1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel Core i7-3770K CPU Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 23 Apr 2012.

1. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

USB 3.0 _is_ available with SB processors. It's part of the Panther Point PCH. PCI 3.0 on the other hand requires an IB processor.

2. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

Like others have said, even if you're still with an i7-920, like me, in the real world there is no need to upgrade yet. The 920 cuts thru everything at a pace that's just not a problem.

If you really want to speed up your system in a way that you're gonna notice, you're best replacing you're HDD with a SSD with you're os and fav games on it. A Vertex 3 with cost you £10 less than a IB chip and give you a speed increase you'll notice.
    And that's a truth Intel would rather people not learn too much about.

3. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Exactly, its about 5-10% faster than SB (if that).

Sysmark just isn't properly comparing the cpus, because if it did it wouldn't say a SB-E hexcore could compete with a IB quad. It can't, just look at the POV and 7-Zip benchmarks on AT for a better comparison.

Last edited: 24 Apr 2012
  4. captain caveman

captain caveman life is pain

is it just me but I was expecting so much more from intel this time round, i guess my 2500k is going to get a new lease of life

5. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Depends much on what you upgrade from. Me, I'd be coming from a C2D E8400. I'd say that'd be a major upgrade to me.

Well. Intel pretty much delivered what I expected, namely a slightly faster CPU consuming quite a bit less power. It's true that SB seems more destined for overclocking, but not all of us are doing that.

6. captain caveman

captain caveman life is pain

good couple of points my SB seems to overclock to 4.7 with ease

7. Niftyrat

Niftyrat Dremel overpriced like EA games

Another i7-930 owner going to hold off, really would like an SSD and maybe look to see if my gfx card could do with a replacement first (5870 currently). As I play at 1920 x 1080 there is not a lot that I play where my 930 struggles. Maybe next time there will be a large enough gap to make me want to upgrade I would like a smaller case as well my antec 1200 is just too big to comfortably stick me feet on :)

8. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

@azreal.... maybe I should have said "an i7-920 or later" :)

IB is of course night and day to your E8400.

9. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I have a simple question: Are there any Processors coming without GPU but with HT. Since I already have a excellent video-card I do not see the point in this. (and money)

Seeing the previews of this new processor it doesn't bring much if you have SB processor and you're into gaming. I search for some benchmarkings with the new processor for DAW operations. Like for example Steinberg Cubase or Presonus Studio-one with a couple of Heavy loading VST instruments like U-he Diva and such. These plugs brings my current system to a halt.

10. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Why don't you just go for a SB-E system if you need more multi-threading grunt? Like a hexcore 3930K with a P9X79-Pro. That will perform better than any IB build for the tasks you're after.

11. Jezcentral

Jezcentral Minimodder

I'm another smug i7 920 owner who won't be upgrading, but it's through no fault if Intel's. This looks great. I would have liked to see a faster chip, but with Intel so fast ahead of AMD, they can afford to put more emphasis on a lower TDP rather than raw speed.

But, hey, that's what overclocking it's for, right? :)

12. Konstantin

Konstantin What's a Dremel?

Once again sticking with my i7 920 @ 3.67 Ghz.

After 3 and a half years, with just a changed graphics card (8800GT to Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC), there is still no reason to upgrade when I game at 1920x1200. The bottleneck with high visual options is in the GPU, and any synthetic performance / video encoding gains are useless to me.

The chipset? Using a USB 3.0 flash drive with my USB 2.0 once a month isn't of real concern, and PCIe 3.0 is just a marketing gimmick at this point.

Hope Haswell will bring the real performance boost and increased overclocking with it's integrated VRs to drive the future video cards, while the need for USB 3.0 and PCIe 3.0 gets real.

13. ninja_racoon

ninja_racoon What's a Dremel?

In shogun 2 cpu test - i5 3570k stock is 56% faster than i7 2600k stock!?

14. Dewi

Dewi What's a Dremel?

I think the issue here is what IvyBridge processors are meant to be for. Firstly these processors are meant for home computers, which away from the enthusiast market is more and more centred on the laptop.  Most people use a computer to word process, run a DVD or BluRay disk and manage their online media.  For that, the market is moving towards CPUs with Intergated GPU's that can be fitted into small laptops.  The gaming sector of the market is a secondary, albiet lucrative consideration for Intel

People who do serious image or video editing will buy dedicated work stations using Sandybridge-E's and gamers will bolt the mainstream processors to a gaming GPU.  It makes no sense for Intel to make a dedicated gamers CPU with no intergrated GPU because any of the savings made in materials would be outweighed by the equipment and manufacturing costs associated with creating another line of chips.

I know much of this is stating the obvious, but I think it pretty much answers your question.  

15. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

My OCed 2500k laughs at the new Ivybridge chips!
    Heck im still using my two older Q6600s still in the backup rig and in the wifes rig. Great price point on those buggers.

16. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

Sticking with my 980x @4.4 ghz it does what I want and more no need for an upgrade yet,Ill wait and see what intel have in store in maybe a couple of years time that will give plenty of saving up time.

Teelzebub and JBond like this.
  17. ninja_racoon

ninja_racoon What's a Dremel?

You really sure about the Shogun 2 CPU test, Ivy bridge 56% faster than Sandy in min. fps? Can anyone confirm this?

If this test result is accurate I'm going to replace my i5 2500k with an i5 3570k just to get better minimum framerates in shogun 2..

18. Wavefront

Wavefront Minimodder

Well I maybe the only one who’s upgrading but I think the 3570k had my name on it though only as I’m running a AMD 64 x2 4200+ I rather wish I’d gone for the 2500k when it came out but hayho. Any news on bittechs review of the 3570k I thought it was coming out yesterday? (the review not the chip)

19. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

They must have found something exciting/unusual in their review of the 3570k, that's the only reason I can imagine for the delay in getting the article up.

20. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Double checked personally. The 2500K was on z68, the 3770K was on Z77. I too was really surprised by the results, but they were 100% repeatable.

Tags: Add Tags