1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food & Drink BBQ thread!

Discussion in 'General' started by digitaldunc, 28 May 2012.

1. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

It's raining here now or I'd be grilling right now.

I also use coals, though I get chunk charcoal and woods harvested from my own lands-you think you've had hickory smoke, wait till you felled the tree yourself and cut the chips with your own axe. If I could build a pit to make charcoal in myself I'd really be in business (and able to cook whole pigs.) I'm probably going to make a brick grill when we finish our new house. We'll have a nice roofed porch area, and it'll go great there with entertaining. Ourselves, of course.

2. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I'm BBQed out, cooked for 60 on Saturday :rock: started @ 14:00 wrapped up @ 23:00, my back is killing me and I think the heat has killed this years designation of sperm I had :waah:

No pictures as it was basic stuff only, steaks, ribs, burgers and sausages.

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Amen to that, brother. :rock:

4. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I use propane in my grill. Of course, I always have 2 spare tanks on hand because I live in an area where it pays to be prepared. If we lose utilities, I'll have plenty of fuel to boil water and heat food without having to worry about running out of coals.

Not that it really matters that much anyway, since I almost always do basic grilling using direct heat. If I'm cooking burgers on a weeknight I can't be bothered fussing around with coals. Besides, I live in Texas - if I want BBQ I'm within 5-10 minutes of a number of quality, award-winning places, and I don't have to clean up after I'm done eating. :D

5. doyll

doyll Minimodder

I use both gas and natural chunk charcoal. Gas for convenience. It's so nice to step out onto deck, light the BBQ, step back inside and get meat, corn, peppers etc ready, step out and brush of grill, put food on grill, turn a few minutes later, remove in another couple minutes and eat. Only cleanup is couple of prep plate & bowls and eating plates/utensils.

Use gas BBQ a couple times a week. Charcoal BBQ is used mostly summer months for gatherings.

6. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Supermonkey needs to change his avatar to one of Hank Hill.
    [​IMG]

7. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

[​IMG]

I have been doing quite a bit of BBQ'ing lately but keep forgetting to take pics when I'm done. This time I remembered! My first attempt at pulled pork, cooked to 90c internal temp after fours hours of indirect grilling and smoking. No pictures of it shredded and sauced but it was rather tasty.

8. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

^ Even though I'm not a fan of pork, that looks delicious.

I thought this thread was extinct, obviously not :)

9. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Omnomnom, that pork looks great.

I have watched a few vids of people going low and slow for pulled pork, some went to 14 hours of cooking!!

10. PauloWhysalli

PauloWhysalli Confused.com

If you want pulled pork in the winter I highly recommed a slow cooker. One cheap pork joint, one cheap bottle of full fat coke, 8 hours on low then a good quality BBQ sauce and another hour in the slow cooker. Absolutely immense!!

11. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

This thread is making me want to [/vegetarian] .....

12. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

it's hard to find apeice of meat big enough to need 14 hours of cooking, even the largest thing they have in the super market normally take 4-6hrs.

Here's some pic of my last BBq (top left and bottom are brisket top right is pork but) (pork butt was brined overnight in a treakle/salt mix and then all dry rubbed and smoked with mesquite chips)

RAW
    [​IMG]
    2 1/2 hours
    [​IMG]
    brisket after 4 hours
    [​IMG]
    Didn't take a picture of the pork finished..... but it tasted good/

13. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

That looks very good Sp! I may attempt a brisket soon but it looks to be a bit more of a technical challenge than the pork. I will wait until I have better control over the BBQ as I have only used it four times so far. I'm very tempted to buy a smoker but I have also spotted this Pizza oven attachment for my Weber. Details can be found here.

[​IMG]

14. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

15. bagman

bagman Minimodder

Anyone else here use the bbq to cook desert to? (apart from marshmallows)

16. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Ok guys, if by chance you're passing by Burlington, Vermont, you must stop and go to 'Big Fatties BBQ'. They have ribs....I can't even describe it !!!

17. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Bagman. Try cutting into a banana stuffing in 1/2 a chopped up mars bar and a small tot of rum. Then put that onto the BBQ untill the skin goes black.

18. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

It's just an outdoor oven with a higher moisture content and decent quality briquettes or charcoal are inert flavour wise so should not flavour the food so you should be able to cook anything on your BBQ that you can cook in your household oven. I watched a demo with from the Weber Experience guys and they cooked a chocolate cake on the BBQ but as I don't like cake or chocolate I did not wait to see how it came out.

19. bagman

bagman Minimodder

I already do that, was wondering if there was any more recipes.

20. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Nectarine sliced in half, remove stone, put in spoonful of demerara sugar into the middle and a little butter. You then wrap it in tin foil and bake on the BBQ.

But I can't remember but I think there is something else as it is the GF's recipe. If you're interested I'll have a word with her later.