1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft drops DVD support from Windows 8

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 4 May 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Microsoft just keeps sweetening the deal for Win8...

3. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Yeah id totally over complicate things too...

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

In other news - Sandy drops support for Windows 8 :D

To be fair I use Cyberlink power DVD due to Bluray....perhaps it doesn't matter.

5. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

So, when's the announcement that it's being renamed to Vista Plus coming?

6. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

Sometimes you have to wonder what goes on in the mind of the suits in these meetings.

Unless I've got it completely wrong, DVD playback doesn't have the same security constraints as, say, blu-ray. In that no-one has to pay a "fee" to get the security details to pay them.
    This is why there are many free DVD solutions, but few if any free Blu-ray players.

So Microsoft are basically saying "lets remove something that costs us nothing, so that we can look like miserable gits".

You know, I laugh at Apple sometimes and the way they take people for idiots. Seems the people at Microsoft are no better.........

7. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I have always looked forward to the next OS right back from Win 95, but the more I read about Win 8 the less I see any reason to move away from Win 7. It does just what I need it to.

It looks like MS finally realized that they had got it right with Win 7 after the crap with Vista and though, Hey lets go mess it all up again.

I wonder what goes on in these peoples heads some times:duh:

8. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

or Vista millenium :D

9. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

You have to pay fee, see http://www.dvdcca.org/css.aspx

They all use DeCSS.

No, they decided it is not worth for them to pay for licences which not many use anymore. If you want DVD playback, you will either get yourself a paid player, or solve it for yourself somehow (VLC, XBMC, other players).

10. jamesd1981

jamesd1981 What's a Dremel?

Thanks microsoft, you might think you were being your usually smart greedy selves, but you have actually done us a favour but not clogging up good drive space with your crap !

Other than windows and office all microsoft software is rubbish, the media centre and media player only play a couple of formats anyway.

I don`t think i know anyone who actually uses media centre.

11. Necrow

Necrow Minimodder

VLC media player Cheesecake

12. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I did, out of curiosity ... and I went back to XBMC after something like 5 minutes.

13. Cogwulf

Cogwulf What's a Dremel?

Finally. It's about time they stopped bundling windows with all their crap and let me choose for myself.

14. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I'd agree if it makes it cheaper but all it really means is like games it'll be the same price but with expensive DLC for the full experience.

15. stay

stay What's a Dremel?

I cannot see business buying into Win 8 so Win 7 will become the new XP for the next 10 years...

16. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

Am I right in thinking that Win8 Media Centre (that we are now going to have to pay more for) will give you DVD playback but won't support blu-ray playback? Why on earth would I pay twice, once for Media Centre and then for third party software to play my blu-rays? It's as if they don't want me to use Media Centre at all.

And I don't understand this line: "For those looking to add Media Centre to Windows 8, there's some good news:". What good news? I have to buy the more expensive version of windows to get what I already have?

And why would pro(fessional)s want Windows Media Centre? Or Metro for that reason. Surely these should be in the Standard "Home" edition?

Long gone are my dreams of having the OS support blu-ray and DVD playback.

17. Platinum

Platinum What's a Dremel?

Wait what, Zero Day DLC for a OS?

18. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Having tried to get to grips with Win8 and the lack of any X-Fi drivers amongst other issues, I'm switching back to Win7 and won't be re-visiting Win8

19. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Holy cow, there are some whiners on here.

Who the hell plays DVDs through their Windows PC anyway, with torrents and streaming coming out of our ears....I have literally *never* watched a DVD through my PC. I have external DVD and Blu-ray players for that. If you really do want to then download VLC (or similar) for absolutely nothing.

Meanwhile, surely most of us media-centre owning types are running XBMC these days anyway? I know I am.

I'm quite happy to have such things stripped out of the OS....and, if you remember, one of the biggest complaints about Vista was the media services running in the background all the time which nobody ever used.

There's just no pleasing some people...

Oh, and saying "Other than windows and office all microsoft software is rubbish" is such plain stupid.

20. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

I echo some of the above, if they are shaving off features from previous Windows under the pretence of them being added as paid 'apps' by the user at a later date then I sincerely hope this is reflected in the retail price of the product. Rather cynically, I very much doubt it will though.

Tags: Add Tags