1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Rampage IV Extreme UEFI help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mac_Trekkie, 18 Feb 2012.

1. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

I'm trying to overclock my friend's 3960x in the build I made for him (see sig), and the UEFI of the Rampage IV is killing me. I can increase and decrease clock speeds easy enough, but for whatever reason the DRAM speed is going up with it, and we only have RAM rated for DDR3 1600, every time its speed goes above that the overclock fails and it cant boot. Is there a way to decouple the DRAM speed from the BClk frequency? Manual doesn't say anything about it.

On a related note, how do I use the clear CMOS button? I've never had a motherboard with one that I've needed to use before. The system is acting a little bit unstable and resetting to safe defaults in the UEFI doesn't change anything. The manual doesn't mention the clear CMOS button at all, so I'm asking here.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. mikeyman198

mikeyman198 Lets pretend this is hilarious.

I might me wrong, but IIRC you should only really change the multiplier on SB chips, and not really touch the BCLK as this can cause instability.

The clear CMOS button will reset the bios to factory defaults AFAIK.

3. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

this is why I hate UEFI overclocking

4. Mac_Trekkie

I know what the Clear CMOS button does, I just don't know how to use it. Do I press it while the computer is off? While it's on? Booting? in the BIOS? I dunno.

Also thanks for the info I didn't know that. It would be nice the the official ROG UEFI Overclocking guide mentioned that. Last chip I tried overclocking on was my i7 870, and there was no multiplier to touch, I just ramped up the BClk..

5. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

Guest-16 likes this.
  6. UltraNEO*

UltraNEO* What's a Dremel?

You don't use the BCLK to OC with the SBE's, just boost the ratio/multiplier!!!

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Let's get facts straight here first. It has nothing to do with UEFI, it's a function of the platform. The layout is pretty much identical to older BIOS' in advanced mode.

If you're adjusting BClk DON'T. OC via multiplier and change the Bclk minimally. If you're switching gears you'll only get access to 125MHz, as the rest above are largely unstable outside of extreme OC afaik.

+rep to debs for UEFI Guide.

8. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

If your RAM clock speed is changing, then you're messing with the base clock. Stop doing this... no need. Just increase the CPU multiplier... so if you want 4.7GHz... set it to 47 (47x100).

9. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

As others have said hold the CMOS button down for about 5 seconds when the computer is off

As for overclocking agree with Pookey, just use the multiplier, ignore Bclk should only really bother using this if your trying to eek out every last MHZ from your processor for benching or something, Unlike Sandy Bridge where you shouldn't really touch Bclk at all with SB-E you can make small adjustments, but this depends how good you chip is, usually somewhere between 125 and 140 is about the max

And as for memory speed, that's linked to your Bclk so if you do want to OC via the BCLK try adjusting the RAM speed in the Bios if you increase your Bclk and look at the RAM after you've done it, say its at stock 1600Mhz, change it to 125 Bclk it's probably now at 1866Mhz which your RAM is probably unlikely to do. Hope that helps :)

10. Mac_Trekkie

Yes, thank you everyone, I understand that I shouldn't touch the BCLK now, I figured it out after the first three or four people told me. Now I know why this emoticon exists: :read:

I appreciate the help, but a quick thirty second or less read would tell you that I already got the message.

11. Pookeyhead

BCLK's real use is for when you're OCing RAM. With a 100MHz BCLK you can have DDR 1066, 1600, 2133 etc, but if you have DDR1600 RAM and want to run it at 1800, then you'll have to set a different BCLK CPU strap.. but if you have DDR3 1600 RAM, just leave it at 100MHz.

12. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

trust me its difficult when your on your mobile at work :thumb:

13. Pookeyhead

As others have said, reading on a mobile, or tablet at work, sometimes makes it hard to discern how many posts you've scrolled past.

You seriously complaining about receiving too much help? Really? Allow me to assist then.. I won' t be helping you any more.

thetrashcanman likes this.
  14. Mac_Trekkie

Sorry, I just hate having the same thing said to me repeatedly. It feels patronizing, I get enough of that at home and work.

15. Stu @ MSD

Stu @ MSD What's a Dremel?

Perhaps in future you should write in your opening topic
    "Please only 2 people reply..."

Pookeyhead likes this.