gives a nice bit of mass. They're more of a one handed club compared to the IBM two handed bludgeon though! :D

BTW, if anyone in the UK could use less than a full set of dampers I have 35 of the 50A O rings that are left over from the set I bought from WASD as they sent more than I needed. I can stick them in the post to whoever if they're of any use to you for damping something like just the spacebar or enter keys. I'll have to buy another set anyway when I put together the funds for another keyboard for the office so they'll just be gathering dust otherwise. First come, first served and apologies to the guys overseas but I have envelopes and UK first class stamps sat in the drawer, I don't have any international postage lying around.

20. longweight

Yes please!