1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Latest Steam & General Gaming Bargains: Read first post!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by AshT, 1 Dec 2009.

1. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

I'd avoid buying a non steam version of Anno. Sure this deal might be cheaper now, but you will not be able to buy future DLCs or the expansion on Steam when they are for sale but only from Ubisoft. Quite a few of my friends bought Anno from other sources than me, all of them paid more in the long run.

Is anyone interested in a 4-pack of E.V.E: Divine Cybermancy?

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I got Anno 2070 from Ubisoft themselves when they had the collectors edition at half price, so far none of the DLCs have bothered me, however it will be interesting to see the price of Deep Ocean (I think it's called), the expansion.

3. PegasusM

PegasusM Stand back, I'm doing science

It's currently cheaper to buy 4 single copies than the 4 pack on the flash sale!

4. Aterius Gmork

For you in the UK maybe. The rest of the EU pays twice your price though.

5. tyepye

tyepye Minimodder

Buying Witcher 1,2 and Longest Journey pack today.

I know it's a little cheaper on GOG.com for Witcher but its only a couple of quid, I like having as many games as I can on Steam. Also you can redeem steam versions on GOG anyway so its all good :)

6. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

But not only are they a lot cheaper on GOG ($17 for both games), they're also DRM free. And you're directly supporting the people making these games. :)

7. tyepye

tyepye Minimodder

Only £3 cheaper which is not really that much in my opinion, I like to have my games on steam so it was worth it.

8. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

You could have bought The Witcher twice for that and gifted it to the needy... ;)

Anyway, to each his own. Personally, I'm happy I went with GOG for my Witcher 2 purchase. At some point, when it's gotten really cheap on STEAM I'll probably buy another copy there too.

9. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Can't you add games to steam anyway?

10. hugo60

hugo60 What's a Dremel?

Not doing badly so far, just bought Alan Wake and Dead Space 2. I wonder if Arma 2: CO is going to go any cheaper? I am trying to convince my friends to try out DayZ and maybe if it's cheap i can persuade them, 75% off would be nice.

11. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I might be wrong in this observation, but it seems as if all the games in this year's summer sale come up at least once as a daily deal, a flash sale and as a community vote. At the same price, mind you. So unless ArmA 2 hasn't come up yet at all the price you've seen will most likely be the best price in this sale.

12. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Other than about 3 minutes on the PS3 I've never played any Fallout. If I was only to get one, which one should I get - Fallout 3 or New Vegas?

13. tyepye

tyepye Minimodder

Arma2 oa is the last thing I think I want from the sale. Hopefully a £15 or less daily deal comes up to match that from the developers website. Hasn't shown up on any daily/flash/community deal yet so fingers crossed.

14. Aterius Gmork

Depends on what kind of gameplay you are looking for.

I have played a lot of Fallout 3 in the last few days. When I started out the game was great. However now that I have the best weapons, max level and apparently chose a good build the game is just tedious. Nothing is a real challenge anymore. The game rewards you if you choose a higher difficulty - you earn a lot more exp for each kill, sometimes more than twice as much as you would on normal difficulty. The game does not feel like a radioactive post-apocalyptic wasteland to me. Might have something to do with the thousands of rounds of ammunition and hundreds of health packs I carry around with me.

Also the longer I play the buggier the game seems to get. I had to disable auto save or the game wouldn't save, and one out of three times I save the game will crash. the game will also crash in regular intervals now. Also - I hate Liberty Prime with a passion.

Now I have not played New Vegas much yet as I just have bought it a few days ago in a flash sale, but I have seen a friend play the game and have talked a lot with him about the differences.

New Vegas seems to be closer to the original two Fallout games than the third game. The biggest inclusion is the new hardcore mode which you can activate with every difficulty, which requires you to eat, drink and sleep. Considering that almost every water source in the wasteland is irradiated, and non-irradiated water is very expensive this is a major difference gameplay wise. Also ammunition will weigh you down, you cannot carry a hundred mini-nukes with you.

I also liked the setting more, but I have seen only very little so I might be wrong.

I'd get New Vegas with all DLCs (as most mods require all DLCs but one). It's also on sale right now.

15. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

If you don't care about Bethesda raping the canon and the relatively weak main quest then Fallout 3 is an outstanding game. The leveling system is horrendously broken once you start powergaming it but it's not a huge deal.

New Vegas on the other hand is in my opinion an absolute masterpiece. It has updated mechanics, a more competent leveling system, great atmosphere, great story, good characters, it revisits a lot of things that were going to be in the scrapped Black Isle version of Fallout 3 and the story DLC is fantastic.

If i were you i'd get both and play through F3 first - the gameplay of F3 will feel a bit dated if you do it after NV.

16. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Two good answers, thank you. Buying both is not gonna happen - got more than enough 'big' games that I haven't played through yet, buying two of the same IP is overkill.

Based on your answers the choice seems obvious: New Vegas. If it was all-in for £3.74 I'd be on it, or if the DLC wasn't so recommended I'd just go for the basic package. But £7.50 is above my self-imposed Steam Sale limit... what to do, what to do? Do I need all that DLC?

17. Virus44

Virus44 What's a Dremel?

Not really but if you want a lot of overpriced cool guns it could be worth it getting the dlc just get the regular edition of fallout new vegas for 3.74 and see what you think :thumb:

18. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I've enjoyed FO3 *immensely*. Spent most of last year's summer vacation on it and then some. Got the GOTY version, btw. So imagine my joy at being able to get FO:NV at a great price this sale. Easily the game I'm most looking forward to playing in the near future (summer vacation coming up :)). And of course I got the Ultimate Edition.

IMHO, unless there's a *massive* difference in price go for the most complete edition. For FO3 GOTY in EUR it's no contest as the GOTY costs exactly the same as the regular version (4.99 EUR). For FO:NV the Ultimate Edition is twice as expensive as the regular version (7.99 EUR vs 4.99 EUR) but it's a price I have absolutely no problem with considering the hours of fun I have to look forward to. :)

Actually, the only Fallout DLC which may consist of "overpriced cool guns" could be the Gun Runners' Arsenal (and perhaps the Courier's Stash) DLC for FO:NV. The rest of the DLC for both games consists of quite sizable extra campaigns.

19. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

It took me 3 attempts to get into an enjoy fallout 3, so I am unsure if I should go for this New Vegas deal.

I also never got round to completing any of the FO3 DLC other than operation anchorage.

Is NV really worth it? What about the DLC? I am a little put off as the lonesome road DLC gets bad ratings on metacritic.

The ultimate edition of NV is only worth it if I am likely to play and enjoy the DLC, although I acknowledge generally speaking both versions are a good price at the moment.

Does it use any other form of DRM, like games for windows live or other servers logons or is steam the only DRM?

20. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

New Vegas isn't as easy to get into. It's not as tightly knit a storyline as in Fo3, but the gameplay is, arguably, better than in FO3, simply due to the extra depth in most things.