1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food & Drink BBQ thread!

Discussion in 'General' started by digitaldunc, 28 May 2012.

1. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

So in short, as Britain actually appears to be having a summer this year of sorts, who's having a BBQ?

I'm having one tonight, though I must admit I'm pretty crap due to lack of practice -- any tips or secrets to share?

I'd like to hear general BBQ discussion -- preferred meats, sauces, charcoal or gas, booze?

Get cooking!

2. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Yes. Since red meat is a basic requirement for BBQs, I recommend red wine. If you have enough, the variety doesn't matter so much.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Would love to... but i don;t have anywhere to set one up...

as for cooking advice though... do most of the cooking under the grill/in the oven and just finish the stuff off on the BBQ

4. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Boerewors, Chicken, Steaks. Use dry rub on the chicken and marinade for the steaks. We are having the biggest barbecue/braai in history this weekend.

BentAnat likes this.
  5. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I like beef meats

I like pork meats

I like chicken meats

I like most of the other meats (that I have tried)

On a BBQ - ostrich is amazing, and if you live in/around east sussex there is a really good ostrich farm just up the road from Ditchling that sell great meat.

I like them in all kinds of sauces. I especially like potato salad and pasta salad (gimme carbs!), Im trying to find a picture on facebook of the 72oz steak we had the other week, but that was in not-bbq weather so we fried it but we are going to get a couple for the bbq I think next week (as pay day happens in the coming days)

6. bagman

bagman Minimodder

I have already had 5 BBQ's, I do it the proper way with charcoal as it tastes quite a lot nicer, and I cook every minute on the BBQ other wise there is now point.

To get the most out of your meat you should marinade it. The best marinades I have ever had all come from Ainsley Harriet BBQ Bible. I can recommend the apricot glaze.

Some thing I like to put on the BBQ for desert is bananas. just slit there skin in 3 places on 1 side and put them on. They take about 5-10 min each side depending on the heat. But it is really nice with vanilla ice cream and melted dark chocolate.

For a simple summer drink: get glass, add ice, add rum, then half exotic fruit juice (pineapple or mango etc), then half lemonade (you can add mint leaves) and you have a very tasty refreshing drink.

7. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

Hehe, indeed.

Never heard of that one -- looks like german bratwurst. Sounds tasty.

5? Woah -- you've been busy!

I'm of the same opinion -- if you're using gas you may as well do it indoors as it just doesn't impart the same flavor.

I was over in Oz at the start of the year and every BBQ I went to was gas which I found pretty disappointing -- the sausages were crap as well.

8. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Get yourself on YouTube and search for the BBQ pit boys. Watch and drool.

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Another good one is a combo of orange, mango and pineapple pieces soaked in rum, orange juice and a good dollop of brown sugar (don't skimp). Skewer it then cook it gently over a dying barbecue - serve hot with ice cream/cream.

Another tip is not to try and cook everything to be ready at once, chill out, cook and nosh some stuff, then keep going. Also, don't fall into the trap of over-cooking stuff, or of getting things too hot (sausages/burgers), keep it low and slow. :)

10. bagman

bagman Minimodder

I had 2 BBQ in March :p

Finding tasty sausages abroad is very difficult I find so in the end I just don't bother. Just stick to what the native deliquescent is. I think the sausages in Britain are the best in the world tbh, can't think of a place which have better sausages, even sainsburys taste the difference sausages are a lot tastier than any where else. But for me the best sausages come from Proctors, problem is I think they only have 2 shops, 1 in London and the other in Ipswich. My favourite flavour is pork and leek.

11. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Once your grill is hot rub a bit of kitchen towel soaked in oil over it before you put anything one. Once what your cooking is done, scrape the grill and re-oil it again before you put the next thing on. This should stop anything sticking to it and keep the grill nice and clean. You should only ever clean it when it's hot too, if you leave it cool you will have inevitable cleaning nightmare.

Buy the BBQ Bible book by Steven Raichlen. It's a brilliant book which covers cooking techniques and is full of amazing recipes.

12. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Squid and shrimp kebabs on the bbq are amazing. For steaks I like to use Chimichurri rubs over hickory.
    Charcoal and/or bbq hardwoods are a must for sure.

13. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Already had 2 odd.. however some people wanted to cook on the flames <.< Nout can beat a bbq than finishing it off with a mass water fight :p

14. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Agreed, but the advantage of gas is within 10 mins of getting home from work you can have dinner cooking on the barbecue ;) and you can use a smoke box with wood chips and herbs for a whole variety of smoky tastes :) but don't overdo it!

For me it's ribs and chicken with my mother's bbq sauce recipe - beats anything on the market :rock:

Last edited: 28 May 2012
  15. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I'm going to sabotage our gas barbecue this weekend and buy a new charcoal one. I love BBQ'd meat, but it tastes so much better cooked over charcoal than gas! Yes, it's more work, but it's worth it :D

16. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

Damn this diet!

Having to go to BBQ's and just having salads is no fun :(

17. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Tonight I got some pork chops with some English made boerewors and some pap, with some of my special gravy. Someone is going to get a surprise

18. bagman

bagman Minimodder

I don't find that charcoal is that much more work you just have to be organised. I find that you can light the BBQ and while you wait for it to get to the right state you can prepare all the food. Also with a charcoal BBQ it never gets furry.

Last edited: 28 May 2012
  19. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

No, no. Have a gas and a charcoal! That way when you have a party you can cook huge amounts of delicious food. :D

20. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Furry ??? Wtf are you doing to make furry bbq food? whatever it is you're doing it wrong :hehe:

And +1 Krikkit, gas for mid week quick time, charcoal for when you have time and both for huge quantities when we all come round for dinner Matt :D