1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Maple's Colossal Problem; CPU whining

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maple, 21 Jun 2012.

1. maple

maple Minimodder

I couldn't try the budget supply in the beast pc since it doesn't have enough grunt, i tried both GPUs

2. maple

maple Minimodder

also if you look at the p8p67 review its sata performance is no better than my current board

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Hi maple, just remind us of the basic specs of your two machines please? The PSU in your budget machine will be fine for testing the beast machine, just as long as you don't put it under full load.

4. maple

maple Minimodder

The budget supply needs 2x pci e for the GTX 460 and it needs 2 of those 4 pin cpu too go on the Mobo so the budget supply can't even fit

Before the budget machine went down I put the beast supply on the budget and it worked fine so I think the power supply is okay I think somehow the boards went down but I just don't get why they went down

Budget spec

E6400
    4gb ram
    4850 GPU

Beast PC

I5 2400
    8GB Ram
    GTX 460
    Asus Xonar SoundCard

Since my parents helped me with upgrading he beast pc I'm really stuck now dont think they really want to get me 2 boards

Last edited: 27 Aug 2012
  5. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

So you used the power supply from the beast PC in the budget PC and now neither work? Hmm, something fishy is afoot... Do you have a power supply compatible with the beast PC you can borrow?

I'm thinking the power supply has failed to the point that one of the rails has gone out of spec and the Asus board on the beast PC knows something is wrong and wont boot whereas the ASRock board in the budget PC doesn't have such a feature, it booted and consequently has broken something. That's my theory anyway but I could be talking nonsense :hehe:

6. maple

maple Minimodder

I've edited my last post with the pcspecs

The beast power supply worked at first on the budget pc though this is what I don't understand and its why I think its okay and the board

7. maple

maple Minimodder

I put the budget stuff back in the budget case as it was before and not working comes on fans spin but no picture and hard drive doesn't even come on, i'm so worried, need atleast one pc working

8. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

What board is in the beast. I think if you use the PSU from budget in beast you will be ok. Check the manual, you should be fine with 1x4pin connector into the board instead of an 8 pin. If you can use the gpu from budget in beast too that negates the need for the 2x6 pin pci-e connectors. As an aside how much experience do you have with pc's, i may be wrong but I get the impression you are quite new to it. We've all been there, don't worry about it, we can get to the bottom of the issue and hopefully get it resolved.
    First things first, I would remove the board from the case and remove everything except the cpu. Then see if you get any form of beep codes.

9. maple

maple Minimodder

Asus p8h61pro don't think id trust it to power the i5 the psu the boards back in the box now though since I dismantled the pc again

and no beep coded ever

board will be going on a journey cross country

most likely. in tbe back of a van on the way to pompey

10. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Do you have a speaker plugged into the speaker header on the board? If not then you won't get beep codes. I don't know how big the other psu is but assuming you have a more than 350w it should be fine to test.
    We run our i3 machines at work on 350s we have i5 running on 450s.
    Hope you get it sorted.

11. maple

maple Minimodder

Thanks mate, novatech confirmed fault on the board and they're repairing it I think so it wasn't my fault just wonder what's happened to the budget board if it's my fault or its just failed like this

Novatech don't refund postage either and it was just under 7 pound to post

lancer778544 likes this.
  12. maple

maple Minimodder

no news from novatech not sure what they're doing

What shall I do with the budget pc? Get the cheapest board I can find to get it going again or get something decent do I can get a decent overclock out of the E6400

13. maple

maple Minimodder

Still nothing from novatech

Don't know what to do about both pcs

14. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Since its been over a week now maple, I'd give them a ring and ask what's going on

15. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

My rma with novatech took around 6 weeks as the board had to be returned to asus. Those were a long 6 weeks.

16. maple

maple Minimodder

I was thinking of doing that however the rma number was put in the motherboard box so I dont have one to give them on the phone

17. maple

maple Minimodder

thank you! so now I know what to expect 4 weeks to go then not too happy now

I may aswell get moving with the budget pc. How much do you think would be a top board for it so I can get a good O.C on the e6400 i'm thinking of either doing that or selling the E6400 for hopefulyl around what I got it for so then I can fund a cheapo board and use the P4 instead

18. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

19. maple

maple Minimodder

Looks like his board has sold, i'm not sure what to, look for on a 775 board how to telling its good or not

20. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder