1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft reveals Windows 8 editions

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 17 Apr 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That's what Mark Shuttleworth said about Unity, and yet here I am hating it just as much as ever...

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

you'd get used to having your arm cut off, but that doesn't mean you'd like having it cut off or go out of your way to have it cut off...

and unity isn't that bad... i still bin it in favour of gnome but it is getting better [or at least not as bad as when it first showed up...]

3. stoff3r

stoff3r What's a Dremel?

Still no remote desctop for me then. Unless I turn into a pirate. It was all easier when everyone had pirated windows xp pro.

4. Nanu

Nanu What's a Dremel?

Agreed, I thought Metro was the stupidest idea ever at first, then I realised it allows me to access everything I need much faster, much more easily.

Gaming, content production, CAD work, rendering, animating, editing, office, internet, etc. Windows is taking huge leaps forwards.

Windows 7 ultimate has allowed me to do things with ease that have been a pain in the arse for decades.

5. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

Double post voodoo, ignore.

6. digitaldunc

So far, so meh. I'd like to be pleasantly surprised, but I doubt it.

How about Windows: Expert edition? It'd be Windows minus bloat semi-akin to minimal nlite installs -- built for speed. That's where *nix does things properly -- even X windows is optional if you don't want it.

Personally (and this goes for hardware manufacturers, too) I want quality, streamlined software/hardware that does the job and does it well (Think VLC rather than WMP) rather than feature bloat.

7. digitaldunc

Double post voodoo, ignore.

8. PCBuilderSven

PCBuilderSven Minimodder

Gnome seems to have lost it and unity is terrible, KDE for the win

9. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Yes, it actually is that bad ...for the desktop. Metro is excellent for touch interfaces, but it's an abomination for keyboard/mouse use. It's also completely unintuitively implemented for keyboard/mouse use. One would think they'd emulate something like click'n'drag to move around the Start screen, much like you touch and drag on a touch screen, but of course that'd be too simple... :wallbash:

Last edited: 17 Apr 2012
  10. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

I'll wait until windows 8 Pro pikey edition is released.... :worried:

11. stoff3r

stoff3r What's a Dremel?

Who installs linux for performance? That'll be performance in an extremely narrow field like folding @ home or something ? In general drivers appear to be outdated or not made for linux? That is my impression, not that I ever tried it.

12. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I don't see any negatives here at all. Unfortunately, Microsoft has it's haters and they've all turned up here today.

Can't wait for Windows RT Tablets so I can get rid of this stupid iPad.

13. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Laughable that it's a paid for upgrade. Beyond a joke that you need the pro version first!

Why not just release it in the app store and be done with it?

Oh I know why, because the pro version includes all the virtualisation hacks they probably need to get the code working!

14. yougotkicked

yougotkicked A.K.A. YGKtech

the only thing I see in windows 8 that make me want to upgrade are the native virtualization and ISO mounting features; something windows 7 can get with free 3rd party software. booting from a VHD seems to be the only significant advantage to the native support, but even that is possible under 7 (and earlier) it's just poorly supported.

15. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

VLC :p

16. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Not tried that one yet, I like XBMC a lot. :D:rock:

17. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

Two versions seem like the way to go. Keep it nice and simple. Am looking forward to playing with an RC version as as with Windows 7 I think they will be paying attention to the tech community/beta testers and I'd expect metro to mature quite before the final release.

As for Media Center does anybody still really use that? Every computer I've used it on it's been flaky as hell.
    XBMC Cheesecake

18. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

Just grab the source, compile for WinARM, volia.

Plugins, however..

Last edited: 18 Apr 2012
  19. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

i have tried metro, you throw an normal user in front of Windows 8 and they go ?????

using windows 95 to xp was easy change for your normal users

vista was like wtf where's the start button, where's the shutdown button, a lot of users if computers do not think (as to why they have put the words "shutdown" in Windows 7 as they hid it in vista as they thought users would want to use the sleep function, but that failed as they needed to tell motherboard makers to not make the power light flash or light up as most users want there pc off)

metro unless they change it to be simple to use, it will be an fail unless you got an tablet pc with an touch screen on x86 or x64 (but if MS get there own way it may be ultimately useless as it be running the ARM win8 version where most/all software does not work on it so you end up getting an iPad or good android tablet)

Windows 7 way better then XP was as Windows 2000 was (and 98 I guess) ME and Vista was more like public tests sold to retail that should of never got there, vista would of been better if they had done what had been done in vista 1.1v (win7, "system restore/trustedinstaller/windows update" and superfetch hogging disk time) as that's for the most part (fixes that could of been fixed in an service pack for it )

20. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Not really sure on how robust that solution is. Or how easy it will be to migrate data to another OS installation. Have you tried?
    If you use KB+M, yep, its bad.
    You can kind of get used to it, but it really is an adapted touch UI. You dont gain anything by using it.
    The same for the Start Screen.
    It does work for touch gadgets, though.

Tags: Edit