Graphics RMA Returned No Fault Found

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PauloWhysalli, 23 May 2012.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Before doing anything with the bios, get the latest chipset drivers on to see if that works. If not then flash the bios.

2. PauloWhysalli

PauloWhysalli Confused.com

Ok will try that first then, never flashed the bios before so will have to have a look how thats done.

3. Steelez

Steelez Minimodder

Had exactly the same problem with my wife's computer. Swapped her rattling power supply for a brand new Corsair and had the exact issue you described. RMA'd it and replaced it with an Antec which works perfectly.

The Corsair PSU worked with her old lower spec graphics card, but put in her current card and it went back to not having a gpu detected even though you could hear windows boot etc. Put her old power supply back in and the graphics card worked again.

4. PauloWhysalli

The PSU was new and purchased with the graphics card. Might try updating the chipset drivers and flashing the bios before I start spending more money. Will bear that in mind though.

5. The_Crapman

530w should be plenty for a 6870.

6. PauloWhysalli

Yep checked it before I bought it to make sure it would run it. As soon as I get it back from Ebuyer will give it a go.

7. Steelez

Steelez Minimodder

Yes it should be definitely, but the 650w Corsair should have been plenty for my wife's GTS450 however it was faulty and didn't seem to be providing enough power to the PCIE slots or the GPU I guess. If she'd still had her old graphics card in I'd probably have never noticed either until it was time to upgrade.

Just worth keeping in mind something to try when you're trouble shooting, your situation might be different. I am lucky in that I have spares of most things and what I don't have spare I can borrow from someone to test components.

8. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

This is why I don't return things to the store. I'd rather pay for the cost of shipping the manufacturer than have someone tell me there's nothing wrong with my hardware.

9. PauloWhysalli

Ok update on my graphics card, turned up this morning from Ebuyer, plugged it in a few minutes ago..... same problem. The thing that I have noticed is that its taking a lot longer to post than with my 4850 installed. I'm not sure if thats relevant to be honest but it does seem a little odd.

10. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Don't suppose you could try that card out in another pc? You considered shipping it back to the manufacturer?

11. The_Crapman

I think that's definitely a case for updating the mobo's chipset drivers.

12. PauloWhysalli

I've tried this and its not made any difference unfortunately.

I dont have another PC I can try this in to be honest. Reading around the internet its appears to be a commonish problem with this board so I may well update the board now.

Thinking of going for this

http://www.ebuyer.com/267114-gigabyte-ga-g41mt-s2p-g41-socket-775-ddr3-onboard-vga-7-1-channel-audio-matx-ga-g41mt-s2p

and this

http://www.ebuyer.com/247674-corsair-8gb-2x4gb-ddr3-1333mhz-xms3-memory-kit-cl9-1-5v-unbuffered-cmx8gx3m2a1333c9

13. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Theres so many threads around the net on issues with this board that I would rule out fault with the card and driver issues.

Those two items look a decent match to me.

14. PauloWhysalli

I am looking to OC the Q6600, will this give me the facility to do that?